How long before we write the Community Council as a PR stunt?

It did because it’s been done before in secret and resulted in the best class design we’ve ever had.

And here’s why you’re an unreliable defender of this situation. You are saying the perspective is “unfair” despite everything Blizzard has done to avoid communicating over the past decade.

The amount of times we’ve been told “don’t you have phones?” “You think you do, but you don’t” and “Actions speak louder than words, so here’s a bunch of words saying we’ll do one thing while we do the other” makes the viewpoint not only a fair one, but the realistic take, not the pessimistic one.

So yes, at best your defense is optimistic. At best.

10 Likes

The only influence this group could have had would have to happen in future planning years down the line.

I’m not sure what previous council you are referring to. Blizzard has tried this sort of format several times previously without success. Their private groups broke down because of failure to communicate and the appearance that Blizzard was just looking for someone to validate their decisions.

Some people on this forum are so freaking pessimistic about everything. For once can we just not hate something because it doesn’t fix the world the second it shows up?

Yes, it is unfair. For some reason, a subsection of the community habors resentment against Blizzard for past game design/communication management/whatever it is, and now view every present and future action that Blizzard through the lens of that harbored resentment.

Things that would otherwise be viewed very positively, like the community council, are now viewed with cynicism and pessimism not due to the merit of the thing itself, but due to harbored resentments.

It absolutely is unfair to Blizzard in every regard.

1 Like

:eyes: My eyes! Don’t do that again. :rage:

1 Like

I’m honestly not entirely sure what you expect, this isn’t an upstart new game dev from an indie company for a free game. This is a 17 year old game, with the backing of a multi-billion dollar company that we pay a subscription fee too which just shipped its second poorly received expansion in a row and in the process cutting one of the patches we get this time therefore removing value of the original purchase for the expansion… all the while ignoring feedback from Alpha/Beta/PTR and saying that they think they know better than us.

Then they get caught in a whirlwind of poor PR and news reports about allegations of their work culture and then THEY announce via a youtube video of the Community Council and how it’s going to change everything only for the threads for classic discussion to get replies and thats it.

Like if they wanted to avoid this they could have easily just … not made the CC???

16 Likes

Sorry but you are coming off as suspiciously disingenuous and I have no interest in continuing conversation with you further by explaining my position. So… you know, have a nice day, I guess.

So we still going on strike next week or what?

1 Like

did you really say “for some reason” with a straight face after we literally had to kick and scream about covenant restrictions for a year of live not including alpha/beta testing for them to actually listen to the playerbase. LMAO.

for some reason come on dude.

8 Likes

You’d have a point if it wasn’t repeated behavior. But again, this is behavior which has been repeated on Blizzard’s part for a decade now, if not more. Seriously, the amount of times J. Allen Brack has said “action speaks louder than words” while apologizing for not communicating with the community, only to keep doing it…makes it absolutely fair. You only need to google his name to see years of this behavior being endemic.

6 Likes

wait when did a strike become a thing?

1 Like

:pinching_hand: :point_left:

God i actually had to go back and read your post because it’s the most insane thing i’ve read in months here.

The CC forums are being viewed with cynicism (if you read the reasons from people in here) because they announced it then subsequently stopped replying to anyone. The only threads getting any replies are the classic ones which nobody cares about except classic players (not these forums)

9 Likes

I actually don’t think it has much to do with anything game design related.

I think more so its due to how MMORPGs function. This could be a different thread itself so I’ll only brief it.

The MMORPG gaming communities are some of the most passionate fans out there and develop emotional attachments for the game, largely in part due to the role playing aspects of it.

Once an emotional attachment develops, other emotional reactions, as in this case, like habored resentment, is not far down the line.

1 Like

Ye ima agree with ya 100% here. I like this game alot but i still have my gripes. The way most people in threads like these act is like wow is their actual spouse that cheated on them and spend every waking moment trying to make them redeem themselves or something.

Its been more then a second.

Fairly garbage posters, selected to make garbage posts. Blizzard will then say that due to to the length and richness of those posts, it is extremely hard to address them all.

Lets be real here:

Blizzard KNOWS what the formula is. This game has been good before. A community council isn’t needed, all they need to do is ingest wow-related discussion. Which they do.

They are riding this gravy train out until it dies, and they know well that all their sins are largely wiped away with the launch of a new expansion. Everyone comes back to “feel it out”.

2 Likes

Guys a known troll and liar. He goes to each sub forum and does what he is doing here. He also apparently has multiple rank one characters but won’t link them or post on them for some reason. Seems like a legit achievement to show off and not hide.

2 Likes

It’s a double-edged sword. It allows for game developers to really create a fulfilling game for their audience, but at the same time, such an attachment to a video game can’t be healthy.

I think you have me confused for someone else but you’ve provided a prime example of why the community council is so successful:

it filters out ad hominin derailments in otherwise very productive and engaging threads.

2 Likes