Horde Players: Do you want Ashenvale with the Armistice?

They asked for mercy.

And their goddess heard them as Astarii began to sing.

Narrative wording from the story itself.

The only thing it states is that she heard them.

And “the Lady’s light, in the Lady’s love” that followed it.

If you do not believe it was Elune then I guess you believe Night Elves have pretty great healing powers.

I don’t know that Elune has ever healed anyone, and if she hasn’t we need proof that she can – and this isn’t it. This is pretty true to how the light works. You believe something hard enough and it happens.

After all, if Elune has power over water elementals, we need proof that she can make them put out fires right Amadis?

Is Elune necessarily omnipotent? I guess I’m not really sure what true deity means. But it’s not like bad things haven’t happened to night elves or to Cenarius (her son) before.

I guess gods are often depicted as unknowable entities that act in ways beyond the comprehension of their worshippers. But it might just be that she doesn’t have the ability to always intervene on their behalf.

7 Likes

So you believe it was the Light that healed the Night Elves? That’s a pretty bold claim to make.

Well, we have no proof that Elune can heal people. If Elune can heal people, why is she (allegedly) concerned about Tyrande dying to the Night Warrior?

So far we have had no instances of Elune bringing people back from the dead. Even her own son had to be revived by the Night Fae in Ardenweald. And Tyrande is not a Wild God.

So stop her from dying by healing her before she dies.

What makes you think she’s worried about that?

A) The Night Warrior Ritual is a RITUAL, it has NEVER been given just like a simple blessing, you have to do the ritual to earn that power.
B) Tyrande had the same risk as every chosen one by Elune in the history of the Elune High Priests.

The Night Warrior was a central element at the beginning of the Empire and one of the reasons why the night elves were invincible back then.

If Elune’s power would overload her like it did other people who attempted it, more power - be it in the form of trying to heal Tyrande - might just overload her even faster.

1 Like

Elune knew what happened, we know that, and that is what is causing the crisis of faith, because she knew and did nothing.

I think that would fall under omniscient. Omnipotent would mean capable of doing anything. They’re both words often applied to gods though. But I have also been wondering about how aware she is of events before she’s beseeched.

6 Likes

Read Elegy

It’s mutual. So then we have nothing more to talk about.

We’ve already had the conversation about our mutual disgust and it didn’t stop this conversation from happening again regardless. What’s always baffling to me is your inability to even consider that you might be wrong about something or that people can take a different perspective then one you subscribe to. Occasionally to the point of deliberately ignoring text for what feels like protecting yourself from any other alternate forms of thought.

13 Likes

The problem with the night warrior ritual is that it tends to basically blow up anyone who tries to use it. Elune’s power is just too much for a mortal body to withstand. It is sort of like what happens to a DH if they loose control of their fel energy. Even after successfully completing the ritual it still is still an constant strain keeping that much power contained. Tyrande is a candle burning both ends.

One of the cornerstones of Elune’s actions on Azeroth is she is really big on free will. When asked to aid she tends to just give you the tools to help yourself. True, direct divine intervention is incredibly rare and usually requires a test of worthiness. Avrus Illwhisper only succeeded in winning a transformation back into a Kaldorei by ripping his own heart out as an act of self sacrifice for the good of another. As Ysera lay dying she cried out to the sky, which I’d argue was a plea for help which Elune answered.

So, even given that, even if the power she asked for killing her Elune won’t intervene in that so long as Tyrande refuses to let her.

4 Likes

Its not really that someone has a different perspective… More than I find the perspective itself reprehensible.

They could not be more obvious about telegraphing thats the focus of one of the Shadowlands zones.

She didn’t do nothing. She just didn’t do enough. But maybe she did all she could.

I don’t understand why people think any god in Warcraft is all powerful. Like Elune could have just waved her hand and the entire Horde army would just vanish.

Warcraft is full of gods. When have any of them shown that kind of power? Why are expectations of Elune’s power so much higher than for any other god?

Like, she gives all your priests and priestesses their powers. She saves your head druid’s life, and she spares an entire civilization the pain of burning to death. What more do they want from her!

13 Likes

But you never describe what you actually find reprehensible about it, when you try it’s always kind of vague as though addressing any of the individual components of the argument would make you sound unreasonable. For example you’ve thrown around the term genocide apologist as though i’v personally subscribed to the idea that Darnassus was justified when in reality i’v argued extensively against people that Darnassus was a genocide and was morally repulsive, as far as I can tell the source of this comment was the fact I did not blame the Forsaken for being defensive of their homeland whether or not they agreed with their queens policies during the invasion of Undercity.

Another example is the accusation of being a pathological liar where I had argued in favor of one interpretation of Chronicles statement on the Elves of Shen’dralar and their reason for seclusion, which was just utterly strange because multiple people both during and before that thread had drawn the same conclusion about Shen’dralars reason for seclusion, so basically not only would I have to be lying about how I read the text, but so would about half the story forum including multiple people who play Alliance.

And now you’re arguing that I don’t understand a culture by basically just repeating ‘You don’t get it’ when I explain why I do get it and identify closely even with the spirituality in question. I think the only accusation you’ve lobbed my way with even an accidental ounce of merit was when you accused me of Marxism when I stated I detested the idea of starving a civilian population to achieve military goals, which guilty as charged, I love talking about Marx’s philosophy and how it shaped our perception of economics and automation. Even that was undercut by the fact that i’v argued with Stalinists very aggressively in the past and between the two of us you were the one who’s idea of policy was supported by a Tankie, I suspect because that stance on starvation was very similar to Holodomor.

It comes off as very defensive and evasive, and I wouldn’t be the first person to point out it also makes you look kind of insane.

10 Likes