How Did 8.3.7 Manage to Break Everything?

8.3.7 has only been out for a few days, and was supposed to be nothing more than an under-the-hood adjustment to prepare for Shadowlands, something that players should not have been affected by. Not only that, but it had been on the PTR for the past month for players to test.

Somehow, despite this, the patch managed to launch with bugs on N’zoth’s fight, a 40% increase to Skitra’s health, camera errors for people with raw mouse input enabled, and cursor freezing for those with it disabled.

How on earth did this occur? How is it possible to accidentally increase a boss’ health by 40%? Did no one on the PTR notice the mouse breaking? Are we really supposed to trust Blizzard’s judgement with such technical ineptitude on full display?

9 Likes

Chill out. Go take a dip in a cold pool. It’s not the end of the world of Warcraft.

4 Likes

Bugs happen, and I hear that it’s the end of the world every time they do.

3 Likes

It happened because Blizz has become complacent. :thinking:

4 Likes

Could be worse. Remember that time in Legion when someone tried to be clever and compress the game directory, and ended up turning half the models in the game into checker blocks?

9 Likes

Of course they do, fixing them happens too. I would have expected it to occur during the month of testing.

2 Likes

Basically, all the actual testers are testing shadowlands, all the usual ptr raiders are testing shadowlands, and all the rest of those that play the ptr usually only play the ptr to get a sneak peak at the next raid or major patch.

You could avoid issues such at these in the future by testing everything on the ptr yourself and creating the many bug reports and feedback options that are needed - or - you could wait until they go live and create another forum post in anger next patch.

Have a great day and i hope you have enjoyed the other 99.999% of the unbroken game also included into your description of ‘everything’.

2 Likes

Blizz said there was nothing to test as it was something they were working on the backend with, so I wouldn’t blame people for not going on PTR to “test”. :thinking:

4 Likes

Are you seriously implying mouse lag isn’t a major issue that absolutely impacts the rest of that “99.999%” that isn’t broken?

1 Like

I havn’t seen any issues, so all i can add is that when adding something new to an environment, $#!^ happens sometimes, even if its “non-player facing”. Not sure why they just couldn’t say back end, but sure lol.

As stated, did you head on over to the ptr to test it or generate a detailed bug report when it went live?

1 Like

I thought I was going nuts. My pointer keeps getting stuck in the middle of the game/ camera zoning out and I thought it was my mouse.

2 Likes

Bug report section - helpful advice.

1 Like

That is hardly “everything”, don’t be so melodramatic.

2 Likes

Lets call up the QA testers at Blizz HQ…oh wait. :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

3 Likes

I have noticed absolutely no change in the game since the patch dropped. :man_shrugging:t6:

Ever played whack a mole? You know, the game where you use the gavel or hammer to smack a mole popping their head up out of the hole but when you knock it back down, another one pops up?

That’s coding.

2 Likes

Nothing better in the world then having to search through 60,000 lines of code to find where you missed a semi-colon ( /end sarcasm)

2 Likes

I havn’t seen any issues

Consider yourself lucky, it’s absolutely dreadful.

As stated, did you head on over to the ptr to test it or generate a detailed bug report when it went live?

Absolutely terrible take. The error wasn’t on the PTR, but it should have been if it was the same patch they were going to launch. This implies Blizzard pushed systems changes without actually testing them beforehand.

Bug report section - helpful advice.

Doesn’t work for everyone, myself included. Raw Input turned on locks my camera with my mouse, Raw Input off causes my mouse to freeze in place and rubber band for seconds at a time.

Didn’t Blizz have a huge layoff like last year or something?
QA probably went out the window with it hehe

What I’m assuming is that Blizz meant to “decrease” the bosses HP (not right now though).
Probably just implemented data, and prepare it for when we lose our corruptions. Thats my hunch.