High Elf Allied Race Megathread (Continuation)

Highvale would work nicely because then the antis can’t complain about stealing themes, since the nature theme is a Night Elf thing. Kind of like giving the urban-themed Nightborne to the Horde because of the urban-themed Blood Elves.

So why not make a naturey version of High Elves that is more culturally similar to Night Elves than Blood Elves, in much the same way as Nightborne and Blood Elves?

11 Likes

Poor Rhonin, he never managed to get Vereesa suck mana from his staff.

:man_shrugging:t2:

3 Likes

This is what I like most of the Highvale Elves - they’re quite into nature, not like Night Elves, though. To me, they pursuit the balance between civilization and nature.

The problem with Highvale Elves is the Mage class. If playable High Elves are to be only Highvale Elves, then they wouldn’t be able to be Mages… :thinking:

4 Likes

But maybe shamans and druids?

I think I could accept no mages if they got shamans tbh. Lightning caster High Elves sounds really cool to me!

Maybe they deal with arcane withdrawal by turning to the elements for guidance.

3 Likes

I found the perfect example of a High Elf shaman :wink::

2 Likes

As in the High elves that aren’t ranked among the Alleria’s forces.

There’s nothing to suggesting that siphoning magic is harmful or unhealthy though? At least not anywhere I’ve seen. It’s no different than drawing from the Sunwell.

Sorry but these analogies don’t work when you haven’t properly explained why “siphoning” is somehow worse or more unhealthy than simply absorbing magic through proximity, especially when both forms are potent enough to fight magic addiction.

The nature-theme is most certainly Thalassian, at least in regards to the Highvale take on it. Have you seen Alleria? She is quite literally green, and covered in ornate gold armor. Farstriders are the most in-touch with nature and closest to their High elven roots out of all elves according to the encyclopedia as well.

Well the Farstriders aren’t a Blood Elf only thing, they are also found among the High Elves:

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Farstrider_Lodge
https://wow.gamepedia.com/Vyrin_Swiftwind

2 Likes

I know youre an opponent to High Elves, but would you be ok with them if there was a sort of race trade off?

Hello. I’m sorry to interrupt the main topic of the Megathread. I have just recently made a Second High Elf Discord for those who want not only Playable High Elves but also a place to chat about Warcraft Related Topics. I didn’t made the Discord against the Main One. I made it because I want to grow a community of folks within the WoW Community who not only want just the playable Quel’dorei but also Broken, Wildhammer and etc. Invite is right here: https://discord.gg/YsP5Ne
Of course if you don’t want High Elves playable. I understand. I would greatly appreciate it if you join ether way. But if not. again I understand.

Thank you taking the time to read this post and I look forward in talking with good people of the WoW Community and always have a good day.

1 Like

Isn’t it confirmed that the Silver Covenant, presumed to be the largest congregation of Alliance-aligned HE’s in existence, were all utilizing various magical objects to satiate their addiction?

That was sort of the point of them domiciling in Dalaran, a city built atop the leylines, was it not?

4 Likes

comparing wow high elves to everquest high elves

the way everquest dealt with high elves was they put them in the same zone and faction as wood elves, a dark wooded zone called greater feydark. the zone was infested with different types of feyfolk, like fairies and brownies, but also orcs, wolves, skeletons, hostile outlaws, and various other creatures like giant wasps, giant bats and moderately large spiders. the whole zone was a thick forest with no bodies of water, except in the high elf city.

their city had lots of flowering vines and moss, covering rock built structures with marble construction for important class halls. the doors of their buildings were either wooden and creaked when you opened them, suggesting age, or were magical and slid open. typically the shops had the wooden doors and the class halls all had magical sliding doors. they had waterfalls and pools of water insiide the city. it was a nice blend of nature and civilization.

the wood elves actually resided in a huge tree city with rope bridges connecting one wooden platform to another, suspended a few hundred feet up in the air. was a pretty cool city and they did a good job on it considering it was made prior to 1999.

high elves and wood elves were drastically different in class availability. high elves were paladins, clerics, enchanters, magicians and wizards, whereas wood elves were rangers, druids, rogues, bards and warriors. this meant the high elf had more intellect and the wood elf had more wisdom, two different stats that determined the size of their mana pools.

high elves were meant to be the equivalent of the wow blood elf, but they were taller and a bit meatier than blood elves and hadnt fallen from grace, as it were. even though they had more weight and were taller than a belf, they were weak and made terrible paladins.

high elf starting stats made them ideal for only 3 of their class options, all casters, with one in particular being the best - the enchanter. by far, the high elf’s most important stat was charisma. even though they had larger intellects than wood elves, they were not the smartest race in the game. that distinction went to the erudite race, which is a different topic.

anyway, high elf charisma made them good at selling, buying and mind control. they got discounts for things they bought from a vendor and larger sell prices for things they sold to vendors. it was essentially the equivalent of wow human rep bonus. this charisma also meant they could mind control monsters and use them as pets like a mage pet or hunter pet, though not a permament situation as eventually the mind control would randomly break.

appearance wise, the high elf was pale, tall, blonde, white or red hair, with blue eyes, with several faces to choose from. their hair style was a pony tail. their starter gear was essentially something akin to a belly dancer, and they were well dressed compared to some of the other females. wood elves started off in an one piece bathing suit, half elves started off in a g-string, dark elves started off in a bikini, erudites started off in a negligee etc.

i’ve fast forwarded this so you can see a high elf in character creation for everquest

summary: while they had okay wisdom, meaning affinity to nature, they had better intellect, meaning affinity to other magics. as a result they couldnt be shamans, druids or variants of those like rangers or beastmasters. they were, however, closer to nature than say a dark elf, so had more wisdom as a starting stat, a fact that made them decent clerics, eq’s premiere healers, who used wisdom as their mana pool determiner.

1 Like

Can you cite this information? Because I’ve never seen anything regarding High elves using magical objects to sate their addiction, especially not the Silver Covenant, but I would certainly be interested in reading this.

One High elf does not represent an entire demographic, especially when most of the said-high elves have moved on from these cultural traditions.

I’m not an “opponent” to High elves, as much as it might surprise you I want playable High elves just as much as anyone else here, and if I felt the best chance to get them was on the Alliance I’d be rooting right next to you guys, (And I was for a short while) but after learning Blizzard’s stance on the matter, and the amount of people protesting the idea I feel as if it’s not likely to ever come to pass, which is why I push for them on the horde, because I feel like its the only feasible way I’ll ever get to play them.

A race trade off? Elaborate.

i always thought this as well. there is no mention of the SC elves prior to the restoration of the sunwell because they didnt exist. they are also dalaran aligned high elves, other wise they would be free to break the neutrality of dalaran. something they have had every opportunity to do, but continue to put dalaran first

i remember reading something somewhere once where vereesa had a particularly difficult time dealing with her peoples affliction. rhonin had to make a special necklace for her that he could recharge, but i dont cite it because i could never find it again

still TBC crusade concept of blood elves has been resolved and is no longer relevant

the whole point of asking for playable alliance high elves is they dont want to play the horde. they are against the high elf people being reunited proving it actually is all about the light skin, because even if they were horde aligned they would still be their ‘alliance high elves’ lore wise

1 Like

its about human skin. you think light skin is the only color of human skin color?

3 Likes

It made the addiction worse and its abuse led the elves who couldn’t control their urges to become wretched. Chronicle volume 3 states this clearly, and I bet some kind soul will quote it here for me.

These analogies are totally accurate because elven magic addiction was always a paralel to real world addiction. The wretched are even like crack addicts that live only for their fix.

4 Likes

you still didnt answer softsongs question of how siphoning magic is ‘less harmful or healthy’ from an object

the only difference is a mana wyrm is consumed in the process and you are still sating your addiction

High elves didn’t siphon magic. They just sought its presence.

5 Likes

what do you think being in ‘its presence’ implies and only the lodge elves are up in the air with how they coped. how did quel’lithien deal with an object in ‘their presence’