How can we redeem/rebuild the Horde?

Different methods of communication. Different method of interacting with those that show it reverence. Different proficiencies in power and domain. A different temperament, and even perhaps children of their own that embody such a being. Hell, make the thing lively, passionate, sometimes destructively so. The Sun is life, it can also kill you. Make it a bit rough around the edges.

8 Likes

I like how Droite and I gave completely opposite responses, lol

3 Likes

That’s the point: ELune is the deity that stands not only for the moon, but for stars, for stellar objects, so also suns, presumably the power where Naaru come from.

My only problem with this is, exactly what Droite describes would be an anti-elune. It would be exactly the same as Elune, only with different names.

Why would you need other names at all, if it does exactly the same thing.

THank you, thats my entire point, we need another being, not an elune 2.0 with sun as symbol, even ELUNE granted sunpowers, and most likely created beings of lights anyway…

An’She/Belore…it must be a different kind of being, it must be different.

Well, sort of. I was more of the mind that any celestial being that gets even loosely associated with the Horde needs to share our temperament a bit. The Horde is rough, temperamental, passionate (destructively so), and despite everything … still somehow cling to life. Even those of us that are dead. So … go from there. Rather than building such a being as an opposite of Elune, just build one that has the ability to reflect those that revere it. If there is some overlap? So what?

It would also be totally worthless, because you’re pulling something out of the universe’s butt while simultaneously further implying that the tauren (and whatever sun worship the blood elves had) is a lie, diminishing their importance because Elune has her fingers in too many damn pies. At least An’she has a theoretical presence in the story. Anything you try to create would not, simply because you had to create it in the first place.

8 Likes

Well going off:

and also taking into consideration Elune in-game is a real-world derivative of New Age Goddess Worship, and borrows particularly from Lunar goddesses in European myths (different faces, related to stars, psychopomp, etc all very Hekate adjacent).

Have An’she be based on Solar Deities found in myths of African and Amerindigenous peoples, with only SLIGHT borrowing from Euro-Pagan stuff.

Make him related to Wild Gods, but only the extreme ends (e.g. Rukhmar and Anzu from Draenor) due to the Sun’s Light being everywhere but also casting Shadows all day.

Have An’she be derived from:

• Ogun and Shango, have him be a warrior deity who was the one that blessed Orcs with bloodlust in moments of need
  • Obatala, have him be a creator deity who was the one responsible for the existence of the elements themselves in reality
  • Illapa (who was syncretized in the Andes with Shango side note), have him be a deity that takes away powers should the person dishonor themselves (explaining why Paladins need faith and self-belief, why Thrall lost his shaman powers)
  • Inti, have him be a deity that blesses his people with long life and purifies corruptions (ergo why Rezan could bless Rastakhan with long life, ergo why Blood Elves have lost their fel corruption shown in their eyes)
  • etc

Naaru are powered by the sun and stars? You’re literally pulling that out your behind

Fine, propose a motif, a specific motif like “the sun” that you think would make narrative sense and serve as a parallel.

God you’re insufferable

He literally does not understand the idea of validating in-game religions of the meta-representations of Amerindigenous and African peoples lmao

3 Likes

Belore has even been known since WC3, but I think it wouldn’t go down well if once again an elven race more or less knew the “real name”, especially something that plays an absolute subordinate role.

However, I have nothing against the name, my point is, it must be something other than an Elune 2.0. Build it as a counterpoint, to Elune, would in my eyes even destroy a lot, it would also partly destroy the Elune mythos with it, for what? That the Horde may have their Celestial-Beings? it must be able to stand on its own feet and not build on Elune. otherwise it will be again only a carboncopy.

And you don’t? You constantly want some divine power fantasy of a carbon copy character and don’t really get involved in any different possiblity.

And if one argues against you, always immediately comes the racism card, especially if it could concern cultural things that have overlaps with RL.

Well, one random idea would be something like…

Currently we have Ion talking about the devs listening to the feedback. We have rather not so popular BfA with the “wait and see” approach. At the same time, we have the most popular expansion, Shadowlands, where they apparently pay more attention to the feedback. [at least initially it is said to have the highest subscription number of this decade]

Maybe, just maybe, it is possible to make an argument, that listening to the feedback leads to more community engagement, user retention. And that it could be not just about the game mechanics.

However, delivering the message is hard and IMO possible through finding some influencers who could pass the feedback / questions further.

Which raises more questions about community, forming feedback, etc.

Overall, not too likely, but not quite 0% probability. Purely because there might be a correlation of the financial results and interaction with the community.

gl hf

KEK, Blizzard actually listening to player feedback about the lore. :rofl:

Good one. :rofl:

Zair is the worst type of hypocrite, if it detracts from the NE power fantasy he’ll oppose it under the BS excuse that he’s neutral which he’s been called out on several times now.

3 Likes

No in this case An’she would be the real name.

Bruh every Lunar Diety has a Solar parallel in every single mythology in the world, you just don’t want the precious Elune to have an equal

All the WoW influencers with access to Blizzard (Nobbel, T&E, Bellular) main Alliance.

We literally don’t even have Horde-Main Lore people with access to Blizzard. In fact the only Horde-Main Lore Content Creator that I am personally aware of is Pyromancer.

Anywho my above ideas of what An’she would look like thematically in-game slaps and gives WoW a non-Euro-centric narrative angle for the Horde Supreme Deity.

2 Likes

i think so, too

Neutrality is foreign to you, I know, but neutrality is exactly what I am. I’ve also argued against NE; I always say when it gets too wild that you should stop because it doesn’t end well anyway, and I don’t want to get involved in these private little wars, that’s neutrality.

You know that Elune comes from Selune, which in turn was borrowed from Hinduism and still somewhat connected with European myths? Selune in DND is the goddess of the Darkelves and a creator deity of balance.

In Hinduism, the deity also stands for creation, balance between the heavenly bodies, but is embodied with the symbol of the moon and the stars.

Cool story bro, still a Lunar deity.

If you even try to argue Elune is not a Lunar deity, you are really showing your cards.

5 Likes

Aren’t people who accepted the undead relatives currently in Oribos? Old Emma and someone else.

I do not think Nobbel and TaliEvi were all that happy about how BfA went anyway. So, maybe that’s something. Pyro, I don’t know much about him. Acco?

Besides, a good story is a good story, so why would they oppose something like that?

Preach said he likes lore too, btw. He mains horde.

Overall - might be good to be aware of options.

gl hf

So on this note, pardon my ignorance, but I have always wondered what Blood Elf culture is meant to be based on—the most I’ve been able to find is that their architecture is (supposedly) based on French Art Nouveau.

But I recall you bringing up their hookahs and I think somewhere in the conversation “Persian” was name-dropped? Would you be able to expand on this, please?

And what I want is a story whose only reason for existence isn´t Equality, that’s not a good story. It never was, because you always felt it when that was the case.

i said: ELune is a goddess of balance, moon, stars, only symbols of her real “goal”, balance.

…you do know the Druid Balance specialization is about “balancing the power of Arcane and Nature,” right?

It’s literally in the spec description.

1 Like

yeaaaaaah, the specc of balance, but elune is the goddes of balance, on azeroth she ´s associated with the moon, but that doesn´t mean, that it is like that everywhere.

Your statement does not follow logically from your premises. Blizzard also spends considerable time on portraying raid bosses. Does that mean they aren’t portraying them as wrong and/or bad? The investment of time does not invalidate anything that most everyone has said, specifically, that in the narrative Blizzard has written, the Horde is perpetually shown as being “more wrong” than the Alliance and any actions the Alliance takes are “justified” and/or “right.”

You keep trying to draw a distinction here but you refuse to acknowledge you’re conflating in-game with out of game. A faction only behaves as they are written and portrayed.

For you to accept the Horde, you will only accept them proving they have changed. This means, you require a narrative that involves the Horde serving the needs of the Alliance. The issue is compounded by your refusal to accept any sort of blemish or tarnish on the bastion of everything “good/right/morally superior” that is the Alliance. That means whenever there is any sort of disagreement, the Horde will be “worse” and for you to accept the idea that the Horde is trying to be better, the faction has to repeat the cycle of serving the needs of the Alliance.

It’s a perpetuating cycle and quite frankly disgusting. It’s not quite as bad as internment camps, but the mindset is the same.

I have no idea what game you are playing, but the last decade of WoW lore says otherwise.

7 Likes

…kind of contradicting yourself here.

Elune is a moon goddess, first and foremost. “Moon” does not necessarily = “Balance.”

1 Like