HotS is being cancelled, will WoW be next?

Well some of the developers moved too. Plus they bluntly stated they are putting the game in long-term stability status - meaning development is not going to be the same. They basically did this with SC2 as well, and release a couple of co-op commanders per year I think. SC2 still has esports because that’s really the only attraction the game offers now apart from tourists.

What it really means is that development is going to slow down and unless they decide to revitalize the game it will not see any big changes from now until the end.

If you want to do mythic+ invitational you don’t get the option to pick which one you want to do either. And considering Im being judged for my raider io on this I feel like its relevant to bring that up. Either drop the raider io arguments or suck it up buttercup.

Not to dispute the point, but why are they getting Classic servers ready for next summer if it will lose money?

Sure but when they send a letter to their players about it, it obviously is a very impactful change for the game. Anyone who reads this as anything but “HotS isn’t making money and we are letting it die slowly” is naive.

there is enough milk from wow for about 2 “full” expansions, before “maintenance mode” where you see DLC type of content patches.

i hope so … bring me back WOTLK server and take my money for more 10 years !

Maybe the team will move to WOW and they can revitalize PVP again. God knows it needs something.

The have tried to get away from what the players want since WoD. They made a HUGE mistake and fixed it with Legion. Then they make nearly the same mistakes in BFA. Definitely an arrogance issue. Keep trying to push unpopular agendas and see if it sticks without backlash.

They want people to raid…that is all. Every xpac has seen changes to raids in order to get people to do them. Never going to happen. They have locked professions behind them, gear behind them, story behind them, dumbed them down, made them flexible, not flexible and through it all it adds up to wasted development.

Blizz needs to realize that the majority of players do not want to group up and proceed to click the same xxxx buttons over and over again in the same order for 2 years solid…I did it during wraith, played healer, DPS and healz…never again, it was entertaining once and then it proceeded to be a headache. At least with PVP things get shaken up but in raids OMG tedious. “Maybe I will stand in this corner, on this boss this time so I can stare at something different for the next 20 minutes.”…playing tank or healz was not like this but as DPS…blah.

Who knows? Maybe they figure offering it as a freebie to live WoW players will encourage them to stay subbed during the back half of BfA. Like a marketing promotion.

Or that ‘hundreds of thousands’ of people who want to play classic/vanilla will actually buy a copy of BfA and pay $15/month just to play what they were playing at no charge on Nostalrius. You know, so that the number of WoW subs increase during the back half of a xpac. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Don’t see the part in what I said that seem to be trolling?

If wow does lose China it serves them right.

Wow won’t be cancelled…yet. But the next major patch after 8.2 is going to be a phone app game instead of in game content.

WoW is one of the only IPs making money for blizzard atm and it’s losing players at an insane rate but for right now it covers the losses from all their other IPs. The Diablo 4 leaks say they are making it an MMO lite in the style of destiny 2 with major player hubs etc… so with that coming and then reassigning devs to WoW and the A dev team who made MoP and Legion rummored to be working on another lich king expac for post BfA and the framework for an entire new engine for WoW being laid out I’d say WoW is safe for a few more years.

1 Like

Hots esports wasn’t making a return on blizzards investment. They had directly invested in it, unlike dota 2 and Lol Leagues which are more third party. I agree with the outrage in the fact that it’s terrible, irresponsible, borderline malevolent on a corporate level, to string along a community like that without warning. I disagree that its a surprise at all, ever.

This was always going to be a recipe for disaster. Honestly I think blizzard should have run one more season after the announcement (it may have even saved the game as people tuned in to see the “last” esports event by HOTS)

1 Like

Here is my prediction:
1 more warcraft expansion.
We will not get starcraft 3.
Diablo 4 will be the last in the series.
Heartstone will continue as normal.
Heros will be maintenance mode forever.
Overwatch will go the way of Hots.
Warcraft go will fail after the 1st year.
Diablo immortal will fail cause phone games always do.

1 Like

Pretty much right on the predictions
I think wow has 2 more xpacs
1 old god or something xpac and then 1 sargeras or void lord xpac.

Blizzard is really bad at turning their games into entertaining esports games anyway, so with them cancelling that scene in HotS perhaps it will actually become better and more fun.

I highly doubt it. Blizzard missed the boat on the whole MOBA thing, which is ironic seeing as it got it’s start on their IP. Heroes of the Storm was too little, too late. By the time Blizzard finally decided to throw their hat in the ring for a MOBA, many other games had already established the scene and had strong followings. I’m not really into MOBAs, but I’ve tried them all. Heroes of the Storm didn’t really bring anything fresh or new onto the scene. It was literally League of Legends with Blizzard characters.

Hey, I hear that the orange crop is in trouble.

So apples must be next?