How do you defeat depression

Contentment exists. You do need to find it, though.

Keeping your self busy all the time and not living in the past. Talking to ppl helps lot as well.

Distractions. Things you enjoy. I came to grips with things that would never change or the past

By not involving anyone directly connected with you.

Seek outside help because most of you symptoms are created by those around you. Be it family, work, or even online personalities.

Seek assistance from an isolated source and begin to track the problems from today to you past.

It kept me from trying to suck start my shotgun 14+ years ago. Do it!

2 Likes

Yes and no. I have realized that Wow, or gaming for that matter, has really never brought me true happiness. It was always about the sense of accomplishment. You can get this from non-materialistic things just the same. Depression is a trap that keeps you dwelling on things you don’t have control over or seeing nothing but gray, but by taking the helm of the things we can control like trying to stay healthy and preoccupying our minds with things we know are good for us and things that intrigue our minds (ie. podcasts or learning new things), we can break through the stagnation of depression and realize we really aren’t a victim of depression, so much as boredom or inactivity. I encourage you to just do something different, move forward, stay active, pursue things that you can feel proud of without becoming prideful and depression won’t have room in your life.

Happiness is really just temporary, but contentment and satisfaction with what we have while working on things we can improve just completely eradicates the sense of worthlessness or that feeling that things will never change. You can’t compare yourself to others or get upset when things don’t happen the way you think they should, you just ride the wave and laugh at the situation, and move away from it the best you can.

You talk to a professional and stop acting like it doesn’t exist when talking with friends.

By going somewhere other than GD? :wink:

For starters, the new National Suicide Hotline in the US is 988. Dial that if you need immediate help.

Seriously, talk to your doctor. A lot of depression happens because you’ve got an underlying health problem. If that doesn’t pan out go to a mental health professional.

1 Like

Not sure of the exact correlation but being richer leads to more depression. Maybe we’re too caught keeping up with the Joneses, FOMO, careers and less with enjoying life in the moment rather than a perceived moment in time that is ideal for enjoying.

Endless responsibilities, endless attachments to performance, image, legacy, and forsaking the simple and the mundane as acceptable.

Appreciate what you have. Call or hug your family.

I often give thought to past successes and write down 5 positive things on a piece of paper.
:dragon: :ocean: :dragon: :ocean: :dragon: :ocean: :dragon: :ocean:

1 Like

Yes. All it takes is money. Thats how society is set up. They want you to suffer the less money you have, the more you suffer. Thank your government.

1 Like

Defeat? Tall order.
I have been battling on the frontiers for decades with that fiend; occasionally paying them off with new shoes, model kits and spa days.
Depression and anxiety are old friends now. However, and very thankfully so are my actual friends and my care providers.
I do prefer a good natter to dropping tablets of whatever flavour of happy pill is currently in vogue.

tl;dr A war we’ll never really win, but a stalemate we might be able to tolerate.

2 Likes

Step one should always be improve your diet and exercise. People don’t say this enough. It might be a bit difficult in the beginning, but it does wonders for your mental and physical health.

Don’t try and do too much at the beginning. Start with a walk or a salad for a meal.

Best of luck!

2 Likes

Just accept it or you can pretend everything is fine like most people do

This is worth repeating.

Find a constructive outlet. It can be hard to pry yourself off of the floor some days, but I can assure you that once you find your outlet, it will be easier.
I recently got back into going fishing and riding motorcycles. Getting out of the bustle of everyday life can help a lot.
The hardest and worst part is realizing that you’re having a problem. You’ve got that, now you can move on to healing it.
If an outlet can’t be found, then therapy and possibly medication can help.
The BIGGEST thing is to not be ashamed of of getting help. And no matter what, know you’re worth it! :yellow_heart:

Idk why you would tell someone to grow up over that comment but okay. I believe it’s true.

Op, therapy and medication.

Also, exercise! Start out slow if it’s been a minute. I feel so much better after moving and sweating.

Talking to a good friend can help too. Doesn’t fix it though.

And I know many use WoW as “medicine” to escape their troubles but honestly getting off the computer can be beneficial. WoW will never fix your problems. You have to do the harder thing and get help.

Also, social media. Most ppl just highlight the good times not their struggles. It’s mostly fake. I love not being on social media … unless you consider discord/forums social media.

And remember, no one is coming to save you. You have to save yourself.

Self love and forgiveness is so important. We all have made mistakes, said and done things we regret. You have to forgive yourself and move on.

I wish you good health and brighter days.

3 Likes

You need to ask yourself first why are you depressed and then start by fixing those.

Even if you’re depressed at the state of the world, there’s always a cause and effect. Remove the cause and have a different effect on your mood.

That mere six words define; social life.

Where you must compare and compete with others , or not survive !

The rest of your post was text book … Thanks.

I find thc to be the most help with depression. That word anyway is a label to speak to others about anything. All my friends that I could not save are gone. It started in High school and at a age. I said no more friends. That lasted ? Until my wife said. It’s not my fault they are gone.
Since then a massive amount of things happens; a book full.
Chapter 1
I changed the oil in my X3…driver side strut goes. I buy new struts and put them on. Hit my head with a prybar. No it did not bleed, had my wife check.
Made appointment to Allince front end was a error … Not able to work on BMW . I remember wow they have a directory named that ! WTF.

I break

In sitting on a rear van seat out of a Town and Country ; leather.
On my back porch ; way to big for just one person. With one foot on my grand kids table. Looking up at my wife on the deck above. Looking down at our 60 feet of Grape vine line the 40 ft long carport … I have a 200 ft x 250 ft of grass touching to do. I have 6 differnt types of birds , tons of insect life. I so don’t deserve all I have.
My wife asked about the … Car

Not everyone could have that network of support, also OP reach out to things like reddit communities r/depression and don’t stop trying people care about you :slight_smile:

Horrible idea. A lot of those people worship depression and treat it as a personality type.

Do you like learning? I still get a buzz from learning things thankfully. Learning also feels good in a way, not exactly like exercising the body, but exercising the brain! We could probably live 10 lifetimes and not take in the amount of information to learn out there! Anyway, it’s quite a pickle to be in if it’s MS, my ex wife’s mother had that, and she struggled a lot.