Horde PCs and Moral Responsibility

Turns out that’s what the Order Halls were for. From our perspective, Anduin and the Horde are taking a lot of credit for things we never actually saw them do.

If they could pick up a Tauren, pretty sure they could pick up even the heaviest of Alliance soldiers even in full armor.

But the Horde would have been trying to help, and the Alliance could not have possibly considered it the Horde having betrayed them then, which is a significant difference.

The Val’kyr on the Horde side were picking up Horde soldiers that were knocked out, probably prioritizing soldiers that couldn’t move on their own. If they did the same for the Alliance the Alliance soldiers couldn’t have resisted, and then the other soldiers would have seen their comrades taken to safety and seen the Horde in a better light.

Of course, this is all in the “Why didn’t the Horde do [X]?” category, which the answer simply is “This wasn’t the story Blizzard wanted to tell,” when Blizzard wanted the Alliance to think they were betrayed.

What? The Horde cinematic spends plenty of time showing the Horde retreat.

Lol I missed this before, where am I ignoring the Horde’s wrongdoings? By saying I don’t care about redemption? I’m not hiding behind indignation. I just wanted a more fleshed out and justified reason for WotT. It makes perfect sense to me that Genn would try to kill Sylvanas. It also would have made perfect sense for the Horde to want retribution for that since, yknow, that was Sylvanas and Saurfang’s reason for wanting to go to war but somehow Stormheim just gets a passing mention.

12 Likes

Perhaps I over-assumed, but because of this line:

I thought you were dismissing that Sylvanas tried to kill Genn first to try to take Gilneas in unprovoked aggression.

Just because we never saw it doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. From what Blizzard says there were orcs who opposed Garrosh’s reign and the Horde was present fighting on Argus but we see little to no sign of them in either case. There were literally two orcs in the entire Darkspear rebellion, not counting actual players. There were more High Elves on the Vindicaar than there were Horde characters.

Depends if the ones we see picking up Tauren are lesser Val’kyr which is the basis for your assumption.

Kind of a stretch. Did I not mention the Horde was routed. It didn’t retreat. It fled.

Huge assumption. They could have easily concluded that Sylvanas was trying to steal the Alliance’s wounded to raise into undeath.

It shows some running and limping away and some Val’kyr dragging away the wounded. Over half the cinematic is Varian killing a Fel Reaver and getting blown up.

The Horde has done plenty of things for the Alliance to get worked up and upset over. The Broken Shore is in fact one of the few times where the Alliance isn’t actually justified in their attitude. If your going to accuse the horde, use one of the many examples that are quite credible and pretty indefensible. The Broken Shore isn’t one of them.

4 Likes

Looking at the cinematic again, I can’t tell if the Val’kyr is picking up a Tauren or a Troll. Though, kind of moot point, speculating the carrying capacity of lesser Val’kyr. It’s whatever Blizzard wants it to be. Doesn’t seem very likely that they’d decide to write a scene where something is too heavy for a Val’kyr to lift, though.

By taking them to the Alliance airship?

Yeah. During which the Legion doesn’t do anything to stop them, when a moment before they were bombarding them with spaceship cannons and overwhelming portals.

Hey, I didn’t make J. Allen Brack the president of Blizzard. Take it up with him if that’s your stance.

The whole idea that lesser Valkyr were involved is an assumption so it is speculating regardless.

We are assuming the Alliance just lets them pick up the wounded without any resistance. The Alliance was armed and perfectly capable of attacking a handful off Val’kyr apparently trying to pick up their wounded. As I said, the Alliance already believed they were betrayed.

Just because you aren’t shown the fighting, doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. Your making a big assumption of a few moments showing a handful of people being carried from the battlefield.

Not sure the point your making. Blizzard’s lore in the novels and in game has pretty much pointed consistently (which is rare for blizzard) to the Alliance jumping the gun in blaming the Horde for the Broken Shore. I mean if we are going to take everything from Blizzard as word of gospel I might point out that Ion pretty much said the Alliance has done just as much bad stuff as the horde which is clearly incorrect.

1 Like

Mathematically there had to have been at least one. Or, of course, just a mistake on Blizzard’s part.

This is all we’re doing, yes.

This is also my point with Varian’s words at the end of Siege of Orgimmar. People use “aren’t shown, (doesn’t mean) didn’t happen” conveniently in whichever way suits their desires.

Your words of “If your going to accuse the horde, use one of the many examples that are quite credible and pretty indefensible. The Broken Shore isn’t one of them.” Which is exactly what J. Allen Brack did.

J. Allen Brack at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJCwT6s5e1I&t=1h4m35s :

Alliance. Alliance. You do not forget the Broken Shore. You do not forget the betrayal that lead to the death of your own King Varian.

You kind of move back and forth on this. Anduin says the Horde and the Alliance fought off the Legion, so we should take his word for it even though we don’t see it. But Ion can say something we don’t see and we don’t take his word for it. Seems rather arbitrary to me.

1 Like

Brack said that because he’s appealing TO the alliance, with a pov that many of them held, for cheap heat.

3 Likes

Sure did. My point is Blizzard seemed to have thought that was a great example instead of, you know, as Syriyna pointed out, anything else.

1 Like

Because it was cheap and easy heat, just like saying “lok’tar ogar” really loudly to a crowd of horde players is an easy pop.

2 Likes

Or “For the Horde” in the BfA intro cinematic, it turns out.

1 Like

Exactly, dumb lines that don’t mean anything but got a pop.

Definitely. But still the misleading narrative Blizzard told.

1 Like

Because according to them, people being angry about the game is good, so if you have the alliance angry at the horde for inaccurate reasons, they don’t care, it’s good.

7 Likes

Horrible, isn’t it?

5 Likes

Truly, and is one of the reasons I can’t wait to put this cancer of an expac behind us, if not soley for the fact the company is trying to work fans up to be actively hostile to each other.

7 Likes

In this case I think you were just the latest distraction from the fact that they’re spouting nonsense and trying to pass it off as concrete lore.

2 Likes

Definitely wouldn’t say concrete. But at least I’m not ignoring lore like you choose to.

A war leader who doesn’t make changes when drastic reversals call for them is a bloody stupid leader. Vol-jinn’s a Troll he does not have the orc mentality that “We must all die stupidly when honor is involved.” Part of me suspects that if Saurfang was in charge, that’s exactly what would have happened.

3 Likes

You remember this is the same Vol’jin that ran all his remaining reserves into a giant buzzsaw equipped scorpion mech, right?

Baine Bloodhoof yells: Our casualties are too heavy.
    General Nazgrim yells: Don't be foolish, Vol'jin! You have no siege weapons left! You cannot win this battle.
    Vol'jin says: Ain't no other way, mon. We gotta stop Garrosh here an' now, else we be runnin' the rest of our lives.