Horde PCs and Moral Responsibility

And then he threw the raid group at it and it worked.

You know, after thinking about it, I’d like to add something to my earlier response. You know whose eyes I really want the Horde PC to be redeemed in?

The devs’.

Yeah, they’ll write some half-rear-ended thing about how all we have to do is get rid of Sylvanas and everything will be fine, but the problem all along has been their underlying attitude about who and what the Horde is. As long as their goal is to write as much “Heavy Metal Bad@ss FOR THE HORDE” stuff as they can get away with, we’re going to have this problem.

I want the devs to start seeing the Horde as people with legitimate grievances and a defensible worldview, with motivations other than “YARRRR SMASH!” Because then they’ll present the Horde that way in the game.

18 Likes

This has come up a bit in some other threads I’m in, but the dumbest thing out of all of this is since ALL of this is getting pegged on Sylvanas, the Horde won’t be learning the dumb lesson the devs think needs exploring, cause it was just the bad elf lady, so we’ll have to do this song and dance AGAIN once the next team of writers decides they can do the moral questioning of the Horde better.

16 Likes

I do love that their reasoning for this story is that the Horde needs to question itself again and find out who they really are… and then the entire expansion so far is just… making Sylvanas as dumb, evil, and ostracized as possible. There’s no depth there it’s just Sylv is eBiL KILL HER!

15 Likes

No what would have been even faster?

Jaina teleporting people. You should be mad at her.

8 Likes

I definitely agree. What the hell, Jaina?

2 Likes

One mass teleport that shes done multiple times in the past, and everyones out safe and sound.

3 Likes

Or, heck, have Jaina teleport Sylvanas to time-out prison before she gave the orders to launch. Or why weren’t there shaman aboard the Kal’dorei fleet to speed it to Silithus - or beat a hasty retreat back home? Or where were the goblin Zeppelins in the Horde side of the campaign? lacking any alliance air support…

there’s a lot to be desired from many standpoints.

Overall, this has been a good thread to peruse and read. I think the difficult part from a horde pc perspective is 1) identifying and then reconciling their role in the overall story and 2) ridentifying how the NPCs see the PC in the overall narrative - and which NPC’s viewpoints actually matter?

It does feel that the horde PC - and all PCs, perhaps - are props and catalysts for keeping the story going. Participants in a theme park

2 Likes

Yeah there are alot of weird things when it comes to some of the super powers that would make things easier in wow, and I agree with you, only thing I’ll say is from my understanding, and I could be way wrong, but I think a mages teleport needs to be on willing, or at least not openly hostile targets, else we could just get lots of mages to teleport every problem away.

And yeah, it’s so odd to me that they try to make our pcs part of whats going on, but at the same time make us just viewers for stuff.

1 Like

And that’s a good point - though I could have sworn Jaina teleported (or was that ice block?) Varian during the final moments of the Battle for Undercity.

I’ve always looked at teleportation like using a Star Trek transporter: as long as the transporter had the coordinates/location of the target to transport, it’s all good. Arcane, from my understanding, is basically the math/science ‘arm’ of magic.

But, good point nonetheless

Edit to add: I do routinely find myself at odds with some quests, depending on what toon im playing (horde & alliance included), so I will avoid those. But that appears to be the extent of player agency with regards to questing. However, I expect that from an MMO that needs to create a rather singular narrative for all X PCs to partake in - compared to a TES single player game.

1 Like

I believe she teleported him and everyone else Alliance side, but that’s why I included, not openly hostile to you.

ANd yeah, they are limited by just what WoW is, and it doesn’t have the groundwork for something like swtors stuff, but just their execution of it during BfA seems so conflicting.

1 Like

ah! reading fail on my part. good point.

just need to teleport in a succubus, charm sylvanas, have her accept the portal and…!

Will of the Forsaken Finger guns

1 Like

Checkmate, Nora. Guise of Bobby Fisher title awarded

1 Like

Medivh got nothing on my chess skills.

2 Likes

Although I will say I am aware some bosses can do it, Darkmaster Gamling comes to mind off the top of my head, but I feel as if that’s either just for an interesting game mechanic, or they’re not a normal mage, they’re always some kind of necromancer, or dark caster or something.

As you can see I’m still not far as I would like to be in working the Horde narrative. (I’d been concentrating on getting my main the Pathfinder acheivement so that I could make life easier for the alts. )

When Derek Proudmoore was raised into Undeath, it was not as one of the Forsaken. He was an enemy being made into a weapon of destruction for another Enemy.

That’s the only relevant consideration.

Gilneas’ very existence next to a Horde capital was provocation enough.

Except Gilneas was not even Alliance at the time and the Horde invaded a neutral city!

2 Likes