Horde Players: Do you want Ashenvale with the Armistice?

I don’t see why she wouldn’t have a crisis of faith. Her society was burnt to the ground, she had countless people die, and she might be wielding Elunes power now but it was basically as the result of a business transaction where she would renounce the goddess and offer no sacrifice if not empowered.

I would no more worship her then I would worship the owner of a gunshop for letting me purchase a weapon to defend myself.

So we agree that her power up is not indicative that she’s been possessed by the most worthless True Deity in the setting?

Different thread. Here we are discussing the following:

And as stated, Tyrande’s eyes are still darkened, so she might not be having that much of a crisis of faith at all, since she’s still fighting on behalf of Elune.

I think she’s fighting on behalf of the Night Elven people more then anything, feeding Elunes bloodlust is a means to an end rather then an act of true faith.

1 Like

I think it’s stupid anyone of them would, especially two figures that are so symbolic.

Because you do not understand the philosophies of which the faith in inspired from. The Icon of Wisdom is the mark of the Kaldorei. The perseverance through tragedy is the ultimate act of faith.

It’s not that I don’t understand, it’s that I think people can lose faith even when the centerpiece of their religion is perseverance. As a matter of fact one of the most admirable traits of Tyrande early on was her willingness to live and die by her faith, with the assertion that ultimately it was the Night Elves who saved themselves, Elune merely gave them the tools to find their inner strength.

But characters can have high points and low points, Darnassus was just too much death, too much loss for her to accept. I think any sane person would have a moment of doubt unless they were completely blinded by zealotry. It makes sense.

Tyrandes just getting in touch with her Troll roots by partaking in blood sacrifice to her Loa.

2 Likes

I also think it’s not great writing, especially after having read an article that covered how war tragedies make more people more religious than less religious:

The data showed that people who had been more intensely affected by the violence of war were more likely to join or participate in religious groups and practice religious rituals. The data, collected in 2010 and 2011, came from previously published work by other researchers.

The more profound the impact of war on an individual — such as the death, injury or abduction of a household member — the greater the likelihood grew of that person turning to religion.

However, statistics also don’t mean that no one loses faith. It just seems that Delaryn and Tyrande are outliers, not representative of the majority of Night Elves.

Yes it is.

Sure, but not in this context… “Elune has abandoned us” is a BS line because Elune has never been expected to intervene. She has before, but it’s always been like a spectacle, not something people ever assumed would happen.

She cleansing Ysera moments before her death and immortalizing her in the stars was a miracle… Despite Elune not actually saving the Dragon’s Life…

So I think the entire plot point is stupid and makes no sense, and just another one of many examples that Blizzard doesn’t know their own lore. And once again is doing things in the service of erasing the culture and identity of a playable race. As a Forsaken player, you should sympathize with how that can be frustrating.

Elune has always accepted blood sacrifices. See quest in Desolace.

Also this.

Yes Delaryn was the final word of the Night Elves of War of Thorns… that rallying cry lost it’s potency with what followed, and Elune is Elune’s Mortal Avatar… She is symbolic, she shouldn’t be an outlier.

I mean, anything vaguely powerful is a Loa. Titans are Loa, Demons are Loa… Loa is kind of a blanket term.

1 Like

Yes, because she is a Loa.

This put your reply above me, and I think that’s funny.

But she is. As you said, not good storytelling.

The impression I get from your writing is that war should always harden someones spirituality because war often makes people find faith in a moment of crisis and that Tyrande should not turn her face from Elune because Ysera’s soul was saved in a miracle despite the fact that the thousand of Night Elves who were under her protection seemed to have no such miracle worked for them.

I’m just saying it makes sense why she would feel that way, and I wouldn’t blame anyone of faith for having doubts after such a traumatic experience. But me believing that doesn’t mean that I don’t agree with you that Blizzards been systematically destroying Night Elf culture and eating away at their identity, but it has nothing to do with me being a Forsaken player. Believe it or not I used to really like the Night Elves as a race before World of Warcraft and enjoyed their WC3 incarnation, there is a fork in the road where I might of wound up playing Alliance rather then Horde if they had maintained their cultural identity in the transition to MMO. Hell, in Guild Wars 2 I basically play a paladin-esque human whose entire focus is on preserving nature and the balance of the world, someone who draws heavily from Vietnamese Folk tradition and animistic faiths in their character construction because as weird as it sounds, I really love the benevolent protector of nature archetype.

I know it’s frustrating, and it sucks, and Blizzard does not in fact know it’s own lore. I spend an unhealthy amount of time reading about it even after i’v stopped playing the game. At the same time it’s really hard to side with Night Elf fans when voicing any kind of disagreement gets you labelled as a genocide apologist or is met by a barrage of claims that you’re ignorant on a subject.

I want to agree with you, nay, I DO agree with you on a lot of things. But I cannot in good conscious say that this idea for a story is intrinsically bad. Only that it was written poorly in the same way Blizzard wrote all of BfA poorly, and that it was kicking Night Elves when they were down. Now was not the time for the high priestess of Elune to have a crisis of faith when every other aspect of their culture was being systemically annihilated.

4 Likes

Delaryn went to super hell why wouldnt she have a crisis of faith?

I well give you that tyrande having one is weird, but Delaryn makes sense

Terran Gregory isn’t a Night Elf.

I quoted myself because it was in this thread.

“the night warrior is inside me” is the flowery moontree elf prose.

he also isnt a writer

And Terran Gregory isn’t a Night Elf, and is Project Director for Creative Development, Story and Franchise Development for Blizzard, and says that darkened eyes means Tyrande is still fighting on behalf of Elune.

In other words, to what you brought up:

Despite Tyrande’s words, seems she’s not having that much of a crisis of faith as she is still fighting on behalf of Elune.

1 Like

But my point after the fact, is that Elune is not inside of Tyrande literally. Terran Gregory told us what happened.

And Terran Gregory told us the faith is in Elune, not Tyrande. Per the lore, the Night Elves believe the Night Warrior is an aspect of Elune, not just the person who completes the ritual.