How a Dev Choice Alienated my Disability

Before playing WoW I suffered neck and back injuries in a workplace accident. I broke my L7. My T2 also suffered damage, the T2 injury left me with nerve damage in my left arm and hand, mostly to the pinky side. While down and out discovered WoW 12 years ago. When I was a learning new player I would rest 2 fingers on W and D keys for the WASD style of character movement. Because of my injury I learned to play never using the Shift,Alt, or Tab keys. Ive since played well over a decade using my keybind mouse wheel up as “Target Nearest Enemy” and my mouse wheel down as “Target Next Enemy”. So targeting with my mouse wheel and being a Clicker with curser over my default Blizzard actionbar. (yes, a Clicker!!! Im sorry). This worked great for the next 12 years. Ever since Tuesdays 9.0 pre-launch patch, this way of playing is no longer playable. At first I wasnt even aware that when my curser was hovering over my actionbar and spell icons that the mouse wheel keybinds weren’t working, things just felt buggy. Like other patch day issues I thought that it was probably an addon like everybody else was posting. I just did a simple Disable addons unchecking them ingame. When that didnt work I opened a ticket. Ticket response was fairly quick all things considered. The friendly response included a link to Blizzards UI reset instructions. I followed those exact instructions. Yet when I got back in the game the mouse wheel still didnt activate while over the action bar and spell icons. Because of this still happening I didnt close the ticket instead clicking “Problem not resolved”. The follow up response said something along the lines of “It could be a in game bug and you should fill out a Report ingame bug” which I did. Or that is could be an intended change, and that CS couldn’t comment on Dev decisions. Its was suggested to also post in the UI Macro Guide section of the forums , which I did. This post is in no way a complaint of how my ticket was handled by CS GMs. So now with the ingame bug reported and my post on the guide page I started my wait. Id search the forums for keywords Mouse, Mousewheel, Curser/pointer, action bar. I saw many posts with responses regarding Atlasloot as being a main culprit for a lot of people and resolved by the easier earlier mentioned link instructions. 4 post stood out to me though, they had exact same or very similar problem as mine with only the mouse wheel over the spell icon. 1 of those 4 people discovered that the addon Bartender resolved the mouse wheel over spell icons issue for them. I thought, OK, ill give that a try. After seeing i couldnt duplicate an exact default Blizzard UI and a lot of other lil quirky things that were creating more new problems due to 12 years of muscle memory, I disabled bartender and deleted it and headed back to the forums to wait again. A lot of people were discussing how some addons kind of hide in the background. So I decided Ill uninstall twitch and completely delete Cache, WTF and Interface files. The problem still remained. Due to the frustration of targeting with my curser one mob at a time and then dragging curser back down to action bar, then back up to middle of the screen to hopefully click the right mob in a moving pack of 4-5 only to hurry and get back down to that bar. It made me not want to play, so I figured Id have the extra time to completely uninstall WoW, WoW Classic and Battle.net launcher entirely off my machine. 4 hours later I had Battle.Net downloaded and a new fresh start download of Wow retail ready. I started it up and crossed my fingers. All for nothing. Mouse wheel, curse, spell icon problem remained the same. I was finally convince it wasn’t on my end for the 1st time, and figured it has to be a bug and I just need to be more patient. Now when the problem first poked up its ugly head, one of the 1st places i went to after updating drivers and scan and repair was to the patch notes. But for the 1st few days the patch notes seemed outdated still saying 8.3 in the launcher link. Then on the 4th day I went back to the patch notes and they were updated and said 9.0. That is when I discovered this in the bottom User Interface section of notes. “Hovering over the resource bar will now show the tooltip at the curser location” and “Added Keybind, Camera, Curser Control, and movement support for Gamepad controllers” Whatever these changes are I’m convinced are what are having an unintended impact on my play style. I’m not here to bash Blizzard or Devs for these changes. I’m well aware the Devs go above and beyond when it comes to “inclusion” and aren’t trying to “exclude” me or others like me. But there is no way I can continue to play in its current state. I dont want to have to buy a multi button gaming mouse. I bought 14 a model microsoft mouses/mice (idk) that i prefer. (6 in graveyard, 1 in use, 7 on deck). I prefer my current mouse. I also buy microsoft because i dont want to spend my money on sponsers of lets say “recent alleged issues”. Aside from Tomtom and a few situational addons (WBT,Tomcat), I like being bare bones. It was 7 years before I even knew curse existed never mind modern day Twitch, and also in principle alone I don’t want to be forced adapt to a 3rd party addon (bartender) when blizzard defaults worked fine for 12 years at $14.99 a month. I don’t want to leave Azeroth, I love Azeroth. This fantasy world has help me escape a lot of tough moments in real life. In some sense Azeroth is my life as well. I average 10-15 hours a day for a decade now. Remember the old load screen that said “don’t forget to spend time outside of Azeroth as well” lets just say I didn’t listen. I’m well over 1000 days /played across 13 toons that feel like part of me. Mostly just 455-470s or todays equivelant. My main alone is past 800 /played alone. I’m not boasting, I’m just hoping that alone shows the love i have of this game over the years. I choose to play mostly alone because of my choice in targeting and clicking and don’t want it to effect anybody else’s gameplay. I’ve never joined a Guild besides my own, yet never found a shortage of things to keep my Army of Alts busy, Mounts/Pets/Toys/Achvs/Profs. Not being able to target properly has left me standing around Boralus a lot more then I’m usually in town. After losing personal loved ones to Covid19, at a time when I need a Fantasy escape more then ever. Its very painful to see a community argue publicly about presidential choice conflicts or if the virus is a hoax or not. It made me really start debating with myself if my time to leave Wow is looming. Its still up in the air, i dont know what to do. Tomorrow will be my 7th day of checking/watching the forums for something, anything about whether this change is intended or not. If its a ingame unintended bug I’ll hang tight and be as patient as I can be. If these changes are staying I think that will be my final deciding factor. That brings me to what i know a lot of you may ask. YES, you CAN have my gold!!!. If your from my Original Realm QD, I will make an announcement in Tradechat. I’ll then talk to Zidormi in Darkshore and head for my beloved home of Darnasus and then head east to Shadowglen where my 1st Wow identity was born. I’ll hand out 10k to each and every non boosted QD lvl 50 and 5k to SenJin connected realm members and 3k to the more recently merged realms members and to anybody that can also open trade window that isn’t a boosted toon until my many millions are depleted. I’ll also be giving away 1 of every TCG caged pet and many high end other cageables for answering silly questions like “what the nicest thing you ever did for a low lvl stranger” or “what do you miss the most about Old Blizz”. Then ill mount up and head for the ceiling cap, have a few whispers and dismount and be off to the only true shadowlands that only I can announce its launch date. Then I’ll hop on my only Horde toon and stand next to Orgrimmar AH on SenJin and give away 500g to anybody that /spits on me until her measly 200k is gone. There is also one brighter side to my dilemma, with all this extra Wow downtime. I wrote a song to my Mom, she absolutely loved it. She made me promise that i would sing it at her funeral, which I did. Its titled “My Warcraft Gnome”. Its a song about a single mother doing her best to raise 3 bratty kids. If I end up having to leave, I just want to leave not bitter and on a good note. I don’t even want a refund on my Shadowlands Package, KEEP IT!!! Grammar police and Punctuation Swat Team, Have at it, I probably deserve it. I helped Build Universities I didn’t attend them. Thanks for reading…Ursaleena

42 Likes

I read that.

39 Likes

Holy wall of text…I did not get 3 lines in…is there a TL;DR? I sincerely wish the best for you.

25 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qQhu8lcMW4

19 Likes

She’s got a disability as a result of a work injury and has been using targeting macros tied to the mouse scroll wheel to compensate. The change/bug that came with the prepatch stops that from working, meaning she can’t play effectively.

64 Likes

Thanks Karat! How terrible, I hope she is able to find a solution that works.

11 Likes

I thought they confirmed that was a bug? Maybe I am mistaken but I am was sure I heard that.

This isn’t the first time I’ve heard of it. I can’t remember if they’ve confirmed if it’s a bug though. I don’t really see any good reason for them to intentionally do it but that doesn’t mean they didn’t.

1 Like

I love you though <3

1 Like

I, like, don’t disagree with the OP, I’m pretty sure. I only say that cause it was a little hard to read, but no fouls when you speak it from the heart.

4 Likes

Play how you need/want to play. Don’t let others bother you for it. If being a Clicker makes the game playable for you then :+1:.

Wouldn’t bother me. I’d still play with you if i played on your server.

My condolences for your loss.

That’s up to you to decide but don’t let others chase you away from a game you clearly love.

I’ll have my fingers crossed for you that it’s just a bug and it gets fixed soon.

8 Likes

1,640 words.

But I do hope you can get your problem fixed. I don’t know much about macros. I just look them up to solve whatever problem it is I have.

Best of luck!

3 Likes

From reading the post it sounds like the change repurposed that function, intending it to be a different feature.

Ah maybe, idk.

Separating paragraphs is nice

Does your thumb work?

You might be able to learn on a tartarus

That hurt my eyes to read but I got through it :slight_smile: but I seriously hope this is unintended and they do a quick fix :frowning: don’t leave us just yet!

1 Like

https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/48069539.jpg

Please… Paragraphs. They help. I promise.

I genuinely tried to read it all and help you, but I just can’t.

8 Likes

Does this turn into the fresh prince theme midway through?

6 Likes

I will say it does sound mostly like a bug and unintended when sprucing up the UI.

Hey, if you can play well in your condition, more power to ya. Honestly, WoW lets players that are very sight impaired AotC capable. And, there are many players that are happily willing to cover any shortcomings that may arise just cause you’re a fun guy to play with. Again, not saying you’re not capable.

I don’t know what any of the Microsoft nonsense means, but I will say this: the Logitech G600 saved me. I have RA and it’s made my left hand all but unusable most days. That mouse has been amazing.

Spend some time with it, get used to the side buttons and it will be awesome for you.

Also: check your keybinds if you haven’t done that yet. Make sure something isn’t overridden or missing.

6 Likes