High Elf Allied Race Megathread (Continuation)

Sorry Hyper - at this point I can only view this as unsupported conjecture. I’ve asked, and meant it seriously, for lore to support that because my initial question to Alamara was serious. I don’t know, but absent lore I’m not going to assume anyone else does either.

2 Likes

it was one of the anti helfers who informed me of the green eyes being from absorbing fel magic from fel crystals in silvermoon, passively. how do you think they got green eyes?

Mana tap is pretty clearly a technique that consists in siphoning magic violently from a source, extinguishing or, if the source is powerful enough, weakening it significantly. It’s causes a rush of power in the elf, and eliminates the symptoms of the addition for hours. But it also overcharges the elf, and eventually he needs to restrain himself and expel the excess power (Arcane Torrent).

Mana tap is an aggressive technique.violently.

High elves didn’t do mana tap. They, like all elves, just absorbed power passively by being in its vicinity. It’s not a technique, it’s not aggressive, they just bask in the ambient energies. Being near magic ameliorates symptons of withdrawal but does not remove them completely. It helped them endure the effects, made meditation easier.

There’s a reason why blood elves were compared to vampires. They literally sucked magic out of things. High elves refused to do that.

No! It just ameliorates the symptoms. I’ve compared it to nicotine stickers. You still feel the need to smoke, even with them. It’s just a boost to your willpower, but it depends on you practicing restraint.

If just being near magic was enough to fight the addiction, then mana tap wouldn’t be necessary and the schisms wouldn’t happen. Mana tap was a quicker fix. You suck magic and stay fine for hours. The high elf way required way more time and willpower, and the craving for magic was always there.

Blood elves chose what appeared to be the easier way. But mana tap leads to worse addiction, and your cravings would get worse over time, and its abuse led to become wretched.

Meanwhile, some high elves were able to survive through the addiction and get used to abstinence. But it was a harder path to go through.

10 Likes

Except for the fact that magic withdrawal wasn’t a situation of addiction like nicotine. It was a case of where the elf NEEDS that magical energy or they would be severely debilitated. This was why they relied heavily upon the farstriders to defend them after the fall of quel’thalas.
Prior to mana tapping, the other elves were too weak to be capable of fighting effectively. It was not a case where is a mage simply went cold turkey for a bit they would be cured of their addiction. If passive absorption was enough then they surely would have been able to retake it silvermoon without it, and they would not have needed to rely on the farstriders for defense.

Clearly, manatapping was a necessity at the very least, for those who were more magically inclined. This is supported by the fact Lor’themar would give his crystals to Liadrin because he did not need them, but she was suffering the effects more severely.
There are high elf mages, how were they able to cast any magic when they were not mana tapping, if blood elf mages needed to mana tap?

2 Likes

clearly you havent been in the vicinity of a niccy fit. haha

At first, yes, but like any addiction, you get used to abstinence the longer you go without the substance. It’s terrible at first, and most people can’t cope with it, but that does not last forever.

As the encyclopedia points out:

Such a low rate of attrition might be considered an argument in favor of simply forgoing magic and suffering through the consequences. Indeed, a few high elves are said to have succeeded in taking this route through sheer willpower: they survived the process, however unpleasant.

There’s a certain exageration there. Kael’thas’ Sunfury were a formidable force (confirmed by Chronicle) even before they learned how to mana tap. Sure, they weren’t as strong as they could be, but they were certainly capable of fighting, and were able to retake Dalaran. The entire TFT blood elf campaign, or most of it, happens before Illidan taught Kael’thas how to do it.

But, if you have a large population, it’s certainly way easier to give people a satisfying quick fix like Mana Tap than to tell everyone to fight through all the pain, cravings and weaknesses caused by withdrawal, with no certainty of success.

Or any other addictive drug.

8 Likes

The same way other races easily use magic without crippling addiction.

They’re not as strong with it as one would assume Elves would be since most of them are born with a “magic font” feeding them excess magic power, but that’s not to say they NEED that excess to continue living regular lives. It’s a case of "We thought we really needed it, but we actually didnt’.

You hear Blood Elves toss around “Birthright” a lot when talking about the Sunwell, they obviously believe they NEED the Sunwell to survive, as any addict would, even in the real world. But they’ve also never thought, “What if we tried living without it, as much as it would suck, and as much as we’re used to our infinity drug”.

They’re not walking rechargeable batteries, they shouldn’t need to be “plugged” in to live a normal life, like most other races in the Warcraft universe.

9 Likes

Yup, it is still time locked. We don’t know what’s there.

The encyclopedia also points out the old, weak, and the young would die from magical withdrawal symptoms.
It is also stated that while it was possible to survive the process, it also states such a thing could result in the individual being left severely physically and/or mentally damaged.

The notion that the thalassian elf race could go without it is a possibility, but the risks outweighed the benefits given the possibility of permanent damage through withdrawal symptoms. This is akin to taking opiates for 5 years then trying to go cold turkey.

Can it be done? Yes.
Are you probably going to suffer severe physical/mental damage? Most definitely.

Keep in mind, this time period the sunwell had only recently been exploded, and Kael’thas had three powerful magical artifacts with him supplying him power as did the others surely. The effects of withdrawal had not yet set in fully, since keep in mind, after those events Kael’thas was gone for several years before his return. Which is plenty of time for those magical withdrawal effects to increase in their severity.

Given Kael’thas concerns over the withdrawals, if it had been a viable option without severely debilitating the few of his people left alive it would surely have been done.

I couldn’t think of anything nice to say after reading this, so I’ll just chalk this one up to you not knowing better than to make assumptions of people.

Other magical races are not affected by magical addiction.

Wrong.
It is explicitly stated in lore that the magical requirement of the elven races is the same as breathing and eating. It is a necessity, not an addiction like nicotine. Furthermore, other races do not undergo magical withdrawal symptoms..

3 Likes

My point. Thank you bro.

Fascinating. Would love to see your link to that.

Other races don’t have magical withdrawal yet they cast magic just fine, you obviously don’t need an infinite font of magic energy to use magic without having to mana tap like Elves did because of their addiction to excess magic.

1 Like

The Lethargy of the Orcs after WC2 when they where cut off from Fel shows this is not the case.

1 Like

Yeah, not sure why they’d be Mana Tapping if this were the case.

1 Like

The Silver Covenant is a militant faction of the Kirin Tor. Led by the high elf Vereesa Windrunner, they reject the admission of blood elves into the Kirin Tor.

the SC is a part of dalaran and the kirin tor not the alliance of stormwind. theres a reason you cant cite anything that supports your claim and all evidence points to the contrary besides being able to earn rep with them during wrath(big deal) where their sole purpose is to assist the alliance in the exact same capacity as the sunreavers with the horde. that being said they are nothing but story tools blizzard uses to show the divide of the high people and is the only context they ever appear in. let alone their absence from ever fighting the horde openly outside of jainas kirin tor where they opposed the sunreavers on ilse of thunder. otherwise they would be free to be jainas entourage in BFA in the faction war

again you cant cite anything that says high elves never learned mana tap, just that they dont tap living things

blue eyed blood elves already exist and as golden eyes proved their eye color is mutable. if they get their eye colors back it will be when every race gets eye color customization which is something that blizzard has said they want to do

no one on the anti side has ever said this. what we tell you is what blizzard always has to remind you. that blood elves are high elves, therefore the high elves are already playable and giving that same race to the alliance would take away some of the uniqueness of the hordes faction identity and blur the faction boundaries too much. faction distinction is something they have told you matters

the only blood elves that consumed fel, became felblood elves along with kael himself. when the blood elves found out the true nature of all of this, they rebelled

i have no comment for this beyond referring to my previous comment on your fanfictions

finish the sentence

no high elves have decided to feed their hunger for arcane magic by draining that magic from alternative sources

draining that magic from alternative sources

## from alternative sources

# alternative sources

it doesnt say they didnt sate their withdrawal. it doesnt say they never learned to mana tap. it says they never drained magic from alternative sources. alternative sources like a living creature or being

1 Like

That wasn’t your point.
Your point: high elves can deal with magical addiction like other races.
Me: But other races don’t suffer magical addiction.

Sure, it is noted where the high elves were surprised at the fact human’s had a resistance to magical addiction back iiiiin, I believe the founding of Dalaran.

Or we can use logic.
In fact, if you look at every single race in the game. none of them have magical addiction, implying they are either immune, or unlike the elves, aren’t reliant on an outside force to supply them magic.

For your argument of elves to deal with addiction like everyone else, it would require another race having been addicted to magic, but there are no other races EXCEPT elves.

Have you ever considered elves are different from other races? :thinking:

2 Likes

Yup and we boss ganked them. I remember, they wasted a good character.

I haven’t been following your discussion, here, but you just cited someone saying the SC isn’t a part of the Alliance and then repeated what they said?

1 Like

wonder why high elves didnt benefit from being in the vicinity of moonwells. i know its mentioned in the rpg but thats considered non cannon. so whats the rationale for them not benefitting from moonwells?

1 Like

They did not have access to Mannoroth’s blood, and were intrinsically tied to it up until Thrall and Grommash killed him.

The only thing I can theorize is that it relates to what class you were.

Mage: You need to mana tap.
Ranger: Get away with just being around it even if a little uncomfortable.

That is supported by lore, so it may be due to that issue.

It was an accusatio of Alamara stating it was not true, hence the quotation. She did not quote the entirety of the post which caused misunderstanding.

They were no longer night elves.

2 Likes

so? it’s a magic font, radiating magic energy. if blood elves can benefit from holy power radiating from the sunwell, when it didnt before that (was arcane till arthas invaded), why wouldnt high elves benefit from magic energy radiating from moonwells?

what powers a moonwell? the leylines of quel’thalas power the arcane portion of the sunwell, riight?

1 Like

I believe in blood of the highborne it is stated all high elves, as a result of thousands of years being with the sunwell have been attuned to it, such that nothing else really compares.

I never understood why they didn’t go with the moonwell’s, it could have been an opportunity to be friends with the night elves, but there was bad blood there and Tyrande is a jerk.

Blessings of nature and the light of elune. I think

1 Like