HotS is being cancelled, will WoW be next?

Blizzard over the past years have been excessively arrogant thinking they’re the best game developers ever and have been ignoring their own players who sustain them. Their pride have caused games to fall in quality and now we’re seeing the results: HotS is the first game that is being abandoned.
They thought they could compete with Dota 2 and LoL without looking at what players of these genres liked. They thought that just because they are Blizzard, they would make a game good enough to take over this sector without listening to player feedback. Turns out you can’t make games for your own pride, you have to make games for your consumers.

Will the lesson be learned, or will we see the problem continue with WoW? Very recently Blizzard has stood up against it’s own community making a terrible change to WoW M+, by making keys undeletable and not giving players a chance to reroll their keys. I worry that if they do not learn the lesson, we’ll see the same thing happen to WoW.

61 Likes

Lol its just the esports being cancelled, will still have stuff developed and released for it

45 Likes

The answer is no.

4 Likes

You seem to be the arrogant prideful one, since you’re making accusations that are based upon conjecture, and opinion. You have no way of knowing anything about reasons other than the one(s) that are stated in Blizzard’s public notification, so kindly descend from that high horse that you’re currently on.

38 Likes

Someone is upset HotS is dead.

3 Likes

How does anything happening with WoW have anything to do with Hots?

8 Likes

LOL. Yep, cancel the only game with increased revenue.

6 Likes

Except WoW will probably get some more developers.

1 Like

Lol, Heroes of the Storm is not going anywhere.

Blizzard Entertainment is just getting a repeated reminder that their E-Sports never takes off. That’s all it is.

17 Likes

Bit of a stretch just to make a point about deleting keystone’s.

6 Likes

They are moving developers to new projects, which is commonplace when they are wanting to speed up release dates and/or quality of the new stuff. God knows Blizzard needs a D4 trailer to save face right now.

I am certainly disappointed that HOTS never really took off - as I love that game and still play it casually - but it had a good showing through HGC. The investment in HOTS esports just wasn’t giving them a hard return though.

The bigger question is whether or not there is any steam to the rumors about China having a video game ban list with their new decency council. If so, WoW is on that rumored list and if they lose China then they lose a significant amount of revenue.

2 Likes

That… Would be one of the biggest astronomical gaming revenue blows in the history of gaming.

2 Likes

From what I have been seeing, Activision “culture” has taken over Blizzard. They’ve been pulling some of the same things Activision did with Destiny. Additionally with the declaration that their “best talent” is being moved to other projects (i.e. mobile). WoW’s on maintenance mode until it dies out, whether that’s tomorrow or another five years plus. The obvious development direction they’ve taken is minimal resources to keep it going until it dies a “natural” death. The entirety of BfA is recycled and watered down legion content, with some new skins on it. Don’t get me wrong, if something works and is good, there’s no need to change it.

I like wow. I like the basics in BfA. The world visiuals, the leveling quests/story. But it lacks the polish and innovation of Lich King and Cataclysm. Lich King introduced mounted combat, seige engine “vehicles” and destructible environments. And haven’t bothered using that tech since in any meaningful way. Cataclysm has some of the best open world design both visually and with map layouts. From Vashjir and using your water mounts, to deepholm and needing your flying mounts to get around, it showed how great an open world can be. What we are left with is cut past iterations until people drift away and they can pull the plug.

19 Likes

You’re not playing the Chicken Little game correctly. You’re supposed to run around yelling “DOOM!” and agree with the OP.

17 Likes

OP, please go troll somewhere else or learn to read and absorb information.

HotS was NOT cancelled, by any means.

This is what the blue post actually says:

Link: news. blizzard. com/en-us/blizzard/22833558/heroes-of-the-storm-news

"We’re constantly changing and evolving not only our games, but how we support and grow them. This evolution is vital to our ability to continue doing what we love to do—making great games—and it’s what makes Blizzard, Blizzard.

Over the past several years, the work of evaluating our development processes and making hard decisions has led to new games and other products that we’re proud of. We now have more live games and unannounced projects than at any point in the company’s history. We’re also at a point where we need to take some of our talented developers and bring their skills to other projects. As a result, we’ve made the difficult decision to shift some developers from Heroes of the Storm to other teams, and we’re excited to see the passion, knowledge, and experience that they’ll bring to those projects. This isn’t the first time we’ve had to make tough choices like this. Games like Diablo II, World of Warcraft, StarCraft II, Overwatch, and more would not exist had we not made similar decisions in the past.

Despite the change, Heroes of the Storm remains our love letter to Blizzard’s worlds and characters. We’ll continue actively supporting the game with new heroes, themed events, and other content that our community loves, though the cadence will change. Ultimately, we’re setting up the game for long-term sustainability. We’re so grateful for the support the community has shown from the beginning, and the development team will continue to support Heroes with the same passion, dedication, and creativity that has made the game such a unique experience.

We’ve also evaluated our plans around Heroes esports—after looking at all of our priorities and options in light of the change with the game, the Heroes Global Championship and Heroes of the Dorm will not return in 2019. This was another very difficult decision for us to make. The love that the community has for these programs is deeply felt by everyone who works on them, but we ultimately feel this is the right decision versus moving forward in a way that would not meet the standards that players and fans have come to expect.

While we don’t make these decisions lightly, we do look to the future excited about what the decisions will mean for our other live games and all the projects we have in the works. We appreciate all of our hard-working developers and everyone in the Blizzard community, and look forward to sharing many more epic gaming experiences with you in the future.

J. Allen Brack and Ray Gresko"

15 Likes

It doesn’t fit into his doom theory though

4 Likes

Clever use of the wow is dying meme, OP.

2 Likes

You shouldnt have been able to delete your key from the start to get a different one, removing this is not removing a feature, its called fixing a game mechanic that has been abused for ages. I laugh at these threads thinking they are entitled to a certain key.

4 Likes

I never even played hots but I think they weren’t really going after my age group to begin with lol. I personally don’t like dota games or rather let me put it like this, the games are fine, the communities are by far the worst on the internet.

I’ve got the :popcorn: and :beers:! Let’s get this party started!

(FYI, this is the most amusing “sky is falling” scenario I’ve read recently!)

2 Likes