Holy Power, is anyone for it?

Just throwing my name in here as well in case bliz are taking notes, which I can only hope they are.

Holy Power is a horrid system for all involved.
Leave the combos to the rogues. Doesn’t belong here at all. and if it is destined to come back to prot pallies, Azeroth have one less tank about. No negotiation on this one. I won’t be a part of it.
End of story.

3 Likes

I like holy power for ret. don’t play the other specs so idc.

3 Likes

Ya, it feels fine and good on ret. Should stay imo.

2 Likes

I’m not against Holy power for Hpal. It will definitely add some spice to the spec. Before Glimmer was implemented Holy paladins were so boring to play that I honestly considered switch to a different healer. We have to remember it is the alpha and things will change, we have to make sure we provide feedback and hope they listen. If Holy power is implemented well and Holy paladins don’t feel clunky I think it will add another layer of game play to the spec. We’ll see.

1 Like

Just my 2c, I was a Paladin main from BC through to Cata and I’ve tried picking my Paladin back up each expansion since and just can’t do it.

It’s been a long time since they introduced HPower, in fact, we’ve now had it longer than we didn’t. But for me, they haven’t felt like Paladins since they changed them. To be fair, I think there will always be two schools of thought, those that long for seal gameplay and those that enjoy holy power but I often wonder how many people are in the same boat as me, waiting for their Paladin to feel like they used to.

Worst case scenario, I’ll get my Paladin back with the BC release, happy days!

6 Likes

That’s the time I stopped playing my paladin because the holy power system was terrible. I hated it. If they were to pick a time and unprune to make the paladin class fun it should have been around WotLK. HATED HOLY POWER! Terrible idea.

6 Likes

I like Holy Power for paladins

1 Like

I don’t hate holy power…

I just want one more ability. I feel like without Divine Storm as a “normal” rotational attack ret feels like it’s missing an ability. Judgement is great and all, but the CD feels too long for me to consider it a move like I’m thinking about. CS is nice and all, but hits for far too little dmg IMO. I think Judgement just needs a lower CD, maybe 6 seconds.

Other wise holy power feels fine to me on ret.

3 Likes

This 100%. For me, the “standard” Holy Paladin in BFA felt so incredibly boring and lackluster to play, Glimmer came to save it and provide a nice and very fun playstile.

Now I don’t believe Glimmer should be the only way the spec is be viable and fun, so I’m glad is a talent now as those who don’t like it should have different options. But the base “glimmer-less” spec needs to have some more stuff going on.

I can agree that HP might not be the only solution, but it’s most definitely an improvement from the BFA “standard” Holy Paladin playstile and at least gives it that extra thing to do or manage. I think if they do it well (again, going back to the MOP version) it can be really good.

I could be ok with HP on ret. When we were the fun battlemage design , I didn’t mind HP.

Now that we are wheelchairs with a boring static rotation , it feels awful and limiting.

So HP can be tolerable if its complimented with good design, but Blizzards ‘vision’ of paladin is so boring and lame now that I don’t think I’ll ever like it again, HP or not.

1 Like

What’s the cliffs notes on MoP HP for those of us that didn’t play then?

Theres really no point in trying to judge it till release.

Loved Holy Power in Cata and MoP, it was super OP in PvP. Those instant cast Word of Glory heals… those were the days.

1 Like

I think that holy power could be fun, and interesting to be used, but how it is now it is more of a lackluster state. Like if they moved it from being just a builder/spender concept, and make it more of a augmentation type system. So you have spenders that have a base cost, but that you have the option to spend addition holy power on the spender to gain additional effects. To me this is more interesting as it gives me more choices to make, and potential utility options.

Using consecrate as a example, and it being a holy power spender that costs one holy power. You drop it leaving a field dealing x holy damage over x seconds at a cost of one holy power. Than if you spend two holy power on consecrate that field now snares targets in it slowing them, and if you spend three it might stack a debuff on people in the field. Each of these are valuable in different ways as the damage of the field for one holy power can be quite nice, the snaring field effect is nice in pvp an situations that you need to slow targets, and a debuff depending on what it is could be quite potent.

2 Likes

it probably would be very problematic for me to have holy power on all specs. although i would only play holy pally, i would have an interest to switch to protection to see how it played ( legion and BFA player ), but even without the holy power aspect of it, it was a bit complicated / unappealing for me.

and of course with ret, impossible for me to play. i remember i tried ret in BGs a few times and ended up playing in a awkward / perplexed manner. i basically couldn’t manage myself in mobility, healing, etc, and only knew how to go as far in a certain dps rotation which i didn’t even know what to press often, and in some occasions, completely wouldn’t even press anything at all. protection was difficult as well.

so to answer on having holy power specifically for which classes, then i would say only for ret, and keep holy and protection without holy power . i play holy paladin because it allows me to have a straightforward rotation and playstyle, do dps here and there while also healing. as a matter of fact, that’s mainly the reason why i play one in world PVP and BGs in particular is so i can play more like a off healer / pocket healer in a way and try to dps more when possible.

with holy power, it would make holy paladin too complex to play for me. for some of course, they would like how it adds this complexity or whatever. but for me, my playstyle consist of having my hotkeys and abilities set up in my abilities bar in a certain way where i can connect them together as i am simultaneously looking at the battle and buttons.

the issue with holy power aspect is that it takes to much capacity for me to know what’s to be used when and where in my screen and at the same time, press that ability efficiently. not to mention that i don’t use extra abilities bars. i only use the left or middle bar, and the added abilities would require me to add an additional bar either stretched in the middle or a right bar, which will make it even more confusing and distressing to play.

i’m already factoring in a few new abilities i may need to add, regardless of whether they are holy power spenders or not. so i’m basically trying to fit all abilities on the bottom left bar only. for example, i might need to get rid of a manual trinket buff ( instead using stat stick / automatic trinket buffs ) and replace that spot with a new ability such as the covenant ability vanquisher’s hammer.

The only way I could see Holy Power working is if they were not boring rip-off glowy combo points. Right now IMO, it just doesn’t fit the class.

(almost) every ability used should not generate HP because that just makes HP meaningless, same and boring. I also think a system where abilities that need HP having a threshold of HP doesn’t work - it’s arbitrary (too mechanical like rogue) and has nothing to do with the fantasy (we are not mages who need a certain combination of runes, etc to unlock a spell). Instead, I think different levels of HP should contribute to power, or have spells have different effects maybe with different trade offs.

Maybe it’s too complex a system for WoW, but a pally can dream :slight_smile:

Ret main here, and I have been wanting to see changes made either to our core design or through the addition of talents that would give us greater control/flexibility with our Holy Power for years now.

If we must all have Holy Power, then I hope they get bold with it. Give us something meaningful—give us new and cool ways to spend it.

For example, I remember suggesting a talent throughout Legion—I named it Holy Well—that would allow us to store “orphaned” Holy Power up to a certain amount that we could then release as an empowered source of damage or healing.

I like the idea of being able to squirrel away resource for a needed moment, and I think that the ability to do so could translate well to heal/dmg/survive as needed for each role. Funnily the Well of Existence essence is something like this idea, but with healing only. (Not saying they saw or cared about my suggestion)

I had hoped that perhaps they would remove Holy Power from the one remaining spec of the three that still had it, but instead they have spread it to the other two once again. A strange call, but here we are guys. I hope we can make the best of it.

My main gripe with Holy Power is that it feels like we are replaying the same few bars of music if you will. The music wants to reach a crescendo, but it just never quite gets there because you just keep pumping out TVs or what have you.

Just my two cents!

1 Like

I felt I had to add my voice to NOT having holy power come back.

I hated Holy Power when it was first implemented to the point where I changed my main to another toon. I was really hoping to go back to my Pally in Shadowlands but after seeing Holy Power returning I will be playing another character. I wish they would revert their decision about doubling down on HP but that never happens once they start down a path. :frowning:

I’ve always found Holy Power to be clunky and felt as if it was “in the way” to a smoother rotation. If I want to play a builder/spender I’ll play a Rogue.

It’s depressing and frustrating at the same time to want to play a character but you hate the mechanics so much you feel you need to play something else.

2 Likes

If so ya fun and implemented correctly, sure!

It’s all just fluff and stuff, who cares, the question to me is simple: is it fun to play?

If the answer is yes, I don’t care what it’s called.

2 Likes

I didn’t mind it in Cata or MoP so I don’t mind it at all. I don’t think it’ll solve the “gap” issue though that some specs have.

I would have much rather saw them try to rework the seal system of yore. Obviously we don’t need or want to go back to Seal > Judge > Seal > Autoattack, but having seals for different type of effects again would have been nice. Like how Seal of Command later on was reworked to let your abilities cleave, that might be useful occasionally. or Seal of Light being extra healing etc. Hell make them specific to specs. So like Holy gets a Seal of Light that provides passive healing (the way paladin should be, a melee healer), Ret gets seal of command which they can use to do cleaves, idk what Prot would get.

1 Like