Horde controlled Darkshore

Horde 2010: We need your lumber and trees to live! Give it to us!

Alliance 2014: Okay, okay, sheesh, take Azshara and Stonetalon and leave Ashenvale alone.

Horde 2018: Now your trees must die!

Alliance 2018: :neutral_face:

19 Likes

Ashenvale isn’t exactly an easy position to take. Its got a single, relatively small shoreline that was already home to one of the Horde’s few already existing Harbor’s and military outposts (before the War of Thornes). Its also easily defensible on all sides, is closer to the Horde seat of power, and is a far more important position for the Horde to hold (which means, considering the construction in Darkshore, Ashenvale is heavily reinforced).

Also 
 I feel like you’re missing the point of my post. It seems like the Horde is there to antagonize the Kal’dorei into making an emotion driven and poorly thought out attack to reclaim the territory. The entire Horde army isn’t up there, its just portions of the two races (Bilgewater and Forsaken) that would piss off the NEs the most; and are the ones the NEs have the most trouble fighting (because both Gobs and Undead are good at destroying the terrain NE tactics rely on).

Darkshore isn’t about resources. Ashenvale is, but the Kal’dorei being able to open up a front there immediately would be nuts (and honestly a little insulting to the Horde considering its locale and importance). Unless the dialogue contradicts this, what it seems like is Darkshore exclusively exists to tempt the NEs into attacking and then getting mired in a perpetual swamp that is far, FAR easier for the Horde to both reinforce and resupply; bleeding a wound and the Alliance in the process.

2 Likes

I assume they wanted to use the backdrop of Teldrassil burnt in the background.

4 Likes

I’ve seen “death camps” mentioned a few times in reference to Darkshore, but I don’t know what people are talking about. Is there a literal death camp or POW camp for NEs that the Forsaken are running?

2 Likes

Hamuul and Zen’tabra are Alliance now, bois.

I believe the POW camp is still calling them up to be summarily executed. Plus, in an original build, Belmont was running a camp full of Kaldorei civilians, /yelling for them to be brought up and slain. Now he’s running a goblin drill.

There WAS a death camp for sure, now there MIGHT still be a death camp. Take it all with a grain of salt until live release - much like everything we’re debating about 8.1.

6 Likes

Allow me to put on the shiny new Villain Hat I just made.

If I were to be cruel and goal driven
 :

The trees in the forest are Malfurion’s eyes and ears. The Horde needs a few areas completely devoid of natural life for the safety of its mission.

Forsaken Blight and Goblin tech have proven useful at destroying Malfurion’s tools in the past.

With Ashenvale secure, Darkshore can be a slash and burn Warfront with little lost on the Horde’s end except land they had conquered. And if the Night Elves do win it back - the Horde will make curing Felwood look like a cakewalk.

A Horde sleeper agent, keeping me distracted with mission tables so I wouldn’t be able to stop Sylvanas myself, and a Loa Priestess of Gonk.

1 Like

I’m all for cutting down trees and depriving Malfurion of his weapons. But blighting them instead of using them for ourselves? That’s not a long-term plan. Durotar needs wood, desperately so. Why are we destroying our own lumber supply?

5 Likes

Ironically, this appears to be what Sylvanas did to Hamuul by sending him to Silithus.

2 Likes

It’s a weird strategy. The Blight’s double edged nature means that it’s supposed to be a deterrent: a weapon that’s only used when the Forsaken are pushed to the edge in order to deter aggression against them. When it’s used all the time, the enemy then have no reason to hold back and tread carefully.

3 Likes

That’s
 really insightful, thanks. I’d been having trouble articulating exactly why the overuse of blight was bothering me from a diagetic perspective (it bothered me from a non-diagetic perspective because it was becoming their only hat, and I liked when they had more depth)

3 Likes

Calia
 i think that you have work to do.
LIGHTFORGE THE FORSAKENS! holy war now!

okay my only complain here is that this is a stupid warfront.
and isn’t the blight supposed to make inhabitable for the forsakens also? or they are inmune now?

nobody wants a permanent stalemate. and i think that this nelfs vs forsakens is completely random.

5 Likes

Vengeanteer Reignac: “We need more power to stop the Horde from destroying this majestic forest!”

Vengeanteer Galenorn: “Then let our powers combine!”

“Stars!”
“Night!”
“Arrows!”
“Moon!”
“Vengeance!”

Tyrande: “By your powers combined I am Captain E’lune!”

Go E’lune!

Captain E’lune, she’s our hero,
Gonna take pollution down to zero,
She’s our powers magnified,
And she’s fighting on the Alliance side!

Captain E’lune, she’s our hero,
Gonna take pollution down to zero,
Gonna help her put us under,
Bad Horde who like to loot and plunder!

Gallywix: “You’ll pay for this Captain E’lune!”

28 Likes

Well, you made me laugh. I’ll take any small miracle I can get in this abyssmal story. Have a :blue_heart:, you earned it.

3 Likes

Again, if they like it so much, why didn’t they blight Tirisfal?

wait
 i am confused
 does that means that nelfs can now clean the blight? so they can clean the blight in lordaeron and gilneas right?

wasn’t the blight supposed to make the land uninhabitable for years?

1 Like

Last I heard, yeah.

To me, it seems like another narrative casualty. Since the stuff won’t stop getting overused in the story, it loses its punch as a last-resort doomsday weapon. So now it has to have a cure, which then validates it being overused even more.

I’m not sure what would have been wrong with just using good old-fashioned warlock shenanigans, like demon summoning or reversible necromantic rot instead. I think that would have been just as forsakenish, makes a lot more sense as something that can be cleaned up when the warfront changes hands, and actually offers a bit of class representation the same way cleaning it up is druidic.

5 Likes

Nature magic/Life Magic has always seemed to be a pretty good way of dealing with Blight (provided those decontaminating the land have the actual time to do so). The red dragonflight did this at the Wrathgate, so its not impossible that druidic magic could work in a similar way (after all, the Blight 
 despite looking like a chemical weapon 
 is a biological weapon instead. Its a disease).

What Nature Magic seems bad at dealing with is Fel and Arcane contamination, where Death/Undeath Magic (its polar opposite) it seems particularly effective at countering, while also being super weak against it (depending on the use). The NEs could presumably cure places like Lordaeron and the Plaguelands if they had the time and incentive; but places like the Blasted Lands, Felwood, and SoS would require the Draenei (those talented in the Arcane) to really take a crack at it.

EDIT: In short, opposites counter eachother.

2 Likes

The orcs were burning excess lumber in Cata. They didn’t even need it then.

2 Likes

I guess Malfurion can’t use nature against us if there is no nature at all.

:B

Additionally, is a blighted landscape really the kind of world you want to inherit?

Even if we did defeat the Alliance, who wants to live in a wasteland ruled by Sylvanas and her nuScourge?

6 Likes