HotS is being cancelled, will WoW be next?

WOW. That is uber crazy. D:

It doesn’t have to take away development resources from WoW, Diablo, or Blizzard. It takes something away far more valuable than developer resources.
It dampens current customer loyalty. It puts risk on the table when it was still on the sideboard before. Doing so in such a remarkable and obtuse way makes investors start asking questions that they would not normally ask like:

Just on Diablo Immortal, can you give us a little more color on Diablo Immortal? And how should we think about the timing of that?

Followed by about ten seconds of uncomfortable silence until J. Allen Brack answers the question, with Bobby Kotick tossing in his blurb about reviews from the fans who played it being “really positive” in a move to dismiss the obvious elephant on the call.

Investors don’t really like getting that far down in the weeds on an earnings call and having to do so usually produces negative results for the stock on the call, as was observed the very next business day.

Fanboi it any way you like but putting your jimmies on the chopping block for a development project in front of customers who paid to find out what you were going to bring to them on the platform THEY cared about then not even turning around and giving them a kiss on the cheek, smacks of trying to win a metaphorical Darwin Award.

Sure you CAN do that but WHY in the world would you unless you thought that the market you were REALLY talking too was also listening and you suddenly cared more about their green than you did from the existing customers wallets. Likely because you thought you had a LOCK on those wallets. The customers, and the stockholders, thought differently.

This,the game in itself will be fine,theyre just cancelling the Heroes of the Dorm tournaments for now as it wasn’t as popular as it once was in esports especially with other MOBAs like League and DOTA still being vastly more popular.

I will miss the HGC. I really looked forward to watching them and seeing who was the best teams for the year.

They have sponsors. Periodically during the games, they will break for a listing of the sponsors.

You do realize W.o.W. is carrying most of Blizzard/Activation as a company right? W.o.W. is still making Blizzard/Activision money because of their micro transaction, (I.E. everything on W.o.W. Blizzard store… and they just made a hell of a lot of money from their six month sub and mount.)

Blizzard/Activision’ other flagship games are in the reach of cancellation and falling into the red soon… (I see them canceling those before they will touch W.o.W.)

Activision/Blizzard.

Not sure if your question is just trolling /shrug.

A s s kisser…

Happily munches popcorn would u like some cupcakes too? :cupcake::cupcake:

1 Like

I couldn’t care less anymore what Blizzard does to this game. I am over it. Still got 4 months left on my sub though and since I find reading and posting here more satisfying than actually playing the garbage that BfA is … Yeah, you know.

3 Likes

Well , yes, exactly.
cancel it while it made a big profit, and keep it going for a bit.
that’s how you maximize the profit instead of letting it wither.

All the posts about this HotS stuff and no one brought up that the pro teams got completely blindsided by this, after ramping up for the 2019 season.

1 Like

I tried so hard to enjoy HotS. I played it at launch, and then off and on for the last few years. My experience playing the game had grown worse as time went on. Whenever I made a post on the forum about how I disagreed with how something in the game worked, I was chastised and bullied off the forum.

I’ve always said, HotS punishes the player; the game is not meant to be fun unless you’re winning, and it’s meant to reward only the good and the competitive-- most people who I played with, I found, only enjoyed vs co-op AI, because player vs. player matchmaking was and is very unbalanced and poorly designed.

Everything in HotS loses its luster pretty quickly: The incentives for grinding character levels extremely high… almost non-existent, the rewards… come at a price, especially when you realize that in order to consistently level noticeably faster, you’d have to invest $5 per week, quite literally. Think about that for a second. The whole game, through and through, top to bottom, a bad model for a game-- Blizzard’s worst game to date.

I was so heartbroken by what they did to Diablo 2 characters. Seeing Mephisto was the final straw for me. One thing I still have yet to do; uninstall the thing…

ERrr, Overwatch? Love it.

Pretty much an extension of the gig economy. The power is held by corporations/employers.

The slaves, oops, I mean, servants, uh I meant peons, ooh I really meant pro gamers serve at the pleasure of their masters.

No contract means no severance. They didn’t even get the courtesy of a heads-up apparently based on their Twitter posts. Wham, bam, thank you, ma’am (or sir). Yes, I tried to do a Tortollan line.

I haven’t touched HOTS in ages, no surprise here.

But…Heroes Of The Storm is not being cancelled. It’s not even heading into a state of sunset. The development cycle is changing so more staff can work on other things…hopefully WoW Classic.

It wouldn’t make sense that Blizzard managers are taking resources from an underperforming product (HotS) only to shift the resources to a money losing product (classic/vanilla).

My guess is they are probably shifting those devs to staff up mobile. Or to other PC games so that the devs already on those games can opt to get in on the mobile side.

People use the diablo youtube video dislike to like ratio as a metric to judge WoW. The people of these forums are extremely irrational. It’s crazy the mental gymnastics people will use to hate on the game they’re playing. There’s always been that group of chicken littles and it’s getting quite old.

2 Likes

I don’t care one way or the other because m+ sucks this expansion but what does being forced into a certain dungeon add? Why can’t people push the dungeons they want to push? That would be like being forced to play certain maps in zombies. I just wouldn’t play.