How do you defeat depression

You do what you can. There is no one size fits all solution.

1 Like

For real I got depressed reading further down this thread.

1 Like

It’s sad seeing how many people struggle in life. If anything, I hope things get better for these people. Pain in life sucks, nobody deserves it. One day, I hope these people find reason in their lives and joy, and most importantly a healthy way to cope.

1 Like

But take a look at what we see here. People recommending “natural” treatment. People recommending specific medication. That isn’t our place to decide. And if those “options” are more easily handled than the regimen offered by a professional, that advice turns self-sabotaging and destructive.

This is not the place for legitimate treatment.

2 Likes

Yeah, you’re right. I didn’t exactly read all of them, only skimmed through them. But still either way, I’m sure you and I can both agree that talking to a medical professional is the right direction to go in.

Yep. That’s my whole point. If people take issue with how bluntly I delivered it, I don’t care at all. You need to be direct. You can’t give people wiggle room for debate.

1 Like

i thought the name fit void elves quite well ngl.

I’m not trolling but that’s exactly what a troll would say. So believe what you will. :person_shrugging: It’s not really a meritable post. I don’t expect anyone to come in with the cure. But I am actually depressed.

I canceled WoW and bought American Truck Simulator. It’s hard to be depressed when you’re making $300,000 a day in passive income from all your drivers rocking Kenworth W900s across the Western United States while you pleasure cruise across Montana in a Mack Anthem.

I strongly recommend that you explore your options for therapy. You mentioned that yours wasn’t effective. It is incredibly rare that the first one ever is a match for you. It’s tough, but you need to shop around. There are also legitimate online therapy options these days, too, but make sure to get a recommendation from a health care professional. Avoid those for-profit online sites.

Talk, get help, you’re not alone.

I’ve been getting Spravato treatments.

I took no issue with the delivery :woman_shrugging:t2:

Not really sure why others did, but you can’t please everyone I guess.

Find what relaxes me, unfortunately it involves imbibing tobacco and distilled spirits. Other times trying out fit bit mindfulness helps where I can’t light up or it’s too early for booze

I’m not going to speculate about the professional experience of anyone here. But what I can say is that I have served in multiple positions where I would refer people to mental health services (among other things). When I first started, I would try to be overly gentle. What I was really doing empowering the mental illness. I was giving it space to worm out of being dealt with. The only way to avoid that is by being honest, direct, and short.

People with mental illnesses aren’t wounded animals that need to be treated with caution and soft gloves. They’re people. They can handle the truth. And giving the mental illness no alternative to treatment to squirm into is helping the person to find something that actually helps them.

More to the point, if you treat an adult like a helpless, vulnerable child, you’re giving them permission to act like a helpless, vulnerable child.

1 Like

And that’s really what it is, I completely agree.

As far as the OP and how do you defeat depression, I have no idea. I’ve spent over 20 years with Major Depressive Disorder. Nothing has worked for me in all that time that is still FDA approved and legal at the federal level. All I can tell you is, if you’re here and you’re talking, you’re winning.

2 Likes

i hav depression 13years ago(heavy school trauma) and my only light in the dark tunnel is WoW and love playing my druid feral :3

1 Like

I miss when wow was a light now it just feels empty.

You’ve recognized that it was a coping mechanism. Not a solution. This is a good thing.

For me, I find peace in studying the Bible. Afraid many other things are just temporary in relief.

Is all of life not just a coping mechanism? feels like it.