How much are the Kaldorei and Horde in the same boat?

Yeah… Suramar. And that is guessing, she might have lived in the Nighthold for all we know.

My point is that Nightborne share a closer ancestry with Night Elves than they do with Sin’dorei, some of them born into the same generation and same community, some of them maybe even being related.

My point is ancestry doesn’t really matter because the Highborne were classist. There are even ghosts in Stonetalon reenacting this:

Allendril Fallcreek says: Oh, Illyanna, I love you!
    Illyanna Stonewood says: Away from me, lowborn scum! Perhaps you did not notice my boot in your face the first time!

4 Likes

Do we know that she has a high class heritage? Or are we just assuming that because she lived in Suramar? It’s been a long time since I read the WOTA books.

The Nightborne are Highborne who were cut off from the rest of their kind and then rejoin them once they re-enter the world. The Nightborne rejoining the other remaining Highborne civilization on Azeroth isn’t any more shocking than the Lightforged rejoining the rest of the Draenei who they were once cut off from.

4 Likes

There were oddly some Horde posters upset about this because they had just helped the Lightforged Draenei.

Though there were plenty of Blood Elf fans were were also sure Alleria was going to be a Horde hero on the same logic of her rejoining Quel’Thalas as well.

1 Like

She apparantly doesn’t realise that just encourages some males.

1 Like

I did admittedly omit a line that was not necessary to my point:

Allendril Fallcreek says: Oh, Illyanna, I love you!
    Illyanna Stonewood says: Away from me, lowborn scum! Perhaps you did not notice my boot in your face the first time!
    Allendril Fallcreek says: That was the greatest moment of my life…
1 Like

Which was Tyrande’s point… She wasn’t going to grovel for the Nightborne like the Sin’dorei would. The Highborne has a history that can never be forgotten or forgiven. If Thalyssra wanted to reclaim her place among her people (And idc what anyone says, Nightborne and Kaldorei are the same people), she would need to follow in the footsteps of the Shen’dralar. I feel Thalyssra would have been someone to understand that, and not someone who so easily to burn a bridge with Tyrande. Which makes me feel like what we saw in-game was a rush and over implied version of the truth.

It would make more sense if there were several meetings between leaders, and the Sin’dorei used falsehoods and propaganda to ruin the Alliance reputation and bring the Nightborne fully to their side.

5 Likes

Can’t have the Night Elves being genuine ar$ehole in that specific situation. No.

7 Likes

:thinking:

If you are going to draw the line and exclude the Kaldorei from the Highborne’s history then you can’t act like they should automatically team up because they’re “the same” people. They are 2 separate people with completely different cultures that have been largely incompatible for most of their history.

9 Likes

The Kaldorei are those that learned and attoned for the mistakes of their past.

5 Likes

You mean their place above their backwater cousins who live in woods? The Nightborne made about as much efforts to reconnect with the Night Elves as they made efforts to understand the Alliance or Horde before deciding to join one without having any actual insight on either.

2 Likes

I mean, The Kaldorei were Thalyssra’s first choice, so…

The Night Elves didn’t do beans for them… only the Champion did… the world quests within Suramar City for the most part are not directed by Tyrande. The World Quests directed by Tyrande for the most part take place outside the city proper. The only Night Elf NPC who directly aids the Nightbourne is a Cenarian Druid who doesn’t operate under Tyrande’s authority.

The quests that Tyrande does have you do is stated quite implicitly that she is doing them only to reduce Kal’dorei casualties in the fight to liberate Suramar. She makes it quite clear that she doesn’t give beans about the Nightborne and when Tyrande feels scorn for you… she wears it quite plainly when she deals with you directly.

2 Likes

A choice she was just taking for granted, not one she put any more effort into than Tyrande did.

Which is precisely why I think what we saw in game was an expediated, lazy portrayal of what should have been a more complicated situation. Like, was I not clear the first time I said this? Am I just going to have to repeat everything I said in my first post in small, segmented responses?

4 Likes

The laziness is within you. You seem to be of the opinion that you were “cheated” out of what should have been another Alliance race. You’ve repeatedly ignored or outright dismissed as inconsequential the differences in attitude shown to the Nightborne by the two front persons for each faction, Lady Liadrin and Tyrande. Not just during the race recruitment scenario but during the entire Suramar liberation arc.

The question is shown to have been given considerable depth considering that the medium is a video game.

For the nightborne, the Priestess and the Blood Knight were the two main faces of their respective factions. It was their conduct and their conduct alone that the Nightborne could judge by given that the Champion is a composite of both factions and as such does not factor in.

And if you can’t understand the importance that one of them treated the nightborne with compassion and empathy, and the other like contemptible, expendable, cannon fodder, then the only conclusion that any objective observer can make is that you’re deliberately cherry-picking your premises to come up with the answer you want.

P.S. and if you seem to think that Tyrande was mischaracterised in this scenario, I can only say that you haven’t taken a look at her character during the history of the entire franchise. As kind and compassionate Tyrande may be… there’s also the Big Shrew inside of her that comes out when she’s either upset, frustrated, or simply holds who she’s dealing with in contempt.

6 Likes

Actually, I think it better the Nightborne be neutral, but sure, pretend like you have insights you don’t.

I mean, no I havn’t. My entire premise is that such things were not explored in the detail they deserved, leaving Thalyssra viewed as petty or flippant. This becomes more apparent when she continues to align herself with the Horde after the burning of Teldrassil.

The potential of depth that is only explored at the surface level.

I think this would have merit if, and only if, Thalryssa didn’t have the Alliance be her first choice at the end of it all. And if Tyrande was shown treating in such a way at all. That is just not the case. The Nightborne share a number of qualities with the Azsharian Highborne, Tyrande’s weariness and warnings of that path makes sense.

I think if anyone, Thalyssra is the one mischaracterized.

4 Likes

You don’t have to, because I don’t really agree with your first post’s premise. Ancestry or even having potential familial ties don’t actually matter to the Nightborne. They joined the Horde out of political ineptitude in assuming the Blood Elves actually represented the Horde at the time at all. But the Nightborne never cared about the other Night Elves. They left them for dead back ten-thousand years ago, and the Nightborne were a bunch of stuck up jerks that can barely handle their fashion being insulted, let alone not be pandered to by their country cousins.

1 Like

Clearly they did to Thalyssra, as she went to speak with Tyrande first.

I feel like heavy use of propaganda is more likely.

I don’t believe this at all. Again, Tyrande is from Suramar… The Kaldorei helped them tend to the Archendor. Helped liberate their city. I don’t think an in-game /silly is really hard evidence for how the Nightborne view them… And still could be merely a product of Sin’dorei propaganda.

2 Likes