How to appeal forced name change

Theoretically, players chose to report your name or it was ping’d some other way outside of that and was reviewed by Blizzards team. Ultimately they have the final discretion to institute a name change.

I highly doubt you would get a default forced name change just from player reports with no moderator oversight. Best option is to take this to CS or open a ticket, though I will say you are unlikely to get any real answer you would find satisfactory.

Reductionist reasoning like this is rarely if ever accurate.

1 Like

We both agree that it is dumb to do so.

Yes, that is literally it. Start and finish. As long as the name itself is not tied to something that can be controversial, disruptive, etc, it does not violate any rules as long as it is not on an RP server.

Yeah, we both agree on that. That’s the whole point of this thread. Whether you agree with the individual in question or not is moot, as other players can easily disagree and report the name as the name is tied to controversy.

The only thing I’m doing is correcting your correction to me, which, you already stated here. Names after places or things or whatever is ok on non RP servers. Whether that name is disruptive is a different question and topic.

Sounds like cope. As someone who has been forced to name change, and has multiple suspensions across multiple Blizzard platforms, that is cope. The systems aren’t automated outside of squelching, which this isn’t.

My name isn’t based on someone who went to court for murder charges, so while you can feel free to rally people together to report me, I doubt the human review would see my name in violation.

No, I think your name is disruptive and you deserve what you got. Have you tried naming your character after anything other than an individual who went to court in a high profile murder case?

2 Likes

I was logged in for less than 5 minutes for the first time in 2 years. There was no “review” lol. Just an automated system.

Cope or not, it was 5 min from login to forced name change. Zero chance there was any human interaction on Blizzard’s part.

It takes more than one person, as that’s how the Squelch works, too.

Think of it like Blizzard’s stance on Spam. While discussing Politics in Trade Chat is not against the rules, per se. But if enough people report you for Spam, then it’s “Spam”.

The reason tickets wait times are as long as they are is due to it not being a 100% automated system. Sounds like cope. You picked a generally accepted as controversial figure to name yourself after, you cannot be surprised this happened.

Further anecdotes, had a friend name themselves after Obama and Biden. Took a year but they eventually got hit with a forced name change too.

2 Likes

So we agree it is an automated system that doesn’t actually take Blizzard’s own TOS into account.

Whether it’s automated or not, is irrelevant.

'Cause I even heard you can just rename yourself the same name, you got reported for, but I caution against this.

That being said, it could be somebody wanted your name that you weren’t using. That happens, too.

Again, 5 real-time minutes from first login in many many months to forced log off and name change.

The fact that ticket wait times are so long and I was actioned almost instantly is strong evidence that it was automated.

I don’t care if you think it’s cope, you can’t actually believe that a real person at Blizzard viewed the report and made a decision, can you?

I transferred from a closed SOM realm to an Era realm, not like I was holding the name on an Era realm and logged on and someone thought “finally, it’s my chance”

They could have taken the name any time in the last almost 2 years.

I mean, it’s not belief its reality. One streamer makes a verified as false video about the squelch system and suddenly everyone thinks the whole process is fully automated.

Question I don’t think has been asked yet, why did you choose the name Rittenhouse initially?

3 Likes

You’re assuming that you weren’t reported prior to it.

Even in the event you’re telling the truth, Blizzard reserves the right to outright ban words or phrases from the naming systems in game. Be grateful that all that happened was that you were forced to name change your level 14 dwarf.

That’s enough bait taking for me for one day though. I doubted this was a real thread prior to commenting, but your reluctance to even acknowledge the ruleset before you and your insistence to scream about automated systems only confirms what I suspected prior, which is that this is just another bait thread.

In the case that this isn’t bait, I do hope you play with fire and keep the name. Can’t wait to read about your “unfair” suspension.

7 Likes

I’m seriously considering playing as “PlayerYTSHTR” — the name blizzard chose for me — and see what happens.

Are you suggesting that someone who names himself after a white nationalist murderer might be dishonest?

4 Likes

Now this is cope.

Maybe they did and Blizz finally responded accordingly.

If you want to keep your names, play them regularly or more than once every 2 years.

If you were a youtube streamer this would be hilarious because I read it as YOUTUBESHTR. At that point I would concede that blizz had it out for you.

3 Likes

X

1 Like

I thought it was funny. Pretty sure I already answered that. Funny names aren’t against TOS. I saw a warrior once who was named “KatyParry” thought it was hilarious.

IDK why you would find his name funny given the association

You see the differences in the name choice and their background associations yea? Context always matters.

1 Like

I’m sure there’s folks out there that think “Trump” is funny. Doesn’t make it OK.

Because it is the name of a real life person.

That IS a violation of the TOS.

You’re welcome.

3 Likes