High Elf Allied Race Megathread (Continuation)

The game states plainly that High Elves are a different concept from Blood Elves.

2 Likes

Hahaha. What are you talking about?

Go to WoWpedia. read chronicles.

Seriously. How about, instead of trying to dismiss everything I’ve said, try and take down a single piece. I’ll give you a citation for every bread crumb.

2 Likes

Sounds like you’re too stubborn to accept the stance WoW takes on races. Sounds like a you problem?

Sounds like you’re simply trying to downplay an official statement from Blizzard that proves your “headcanon” wrong so you resort back to your typical “Doesn’t matter” line.

Sounds like more whining that Blizzard doesn’t agree with your line of logic, so I guess that “doesn’t matter” right? My gosh the only one being obtuse here, seems to be you.

I have read both, and nothing you’ve said has been backed up by any official source. In actuality we’ve given you examples of Blizzard quite clearly proving you wrong but you sit here and call it “Lucky writing” and refuse to acknowledge anything that might not line up with your agenda in the conversation.

Burden of proof lies with you little one, if you’re gonna cite lore that contradicts what the game plainly says, you’re gonna have to start citing your sources.

The High Elves from 1998 actually went to Draenor and got stuck there and are an Alliance base in The Burning Crusade.

Which is as close as you’re ever going to get to them.

I’m more of a Silver Covenant fan, but Allerian Stronghold exists and has a snapshot version of ranger elves.

Which is just me talking lore. The rest of your comment, by the way, has nothing to do with the request.

Blood Elves changed culturally. They’re a different group, I have Blood Elves I play and I like Blood Elves. But if we were interested in Blood Elves we wouldn’t be having this conversation.

7 Likes

Nah. You can’t just blanket say that what I’m saying contradicts lore.

Call me out for something. I’ll give you the citation so you can learn WoW’s lore.

We’ll get to the same place eventually if you’re willing to learn.

1 Like

The High Elven kingdom of Quel’thalas are those High elves. The remaining High elves from that kingdom renamed themselves the Blood Elves. This is even said in the login character screen.

Funny that you should mention the Allerian High elves because out of all the “current” high elves they seem to get along the most with Blood Elves. From Auric Sunchaser their commander residing permanently with the Blood elves at the Sunwell, while preaching the desire for reunification between the two groups, and another Allerian high elf npc Ros’eleth literally referring to the Blood elves as High elves, and how she still wants to join them with the Farstriders.

The Wiki even says that the Blood Elf Farstriders are the closest thing to traditional High elf society in current wow.

As do all characters in books, and stories. The High elves have evolved, but like Lady Liadrin said during the Nightborne quest they’ve never “forgotten” who they are. Out of all the elven races in Wow Blood Elves best represent High elven culture in the clothes they wear, the language they speak, the structures they build and the traditions they practice. During the Blood elf heritage quest you are turned into a high elf to experience their struggle against Arthas; at that point you are literally playing the high elves from Wc3. You’re asking to play a race from a point in time that has long passed, a fantasy that Blood elves were added into the game to fulfill.

Haha. I was saying if you wanted a snapshot of those specific, Warcraft 2 Elves, they exist in Draenor.

The dude has an Island Team in the alliance.

As for the rest of your post, seems to be ignoring High Elves from WoW.

That’s some Blood Elf headcanon for you. Which is the spot we always run into on this forum. People who don’t know that Blood Elves and High Elves are different.

Read In the Shadow of the Sun and Blood of the Highborne I guess. Then we’ll talk again.

And everybody is asking to play the High Elves that are in WoW right now. Like those two up on that boat you hate so much.

1 Like

No, you don’t agree to that.

You said that Void Elves weren’t a compromise on the wishes of those against alliance high elves. I pointed out how it was a compromise. Those against found that the model got shared, those for didn’t receive the exact flavor they wanted.

So still getting the thalassian themes, and frankly from all of the proposed art I’ve seen, the thalassian look is just giving the for side just about everything they want.

But looking through this thread so far, you project so hard with this statement.

We also wouldn’t be having this conversation if they never had shown any High Elves still loyal, or shown friendliness to alliance.

To summarize my observations on this thread-

We have players requesting to have the allied High Elves become playable, becuase blizz seems to keep recycling them in game. They are of the same race and roots as blood elves but have different political and even moral beliefs than the Horde’s Blood Elves.

We are in a conundrum of if a race should be put on the opposite faction, seeing that the Horde has Blood elves and the Alliance wants High elves… Genetically same, do we want to push that boundary, and have a biologically same race on opposite factions based on politics alone? Many others and Myself say… Yes Absolutely. I can see where maybe some people will get a bit nervous it could overshadow the Blood elves and their story… but I believe it doesn’t have to, it is an allied race with a side story, not a core race.

To make them appear different and not be physically different, like suggested before… blizzard could give them a different Idle, to reflect attitude and whom they have been spending their time with. Different Hair Styles for the same reason. Model does not have to change… it is icing on the cake, but not what is necessary.

They could build new structures as their “hub” or town… and similarly like the forsaken did when they got to build their own structures in Northrend, they made things to their own liking… the High elves will have no reason to build like blood elves.

For the future we have no idea if blizz will ever bring them back to the forefront…
my speculation is that they will if we ever get to see the Windrunner sister story line come to a head. This could be in the final patch and the alliance would have to gain exalted rep and quest lines to unlock them if they release them in 9.0.

So I think the merits of them being on the alliance isnt lore breaking, its not going to ruin any faction identity, and it would make for a more immersive alliance.

5 Likes

I mean… technically in Vanilla every single elf in Quel’thalas was dead and ALL of them Blood Elves were in Outland. Which they retconned in Burning Crusade and then explained in Blood of the Highborne…. a decade later.

So some of it is an artifact of the fact that High Elves were just still around in Vanilla. At the very beginning of World of Warcraft. They actually even talked about making them playable back then, but didn’t because Night Elves filled that role, mostly.

Wasn’t until the Horde needed some more playerbase that WoW’s lore got weird.

2 Likes

You wish. Haha. I’m just talking about the lore.

People want to play a High Elf. It has to look like a High Elf.

You have to compromise from that point of people wanting to play what they’ve observed in the game.

So when you refuse to let them be, “Thalassian” at all that isn’t a compromise. It’s just refusal.

They are what they are. If you try to change them from being what they are, then they aren’t what they are anymore. So they’re not what people are asking for.

That means you can negotiate things like, “Have a different model so you don’t look exactly like us.”

But you can’t negotiate, “We want you to look nothing like the thing you want.”

You’re just confusing compromise with getting exactly with what you want.

1 Like

One bad human scared them into the horde camp was their reason lol.

So humans never went into quel’thalas and never killed a bunch of the high elven people… but they went into the arms of the horde who did exactly that (although its not the doomhammer/gul’dan horde at that point) all over a human that put them in a tough situation and said some mean words to them…

but that boat has sailed, the blood elves are firmly in the Horde camp, beating their chests shouting lok’tar ogar and zug zug.

We have remnants, who are high elves, that are our allies, that could conceivably be an allied race… hmmm makes sense to me.

2 Likes

They named the team after him, that’s it. Please cite any evidence that he has any actually association with that group beyond that.

How am I wrong? Alliance High elves wear alliance clothes, do not speak High elven, do not wield high elven weapons or reside in High elven buildings. They’ve largely given up spellcasting according to the Encyclopedia, which was a pretty central theme to High elven society as it was built on their reverence on Arcane magic. If you’re going to call my comment “headcanon” you better actually point out what you’re referring to.

You know telling someone to “read” a book isn’t citing or backing up anything you’ve said as I’ve read both Shadow of the Sun and Highborne/chronicles.

Yeah? So please tell me where are all these High elves willing to fight for the Alliance in BfA? Why haven’t we seen even one squadron or unit playing any role in an assault, or military invasion? Why is every single race “except” for High elves present with Jaina in the Eternal palace, Kul’tiras and Zuldazar?

When you can start giving me answers beyond two nameless npcs on a boat I’ll begin taking you serious.

Doesn’t negate the fact that they are our allies. Just one step further, and they are playable.

3 Likes

No, but let’s not pretend that Blizzard isn’t intentionally leaving them out of an expansion heavily focused on the faction conflict for a reason either.

Neither of us know Blizzards real intentions of adding them in here or there. but they did add them in BFA… when they didnt have to, either its Class A trolling from the Dev team… or they like adding them for the sole purpose that they feel they are semi important to the alliance.

7 Likes

Why would they name an Alliance Team after an enemy agent?

Also, he’s on the Sunwell plateau to represent the High Elves and if you’re not an Elf, Romath gets in a fight with him. But he’s there because he’s part of the Quel’delar quest. Not that it’s not a neutral holy place anyways.

• Part 2: Largely given up spellcasting

They deploy a battalion of battle mages in Suramar, They make giant magical shields for warships, control portals, train mages, and infest the Stormwind Mage district.

Only the Quel’danil Lodge elves gave up using magic.

Your headcanon is the list of things you said about the Blood Elven culture. In your head you’ve convinced yourself they’ve just kept on trucking as High Elves. You need to read Blood of the Highborne, play some Warcraft 3 and realize that they’re pretty dramatically different because of the trauma of Arthas invasion. The Blood Knights and their ways being central to that.

and then there you are moving the goal posts about the amount of elves needed to matter. They don’t have to meet any arbitrary number set by you to be relevant. Roll an Alliance toon. go the mage district.

and then more goal posts there at the end. Have fun with that.

4 Likes

I was more hoping for in-game citation, because if we’re going to use developer commentary then Void Elves are “pretty much just another flavor of High Elf” – as in, biologically, they’re High Elves but they’ve got some, as you called them earlier, “anomalies”.

That isn’t an official source, unfortunately.

This is like a headcanon, within a headcanon, within a headcanon scenario. :man_shrugging:

And I agree that if the High Elves were altered, physiologically, then they will have become something different – but what I’m not clear on is why what Blizzard chooses to call them matters?

As for the VE situation, let’s be honest about them – they weren’t ever going to become integral to the narrative, nor are they likely to illicit warm feelings in long-time fans. If Blizzard wanted the Allied Races to be considered as unconditionally exceptional content, they would’ve ensured that each and every Allied Race was as seeded in the narrative as Dark Iron Dwarves were.

Vrykul, High Elves, Forest Trolls, Ogres.

We agree that they can utilize it, we disagree that they’ve got entire wings of their religious faith (Cult of the Forgotten Shadow) that utilize it routinely. In any case, somewhat irrelevant to Void Elves or High Elves at this point.

When I originally brought it up I intoned that a probable reason for Void Elves not drawing from the Sunwell was because it was suffused by the Light – and I compared their circumstance(s) to those the Forsaken, who also avoid the Light.

That there are a few outliers among the Forsaken who painstakingly wield the Light doesn’t really change anything about my original supposition – especially considering that going off of what we now know about the cosmological layout of the franchise, it’s quite likely that Void Elves would be even more averse to the Light than the Forsaken.

I’m an expert at whipping out the Warcraft Chronicle whenever I need it, that’s about it. :stuck_out_tongue:

It appears to be permanent on the individual, but doesn’t appear to affect their germline (i.e. they’re still, for all intents, biologically identical to Bronzebeard or Wildhammer Dwarves) – which means that with successive generations, the children of DID’s won’t have any of the traits we today associate with the DID’s.

Dagran Thaurissan II, who is half-Dark Iron, doesn’t have a single Dark Iron trait – he’s a great example of my point. This, coupled with the fact that it has been confirmed in at least three other instances (Orcs, Blood Elves, Worgen) that magically-induced changes to physiology ultimately fade away from generation to generation, implies an underlying pattern exists.

There are groups which aren’t demonstrably adhering to the pattern, but they’re also not currently subject to the criteria outlined for the pattern – namely, none of them have underwent generations without the magic that originally served as the catalyst for their change(s).

We haven’t seen any grouping of Night Elves that went for generations without a source of Arcane energy – it is entirely plausible that, under these circumstances, Night Elves would begin to give birth to Trolls.

We haven’t seen any grouping of Nightborne that went for generations without the Nightwell, or without a source of Arcane energy-- it’s entirely plausible that, under these circumstances, Nightborne would begin to give birth to Night Elves or even Trolls.

The HE’s / BE’s are legitimately an enigma – primarily because their history is so fuzzy on absolute details, relative to other groups. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if Blizzard fleshed this out at some point in the future and “soft retconned” a bunch of it.

It’s quite likely the Lightforged Draenei don’t give birth to Lighforged Draenei, but to completely standard Draenei – likewise for Void Elves.

Highmountain are a peculiar case, because their children are directly blessed by Cenarius, and so you can’t really get rid of their traits with breeding – but this certainly suggests that their traits are entirely magic-related, and in the absence of such a blessing, they’d be no different from standard Tauren.

The point being that all of these divergent groupings have something in common, and that is there changes being brought about by some magical catalyst – and if it is this common, it really shouldn’t sound far-fetched for someone to propose that magic (which has been the cause of basically all of the variable groups in the entirety of the franchise) might plausibly alter the HE’s from where they are now to something completely unique going forward.

IMHO, the Warcraft Chronicle isn’t as clear on this time period as it ought to be.

The implication is that they’re changing because they’re away from the Well of Eternity – but the tone of the passage suggests that this is the view of the High Elves themselves, and might not be being spoken as truth by an omnipotent third-party narrator.

I doubt it, but that’s probably more out of a collective hubris than any eye towards being taxonomically accurate.

As an aside, Dark Trolls for the Alliance. When?

Right, but they’re never referred to as a species.

2 Likes

And you have to compromise from the point that the majority of that race is already playable on the horde.

Just repeating this mantra about how the people opposed have to ‘compromise’ with your vision in such a manner as the other side loses everything they are worried about and the pro side gets almost everything they want.

I’m just telling you the truth.

People are asking for High Elves. People can observe High Elves in the game.

So you’re stuck in so far as how much you can change things. Because people know what they’re asking for. Change them too much and they won’t be satisfied.

That’s just the reality you have to deal with.

7 Likes