High Elf Allied Race Megathread (Continuation)

the blood elves?

oh you mean the album with nothing but dalaran high elves and vereesa appearances in the context of kirin tor reps? you should update it. take one with vereesa appearing as alleria arm candy in razor hill

The list grows thin, indeed!

I personally think that High Elves will happen, not as a carbon copy of Blood Elves ofc, but they will happen. However, the problem is if the game will still be relevant by that time or just a dead game looking for some last easy profits before itā€™s closure.

4 Likes

I want to play a fair skinned, brown haired, brown eyed elf thoughā€¦

4 Likes

Iā€™m not talking about Blood Elves, man.

I mean, cā€™mon you really quoted me to type this?

The Blood Elves addition literally didnā€™t change anything, since you know High Elves didnā€™t vanish. As long High Elves keep existing their fan base will also be kept alive.

Your efforts are pointless, itā€™s like someone trying to beat ocean waves, the waves will keep coming as long the ocean is there.

5 Likes

and yet they beat on still. They say we are beating a dead horse but they are beating something that doesnā€™t die.

1 Like

yes you are. high elves are blood elves now

blood elves are playable high elves. only the adjective vanished. a few just cling to it to show political dissent. an adjective is not a candidate for an AR

1 Like

Tattoos, eye color, new hairstyles, and unique underpants are, though. See: every other allied race.

6 Likes

those are all variants of a core race

these are customizations. the core races needs these. BAD

Wrong Alliance raceā€¦

2 Likes

Then every allied race shouldnā€™t exist and simply be a customization for playable races. But thatā€™s not the direction Blizzard went in, so High Elves remain a viable possibility on the basis of ā€œthese things make an allied race.ā€

3 Likes

If you want those for core races I suggest making a thread requesting it.

Of course continuing to post your ideas and requests her only helps our cause so whatever I guess.

These threads at the end of the day just become a statistic and their contents mean nothing so far as blizzard is concerned. To them it is just another capped high elf request thread and thus tells them high elves are a popular request.

1 Like

aye. So many people argue against high elves and wildhammer because ā€œit should be customization for the core race just like all allied racesā€

I am sorry to say that ship has sailed. The allied race system is what it is and you not agreeing with what blizzard made it doesnā€™t change what it is.

1 Like

Several issues here; do you really think NB are lorewise limited to those three skin tones and thereā€™s no variance? Do you think that giving NB more skintones similar to NEā€™s would be horrendous?

IDK; I really find the notion of bemoaning skin tones puzzling; I really cannot agree that identity is THIS linked to skin tone when VEā€™s animations feel a far larger infringement on visual identity. Humans, gnomes, dwarves and belves share a lot of skin tones, and obviously is the rest of their differences what gives us visual cues.

High Elves with a different stance would be FAR moire visually distinct than VEā€™s in full armor. Blood Elves visual identity is not solely on their skin tone or hair colors.

Thereā€™s more to visual identity than that, and to be quite honest, nor do I prescribe to the notion of visual identity when Pandaren already exist -not talking about neutral race mechanics, simply that visual identity is not some sort of holy threshold that cannot be crossed. It already was and the world continued.

NB have the NE model with altered proportions and idle stances; all other animations are shared. Itā€™s definitely not a ā€œcompletely different model.ā€

So you are definitely cognizant of how a different idle stance and build make a model feel unique enough if you believe so.

More over; BE skin tones are shown to be quite sun kissed and tanned; high elves could be made to be ashier/palier as they have lived for too long far away from the eternal spring of Quelā€™thalas.

Differentiation, if it is the name of the game, can be achieved.

But still, I am not one with the need for it.

Yet is this sort of design ideology that gave us Void Elves, high on aesthetic, low on background. They are voided Blood Elves, they look different, but besides being anti horde, what makes them different ideologically from blood elves?

We have seen with them how focusing only on the aesthetic creates backlash. It simply canā€™t be one or the other, it has to be a mix of both.

High Elves can be made to exist on the empty spaces Blood Elves donā€™t occupy now; itā€™s simply alarmist to say BEā€™a are being cannibalized of their aesthetics when there is ENOUGH of the thalassian content created for Warcraft that exists beyond the BEā€™s current aesthetic -cause BEā€™s changed too, they are not the same pre third war society they were- and added that to the evident human culture syncretism allows the HEā€™s to be their own distinct identity:

High Elves can most certainly intrude very little on the current BE aesthetic; but then the question becomes whether you think HEā€™s can use the thalassian elements not currently used by BEā€™s.

But thereā€™s the unreasonable notion that BEā€™s should have the monopoly on human like skin and fair hair. Itā€™s simply nonsense to believe BEā€™s are defined by those traits in conjunction, as much as saying ā€œwhite hair and purple skin are NE identityā€

You canā€™t get rid of a certain overlap between aesthetics, but you can have different focuses and medians, to the point there are enough difference that even a blonde and fair skinned HE looks different enough from a BE.

You can have different hues on the skin -less tanned- or have a paled blonde and overall less saturated hair colors on high elves; you can make blue-white hair more emblematic as it is the case with Vereesa.

You can have differences even inside of an overlapping thematic, that is how we have Nightborne.

What I am simply asking is for HE that can exist on the unused spaces of thalassian lore; an unused aesthetic given place through a lore reason, like ā€œYes, Quelā€™danil elves continue to wear old fashined tattosā€ or ā€œYeah, Vereesa who has obviously molded the SC in image of the Farstriders has dipped into old traditionsā€

These are not unreasonable developments. A people doesnā€™t shed the whole of their culture with an exodus or migration,. they focus on different aspects of it, and with High Elves, it can even be a reasoned choice to hold to the bits of their past the BEā€™s have moved past to.

Hereā€™s the thing; HEā€™s canā€™t simply be traditional HE fantasy, nor can BEā€™s. They have both changed, and High Elves are one of the few races that have been profoundly affected living hosted by another culture, that approach can be made entirely unique to this setting.

But itā€™s okay on Nightborne, yes, you have said that.

Whatever cultural identity HEā€™s have now is definitely affected by their assimilation into human culture, something categorically untrue for Blood Elves. We have 3 different human kingdoms in game, aesthetically different from each other. High Elves would fall on a similar place.

ā€œHigh Elvenā€ identity could very well be based on a mix of thalassian and human, what we could call ā€œDalaraniā€ and they would be unique. And while I agree that the more distinct the better, to presume HEā€™s should have nary a connection to their past because itā€™s shared with BEā€™s is nonsense.

Itā€™s their past too. We can all agree that trying for differentiation would be the best, but again, barring HEā€™s from their own past to the point of denying the possibility of them having tattoos when BEā€™s donā€™t currently use them is simply selfish.

8 Likes

Iā€™m not really a huge fan of elves, but Iā€™d trade void elves for these elves any day. Iā€™m so disappointed with void elves. Their entire story and lore is so cheap and flimsy.

I would have been much happier with these elves. Theyā€™re sleek, elegant, as well as having good lore and background. They look and feel like they belong in the game. They would be a far superior choice to void elves

5 Likes

I think this adequately sums up high elves and what makes them different from blood elves.

Blood elves do indeed have the culture often associated with high elves in many fantasy universes.

High elves post warcraft 3 (the ones that remained with the alliance) are like human elves. Note that is not half elves (though half elves are part of this ā€œHuman elfā€ society). Simply put they are elves that culturally are like humans.

2 Likes

I think, if anything, the inclusion of High Elves will make WoW relevant again. It will revive interest in the game and it might even bring people who have played since warcraft 2 back again

3 Likes

They literally are. If the point is to make them aesthetically different, cosmetic differences and behavioral ones ARE distinctions, non-biological ones.

And yet we literally have Pandaren where their whole thing is about ideology. Like sure, I am not asking for the same treatment -but to say ā€œpolitical opinion is not distinct enoughā€ is embarrassingly ignorant when it has been literally the case.

And yet there continues to be a group(s) of HEā€™s currently in the alliance. The fact is that there are organized groups of High Elves on the alliance, simply as that. Those facts donā€™t change because you believe Blood Elves are the TRUE continuation of the kingdom or whatever. It doesnā€™t matter.

High Elves exist on the alliance. They just do, no matter how much it bothers you.

Itā€™s like you literally didnā€™t read the whole point about aesthetic differentiation only being a necessity because BE players feel HEā€™s would infringe in their identity, hence the ā€œdarned if you do, darned if you donā€™tā€

Please pay attention if you are gonna reply.

Also do you realize we disagree with Ionā€™s logic, right? Thatā€™s the whole point, we find his answer reductive and simplistic and we are aware that not because of his role he is the holder of all truths.

Specific to this, I really donā€™t know how High Elves culturally having a different aesthetic and behavior from Blood Elves is ā€œlore bendingā€ when their differences are literally part of the lore. The point is about translating those differences into a different aesthetic.

Yet NB have the same models than NE, with changed proportions and stance. Did the Nightwell made them stand differently? What about all the cultural and historical overlap? I have seen MANY NE players saying NB took away from their themes, but since it doesnā€™t suit you I guess they are wrong in your eyes.

ā€œIt changes usā€ said Thalyssra, to what amounted to a different build and stance and ear shape. So little change that she herself used a NE model on the Suramar cinematic.

Thatā€™s the hypocrisy, to say NB are ā€œsooooo different from night elves you guyssssā€

Only when it suits you.

9 Likes

High Elves are in a rather unique cultural landscape by living hosted by a different -human-culture.

Even if we falsely pretend that Blood Elves are unchanged from their Pre-Third War days, the exiled High Elves are ex-pats, living in a different culture, assimilated into it, becoming something else.

7 Likes

As I said, the former ones still exist, nothing that you type here will change this, and many people outside the forums are aware of this since you know, the game, the main source(that has way more people on it than this forums), made a clear border between these elven groups everywhere.

These threads existed even before I started playing WoW, and kept going all the way until I joined the discussion. Why do you believe that what Iā€™m saying or what youā€™re saying is going to change it?

This whole thing is way bigger than you or me, only Blizzard can end this.

13 Likes

and it only has one ending unless you want to wait the several decades until the warcraft franchise is discontinued. Even WoW itself ending wouldnā€™t stop the request because there would be a new warcraft game at some point.