How many of you will actually stop playing retail WoW?

I unsubbed at the end of MoP. I played a free trial week of (I think) WoD. Obviously, it wasn’t that memorable.

Every so often, I really miss the game so I log on to play the free lowbies. I do some PvP until I get fed up, and then I go back to waiting for Classic to come out.

All that to say, I’ll be playing Classic.

I suppose the only relevance is that there are quite a few folks who seem to believe that the majority of people here and the ones that are “no changer” are non subscribers and come from private servers

I will, I quit BFA shortly after the holidays and have 10 days time left but im currently playing on a pserver, just waiting till classic comes out.

They would have to really change the next wow xpac, but It will be just another legion reskin and I don’t want that, I don’t enjoy the current games progression model over the old games.

1 Like

Classic has it’s low points. There’s a lot of janky mechanics for sure. But that being said, i honestly feel like it’ll be better than retail. And you know why? Community. Retail lost that feeling after the implementation of CRZ.

My experience in retail, from Legion to today, nobody hardly talks unless it’s trolling or being toxic. People hardly want to do anything together or strike up a conversation.

There’s also the fact that the game no longer feels like an mmorpg So much has been lost in the way of convenience that i can’t even recognize the game anymore.

I will admit i didn’t start back during Classic, i started at the very end of Wrath, but even through Cata, classes still felt like they had real identity to them. Heck, even MoP had some of that feeling.

But yeah… Retail just doesn’t give me the same satisfaction that it used to. Perhaps if by some chance, the playercount nosedives when Classic is released, we’ll see some backtracking on their design concepts.

5 Likes

You act as if a lot of us haven’t played the content recently and understand exactly what we’re in for. And still want it.

2 Likes

The better question is who is actually still playing retail wow? Its terrible…

10 Likes

Classic all day!!!

I have no idea what I’ll be doing. I already unsubbed and just waiting for the last month or so left of time till I un-install the game. I just don’t see how they will recapture the game of old, the community is already gone. Besides, after 13 years of WoW, time to move on. I have so many games on Steam to play, maybe it’s time to get my money’s worth out of them.

Here’s the thing you’re overlooking. It’s the same community. It was all the same people. Don’t get your hopes up on that magically changing.

At first, yeah, people will be social. But once classic matures, it’s going to go back to the common conversations being limited to guild chat. What was going on in classic, TBC, and wrath was that as endgame became more and more accessible, people needed to make friends, they needed to network out and find new groups of people. From cataclysm on, they pretty much had that group and that’s what led to people getting quieter and quieter.

At this point BFA likely has less then 2 million subs world wide, based on what we can tell and infer by active characters numbers. I think that makes the possibility of significant changes more likely because if Blizzard has more then 2 million that are willing buy the current WoW expansion if they make changes that the current players dont like, it will still make Blizzard more money. And I also think that if people still playing BFA at this point they are clearly willing to put up with alot of kodo dung and likely wont ever unsub no matter what Blizzard does to the game.

I certainly dont expect to see the massive changes I want to take effect by next expansion. While I think its a bit unlikely I think its possible that the expansion after next could be something I would consider to be playable. I think its possible that Blizzard could see the statistics that they need to change the direction of the current game after a year of Classic being out but it might take longer for them to realize.

The expansion after BFA I think we will get some good changes to how the gearing system works but I dont expect that the changes will be where I would like them to be, and I expect that we will see a change in the talent system. People that played Classic demo really seemed to love that talent system and where raving about it.

I am…I like hanging out with my friends and running stuff with them.

Already have.

Played on and off the last decade, enjoyed it all up to Legion, but refuse to play BfA out of principle. Sick of gaming companies and their ‘lets put as little effort as possible into our products while still charging full-price because these idiots will still pay for it’ business models.

5 Likes

Nerds love classic, real players love BFA Azerite grinding! All hail Diablo Immortal!!

You guys don’t have phones?!

3 Likes

Wasn’t there a post that is literally the exact same as this one just a week ago?

I probably will… I just can’t feel excited for WoW anymore, the RPG and MMO aspects are gone, it’s just a braindead game of go there do this or go there do this with more people and more mechanics. I miss the feeling of exploration, being just a normal adventurer in a much larger world.

1 Like

Classic/BC was my longest conncurrent sub about 3-4 years with trying about a week every of every xpac afterwards until Legion where I enjoyed the last 2 months a rogue and mage to 110 pre-ordered BFA unsubbed at 113*.

1 Like

I want to check out classic but with most my time devoted to getting mounts on retail I don’t want to leave them.

1 Like

I don’t play retail atm. I did try legion but quit around the end of Nighthold. Haven’t tried BFA.

I want to play classic =)

Okay, how you spend your time is your business. However, since you did bring it up, let me ask this delicately.

Are you having fun playing on retail, or is this a display of the sunk cost fallacy in action?

Retail is made by 22 year old interns in a sweatshop. Gotta pump out those expansions as fast as possible!

Vanilla was made by real artists without greed.

6 Likes