How to appeal forced name change

While true, there’s (also) this part of the naming policy under the “code of conduct”, as you kindly pointed out:

Which (also) reads:

Blizzard games offer a fun and safe place to interact with one another across various game worlds. We encourage our players to cooperate and compete in our games, but crossing the line into abuse is never acceptable. If you come across a player violating the policies below, you should report them.

Communication

When participating in communication of any kind (chat, voice communication, group finder), you are responsible for how you express yourself. You may not use language that could be offensive or vulgar to others.

Hate speech and discriminatory language is inappropriate, as is any obscene or disruptive language. Threatening or harassing another player is always unacceptable, regardless of language used. Violating any of these expectations will result in account restrictions. More serious and repeated violations will result in greater restrictions.

Naming

Names are subject to the same rules established above. Any name the player has the ability to customize—such as player names, BattleTags, and guild names—must be appropriate and inoffensive. Any name that violates our standards or disrupts the community will be changed, and additional limitations may be placed on the offending account per our discretion.

Take note that acceptable names are determined by player reports and Blizzard’s decision, and role-playing servers may have distinct standards for using game-appropriate names.

This applies to ALL realms and not just RP.

So someone can name their character “Trump” but because of the name having such a stigma, it’s not acceptable.

I just avoid using real life names. You don’t know who you’re going to upset.

2 Likes

That is exactly as it is though.

This is in the code of conduct in reference to names. If a player feels it to be disruptive, they can very much, and in their right, report it. Blizzard views acceptable names based mostly on player reports. You can read it in the quote.

The “naming something after someone or something” is exclusively RP.

The meat of this is whether or not the name is disruptive. There is a distinct difference between naming yourself “Pepsi”, or naming yourself after “insert whatever political, or controversial figure here”.

While both are names after someone or something, “Pepsi” would only be in violation on an RP realm.

2 Likes

Rittenhouse falls under this. Your forced name change likely has nothing to do with perceived offensiveness.

3 Likes

This wasn’t on an RP realm.

1 Like

At one time the now RP naming conventions applied to all realms.

Either way best to avoid well known people and brands in your name.

You do have the option to rename your character the same name just know that if it gets flagged again you will get a temp ban to go with the name change.

1 Like

Again:

I did want ask, was this on Bloodsail Buccaneers? If so, it’s an RP server subjected to RP name rules.

So, no, no one is to name their character:

As, yes, it’s:

On RP Servers, in this case Bloodsail Buccaneers.

2 Likes

No, not BB. Not an an RP realm. Non-RP PvP realm.

ETA: To be clear, if it were an RP realm, I would agree that the name change was deserved and wouldn’t argue against it. Not disputing that the name could disrupt RP immersion but that shouldn’t apply on a non-RP realm.

ah fair missed that bit. Even still everything is up to blizzard discretion in both the ToS and the CoC.

Regardless, I find it incredibly suspect that you chose that name and are now suddenly surprised it was flagged.

Edit: Just an an anecdote, I did have a friend who really liked a certain band in HS back when TBC was current content. Named 4 characters after each band member, was hit with a forced name change on all four. Ironically his Guild name was the name of the band and didn’t get flagged.

I’m not disagreeing with you on if you should or shouldn’t name yourself after things that exist. I avoid those names myself.

I’m just correcting your correction. Naming yourself after a person, brand, icon, location, etc, is only applicable to RP realms.

Now, if that person, place, or whatever is named on a non RP realm, but the name itself represents something controversial, like the name of an individual who went to court on murder charges, and the verdict, no matter what way it went, is controversial, then it would fall into disruptive territory.

2 Likes

I’d take note of this part of the CoC:

Blizzard games offer a fun and safe place to interact with one another across various game worlds. We encourage our players to cooperate and compete in our games, but crossing the line into abuse is never acceptable. If you come across a player violating the policies below, you should report them.

Communication

When participating in communication of any kind (chat, voice communication, group finder), you are responsible for how you express yourself. You may not use language that could be offensive or vulgar to others.

Hate speech and discriminatory language is inappropriate, as is any obscene or disruptive language. Threatening or harassing another player is always unacceptable, regardless of language used. Violating any of these expectations will result in account restrictions. More serious and repeated violations will result in greater restrictions.

Naming

Names are subject to the same rules established above. Any name the player has the ability to customize—such as player names, BattleTags, and guild names—must be appropriate and inoffensive. Any name that violates our standards or disrupts the community will be changed, and additional limitations may be placed on the offending account per our discretion.

Take note that acceptable names are determined by player reports and Blizzard’s decision, and role-playing servers may have distinct standards for using game-appropriate names.

1 Like

We’re saying the same thing.

We aren’t though. You tried to correct me that it applied to all servers and not just RP realms. That is not the case.

1 Like

“Suspect”?

The only question is: is the name obscene? It is decidedly not.

1 Like

Its not a secret that it is the name of someone people are highly divisive over.

Not my job to pass judgement though, just my two cents. I wouldn’t be surprised getting a forced change if I named myself “OJSimpson”. I did sneak an edit in there with my experiences surrounding forced name changes in the past.

3 Likes

The name “Rittenhouse” meets none of these criteria.

Subjective offense at a name can’t possibly be the standard though, by that standard anyone claiming offense at any name for any reason is entitled to force the player to change their name.

1 Like

Which is up to the player base to decide, and the player base has.

Rename or run the risk of a harsher punishment.

2 Likes

It is though?

While naming yourself after a real life figure is acceptable on non-RP realms, I’d still caution in using them.

'Cause even “Bud Light” is controversial, now. Who knows, later down the line “Pepsi” might as well. Hence me cautioning to avoid using real life names 'cause you’ll never know who you’ll upset.

And that naming yourself with controversial figures IS for ALL realms to NOT do like naming yourself “Trump”. ALL realms probably can’t name themself “Trump”.

1 Like

I’m not sure what is the minimum number of reports to force someone to change their name on blizzard’s automated system, but if I got that number of people to report your name wouldn’t you disagree with the notion that “the player base decided” that “Apathy” is offensive? Wouldn’t you rather agree that it was abuse of the report function and evidence that the system is broken?

You forgot this part:

Suppose I am subjectively offended by the name Estalayia. Boom: your name violates TOS, right?

Obviously that’s wrong, you can see why, right?