How much are the Kaldorei and Horde in the same boat?

From what I saw, most people who pointed that out were doing it in response to Alliance players complaining about the Nightborne joining the Horde.

I mean, it wouldn’t have been impossible for Blizzard to write her that way–they swept the whole Pandaren-vs-Zandalari thing under the rug, after all. But I personally never thought it was likely.

So wait, you’re saying the High Elves were useless, then? Because during the time Liadrin’s talking about, that’s who “her people” would have been.

That’s … not what I usually hear from Alliance posters. :smiley:

So much this. :heavy sigh: :unamused:

Faction wars have lots of problems, but the fact that half the playerbase can’t be forced to quit isn’t one of them, IMO.

7 Likes

Lol, what?

I mean, the differences between High Elves and Blood Elves is merely political. So.

What are you laughing at? You act like one of the gatekeepers on Night Elf lore, I assume you’ve read the War of the Ancients trilogy. I also assume that you are aware of the mutual disdain held between the Highborne caste and those of lower birth, which has also been referred to in in-game lore, hence their use of the epithet “lowborn”?

The only thing that held ancient Night Elf society together is that all of the castes held their Queen Azshara in deific awe… even over that of Elune herself.

6 Likes

Yeah, I just don’t understand how this relates…

You don’t understand how one group of former Highborne can relate to another group of former Highborne better than to the lowborn they both used to/still despise?

6 Likes

I don’t understand how that can be your big take-away form me saying the Nightborne are physically and culturally Kaldorei….

Because despite physical similarities (they aren’t quite the same any more after millennia of divergence)… THEY DON’T SHARE THE SAME CULTURE. Culture in the ancient Kal’dorei empire was highly stratified… they didn’t even speak the same languages. There were at least three different languages spoken… Darnassian, t he language of the low born, Thalassian, the language of the lesser Highborne and whatever it is the Nightborne speak.

The Kal’dorei are the frozen form of the ancient Night Elves since for them most are in the same generation they were during the Sundering. IF the Night Elves had been mortal, they might have changed as much as the Sin’dorei have.

8 Likes

Yeah they did, Thalassian and Shalassian are both derived from Darnassian. They all spoke Darnassian in the Empire.

What? No… That is what the Nightborne are, the Kaldorei (No apostrophe) changed their culture to deviate away from the Arcane, and live a more pious life in the Light of Elune… Something that was important in the Empire, but falling out of style among highborne. However, we have reason to believe faith in Elune is still fairly popular in Nightborne culture, just not as ingrained into the culture as it is with Kaldorei.

1 Like

What reason? Having played through the Suramar arc I found not a single shred of evidence that Elune devotion survived under that dome. Not one mention, not one single Temple. (presumably the original temple was in the destroyed ruined part of Suramar)

Apprantly all further worship was diverted to Azshara, then later, Elisande. It seems that as the worship of Azshara rose, the devotion of Elune became more and more relegated to the country bumpkins of the Empire… the Kaldorei.

8 Likes

She in fact never said it herself.

I quoted the entire section you are referencing.

And my point this entire time has been that Thalyssra ineptly bought those lies without verifying anything for herself.

We do know that. Chronicle covered how Suramar expected the Legion to win and burn down the world and yet thought their shield would keep them safe and leave everyone else for dead.

Sounds like headcanon.

On this point I am not. I am arguing against a tangent premise you brought up:

3 Likes

It started that way until the Blood Elves put themselves on a Fel Crack diet.

We find small idols to Elune and moon necklaces around the city. They are junk items.

She did, she said she thought the Kaldorei would make for allies, which implies she perused that first.

Then why are you arguing with me? lol

That doesn’t mean they didn’t care about those outside…

It’s inductive reasoning, but you wouldn’t know anything about that.

And you are wrong, we can move on.

Still is that way.

2 Likes

If I remember correctly the Exile of the Quel’dorei took place before any of the major battles fought in Kalimdor such as the Satyr War and the War of the Sands. With Kalimdor enclosed by Pandaren style Mists, the Exiles would not have any knowledge of the events between the Exile and Reign of Chaos.

2 Likes

So more headcanon.

They left them for dead, and had no interest in joining the Night Elf Resistance. Inductive reasoning that they didn’t care, right?

Because you are wrong to think the Nightborne ever had any real interest in joining the Night Elves.

We can move on indeed, though.

5 Likes

More inductive reasoning. Not surprised you don’t get it.

Or, you know, it was that or be Demon food.

I don’t think I am.

1 Like

I’m not surprised you’re still pretending that I can’t use inductive reasoning even when I just used it to state that Suramar didn’t care about anyone outside their bubble.

I do think you are.

2 Likes

The funny thing is you didn’t… You merely assumed emotional motive to a matter of survival. How the Nightborne felt regarding those trapped beyond the shield is irrelevant to the decision they ultimately made. So all you have done is prove to me that you can’t use inductive reasoning lol.

But I’m not, so…

1 Like

But you are so.

Because Chronicle also said Suramar had no interest in joining the Night Elf Resistance, and Suramar initially sided with Azshara’s plan to summon the Legion to commit genocide against the non-Highborne Night Elves and otherwise. We can put two and two together from there.

5 Likes

That does not mean there was a lack of empathy LOL

A lot of elves did, no one really understood what was about to happen, or what the Legion actually was.

1 Like

Screaming “Lowborn scum!” does.

They well did. They desired ethnic cleansing. The Legion delivered on that.

4 Likes