How can people play WoW without addons?

It’s really more annoying than anything else.

buff tracking, cooldowns, and resources are all in 3 different out of the way places.

Just don’t PvE or PvP seriously and it’s pretty easy.

I mostly play without addons, i use a few but it’s mainly QOL stuff like a WQ addon that displays the available WQ in a nicer way and another one that gets rid of the talking heads that spam your screen when you fly over quests. I raid very casually so i don’t need DBM/WA etc, while i admit that it would probably make my life easier (and my performance better no doubt), i just don’t like addons screeching at me to do things, i’d rather just not stand in the bad stuff because i can see it under me lol

The base UI before the revamp was just flat out terrible, there’s no other way to say it. The amount of work add on creators put in to make so many addons that make the game better is amazing.

Even in vanilla I had replaced blizzards unit frames, cast bar, action bars, pretty much the entire UI.

1 Like

very carefully!

They just do what they like and it is what it is. I have heard that some folks find DBM or other callout addons distracting or w/e

Yeah, a lot of the default stuff can be pretty awful, but i kinda developed a bit of a hatred for addons in vanilla, we were raiding AQ i believe and there was a patch that broke a bunch of addons and they weren’t all updated yet, we had to call our raid off because so many people refused to (or couldn’t) play without their addons working properly. That was where i kinda vowed to avoid them as much as possible lol

I know it doesn’t make a whole lot of sense, but that’s just how pet hates tend to go :joy:

1 Like

Most addons I use are for RP or just simply conveniences that I don’t rely on. The only thing that really impacts my gameplay is weakauras, which I use to track cds on my tank alt, cds for interrupts in m+, and the avalanche cast in nelth’s lair since I’m very bad at dodging it without pre-emptive warning. But if I didn’t have it I would still do fine on this character. It’s my tank I would be less confident on.

Years ago I used DBM but I haven’t touched it or other all-in-one packages like that in a while. I don’t feel like I need it as almost everything is telegraphed well and the few things that aren’t I can just use weakauras for. Though I have noticed a lot of people rely on DBM or Big Wigs and don’t know what’s going on without them and that kinda boggles my mind.

Edit: Now that I think about it, while Weakauras is useful, Plater is the true MVP of addons in M+. It’s so much easier to process what’s going on in groups of enemies when you can customize nameplates and especially the way they stack so they don’t end up all flying to the top of the screen.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s the downside. Patch days I usually don’t even bother logging in for a day or two until the addons get caught up so I completely understand where you’re coming from.

I played during Vanillia, Addons were everywhere during the time. They were alot stronger and more powerful than what we have now as restrictions werent fully set up yet. Blizz didnt know how crazy the community was going to go.

Healbot-One button press full raid healing. Literally chose which spell, which rank to use to heal an injured member. Spammed all fight

Decurse- One button dispel. Auto targeted member with debuff and removed it for you. Big with mages to help out with curses.

Remember ICC? Where we could literally draw on the floor plans for everyone to see?

Vanillia was prime day for crazy addons, theyve stopped alot of what we could do.

easy. I just dont

3 Likes

Tbh, that’s not really the fault of the addons, but more or less the growth of the internet and tech.

I get by just fine without a dozen things shoved in my face, stimulating my severe reaction to information overload.

In the past, DBM was off-and-on depending on multiple factors I won’t get into here but I’ve gone back to happily ignoring add-ons again.

I got by for the overwhelming majority of my time playing this game and see no reason to bother myself.

Im the exact opposite. Im surprised by how many player need add ons to play. Healing is way more challenging without them.

5 Likes

Bad players refuse to use addons as WoW is designed around addons.

Anyone who says that they’re better for not using addons or that they aren’t needed are by far the worst players who are intentionally gimping anyone that they party with.

2 Likes

I could be missing out, but seeing people play with half their screen covered in UI is also pretty terrifying.

4 Likes

Yeah, I couldn’t imagine playing without TRP3, just imagining it is hell.

Don’t think you can… or they are in a stone age… My opinion.

very easily.

none of my addons affect my gameplay. only ones i got are ones that mark where rares are and io

1 Like

I have never used an addon. I don’t do anything challenging in game so I don’t need them. I have no issues managing my bank and I rarely use the AH and the default ui does not bother me.

2 Likes

If you have NO addons… you can’t ever yell or put down others. You don’t know what they know. Just my opinion and experience.
So here is my sober reply!.. the above was my comedy routine? What was I thinking.

Why would you NOT play with addons. did you know wow often incorporates the very popular addons to the game, because they can!
I love and depend on my addons. I would not even know how to play without them.