High Elf Allied Race Megathread (Continuation)

Haha yeah. We will never get along. There are two ARs I absolutely cant stand. Furries and Junkpilegnomes.

2 Likes

Was this the last thing said about High Elves? It didn’t really seem like an answer, but it is something, I guess.

1 Like

I understood what you said, and what you are saying is incorrect. I understand what you are trying to state, but it is incorrect. You are believing it is a simple matter of removing the old model, and giving it the same name as before to simply swap them.

This is not how it works in practice Drede. Even when you use a modified version, things still break because programming doesn’t work as you think it should.

For example, I made a new skin for an existing model I had in SL.
Ran it through the animations it has always had, aaaaaand suddenly the leg texture is completely messed up.
It is not a simple swap like you think it is even when you use a database, because the database still needs to slap everything together into one single piece, and then it needs to function smoothly.

If it was so easy, you’d have new worgen models by now, which by the way are still buggy on PTR.
Anyway, this is a pointless discussion, and you’re over simplifying this matter.

Long story short. High elves don’t work

I don’t recall her burning down Silvermoon, or any women and children burning to death or suffocating from smoke inhalation. In fact, as I recall, only the hostile ones died while the rest were locked in jail. How many prisoners did Sylvanas take?

8 Likes

If you play the horde side it shows that Jaina and Vareesa’s people were attacking civilians and shop keepers iirc.
You also stab a guy wh is trying to get money out of a bank to escape

1 Like

many innocent sunreaver citizens were killed or displaced because of her

when called ‘muderer’ she doesnt rebuke this

jaina even admits she has blood on her hands to thrall

1 Like

That’s not how it works at all and you keep missing the point.

They make a new model with all it’s animations and voice lines included.

Replace the old model or replace the model ID in the NPCs info and it loads that.

Done.

They don’t have to go to every NPC then change the model and then the animations and then change voices.

That’s simply not how it works in WoW and astounds me you have trouble understanding this.

5 Likes

Pardon, it isn’t a case of your lack of knowledge, it is a case in your lack of articulation.

You were suggesting it is a simple model switch previously. Clearly we are intending the same thing, just phrasing it differently.

You’re right that it isn’t as simple as Drede is making it sound, but he’s correct that each NPC is ascribed a preset series of numbers which correspond to specific appearance files.

It wouldn’t be easy, by any stretch, but “it would be too hard to make the NPC’s utilize the model, too” isn’t actually a good argument – considering almost every playable race, ever, has achieved this without much of an issue.

4 Likes

I mean if you are putting the Purge of Dalaran and the Burning of Teldrassil on the same ballpark, is it even believable you are trying to be unbiased lol?

This is not a case “Oh X did Y so what Z did doesn’t matter” but come on people, try to be cognizant of the freaking magnitude before saying this sort of thing.

Cause no matter how messed up Jaina and Vereesa’s actions were during the Purge, the whole of the Horde is still complicit of a War Crime in Teldrassil, so do y’all still wanna make the comparison?

There’s a reason why “Muh Taurajo” became a meme.

10 Likes

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Purge_of_Dalaran

“Though compliant Sunreavers were imprisoned, many proved defiant in the face of exile from Dalaran and took up arms against Jaina, the Alliance forces, and the Silver Covenant”

Also, that still doesn’t change the fact that Sylvanas had the night elves’ entire city burned to the ground, that countless innocent civilians died, and that her forces took zero prisoners; whereas most of the Sunreavers were arrested alive.

3 Likes

blood is blood. jaina is no innocent. that is my point

https://www.wowhead.com/npc=72498/theramore-citizen#screenshots

Tell them that.

(Yes, I’m done now.)

4 Likes

I mean, they changed the model of the Zandalari Trolls that used Darkspear Troll models Pre-BfA to the new ones and
 yeah, there wasn’t an issue.

Indeed, in WoW the animatons are baked to the model mostly, though there are some some animation files that exists on their own batches and get linked to the model and that have caused some issues from time to time (Like NB loading Tauren animtions during Beta)

But changing the model ID of an NPC? Yah, that’s relatively easy.

9 Likes

That is not what I was asserting, I was asserting there is no desire for them to do such a thing because there is no need.
The notion they would update the race, then go back and update every single one to now match the PC is a poor one.
Not all dark iron were updated.

Even then, the high elf race is defined by the fact it is the same race as the blood elves. It is what makes the discourse between them during MoP and WotLK more tangible. The same people, fighting over politics.

Furthermore, let us say they made such changes, such skin deep changes result in them staying on the same faction, not transferring over.

1 Like

Once Alliance High Elves become playable should there be an option for Horde Blood Elves to race/faction change? In the lore is it even possible for a Blood Elf to revert to a High Elf? They still have the green-tainted eyes from consuming fel magic, and we know from the orcs that this kind of transformation is permanent and even hereditary. This also explains why and Mag’har and mainstream orcs are distinct from each other.

I wouldnt say like a free one. They are still hostile towards each other. It was stated somewhere that High Elves join the Blood Elves if they are too mana starved. Like they need the extra source of mana and resort to the Blood Elf mana tapping. Thats really the fundamental difference between the two. I dont see why they cant go back but it would just be a faction change a person chooses to do via the store. High Elves wont get the golden or green eyes so its really a race/faction change.

2 Likes

I see what you’re saying.

It’s worth mentioning that whether or not this would be a big deal, or not, is entirely contingent upon the narrative circumstances that accompany any/all changes to the High Elves.

It would be quite odd for the High Elves to just randomly show up with different customization options, without any narrative justification, especially with numerous unchanged High Elves continuing to exist throughout the game – but it’d be decidedly less concerning to see unchanged High Elves throughout the game if there is a narrative justification for only a select group (i.e. the playable group) of High Elves being unique in their newfound customization(s).

1 Like

It is why i proposed high elves. Far more interesting IMO, and they would show an actual narrative that isn’t “we like team blue over red”

You mean half-elves, I presume?