High Elf Allied Race Megathread (Continuation)

I, for one, have hated every single alliance race outside of void elves and nightborne. Void elves had such huge potential, same for nightborne. It is a shame the design of nightborne came up short, and the entirety of void elves came up short.

I want NEW races.
Give me some Serpent people.
GIVE.ME.MURLOCS

1 Like

Still, why centaur? I mean poop on its own is WoW themed, it’s a thing. I’m not joking - look it up.

I’m glad you understood that if Mechagnomes should not be a problem for Alliance players, then High Elves will not as well.

7 Likes

Not at all. I’m actually quite the loser and won’t deny it. It just helps my already terrible mental health to just ignore some people.

6 Likes

Yes yes! Thank you for this! Quel’thalas shines once again!

7 Likes

Unfortunately, you did. You stated “Respect has to be earned not given.”, which implies an individual has to do something to EARN something from you. This is a poor philosophy, and is actually one which contributes to the draconic practices in the workplace. I digress, in terms of respect, it is something that is freely given because the individual is another human being. To give respect is to understand and accept all that they are, because they are human.
This is why it is said for one to LOSE respect rather than have it taken from you.

How so? The most the individual has done has simply said “I disagree with your view and here is why.”.
Now YOU have stated “that isn’t enough, I don’t respect you.”.
Do you not see the conundrum you create in such actions?

“You’re not my mom.”.
Yeah, you’re right, but I am going to call you out on it when you act in a way that is poor.

“Don’t tell me what to do.”
“This is who you shouldn’t talk to by the way based on how I feel about them.”

1 Like

So you hate the new races (except the sneks) and want the good ol’ murloc? What you feel about the old murlocs is what we feel about us fans who played since warcraft 2 with the high elves. It’s been here forever and it’s past time.

7 Likes

That is ignoring context Arch.
Mechagnomes are going to the alliance.
Gnomes are an alliance race.
Blood elves are on the horde.
You want high elves for the alliance.

That is a very different request, especially because the alliance have void elves already.

Dude, you seem to misunderstand something. I understand how you feel, I disagree with your views on the issue as a result of how you feel. Murlocs, as much as I want to play them, aren’t playable.
High elves are playable through their politically differing brethren, blood elves. It really is not the same comparison even if the feelings are the same. Context is very important.

Hell, I was all for high elves until void elves were implemented

She was not talking about Horde players though:

Also, High Elves are inside the Alliance since Vanilla, they sharing the same model of Blood Elves is something that can, and should be, fixed, and that’s all.

6 Likes

They don’t have to earn something from me Specifically. If I see you being nice to other people on the forums you have my respect.

I’m sorry?

I hardly care about your views. I care about how you treat other people. You’re dismissive nature leads me to believe that the only opinion that matters is yours, and thus lost my mutual respect.

Feelings are irrelevant. Actions are what matters.

7 Likes

Why does the introduction of void elves dismantle your feelings for High Elves? Do you think Blizzard is so limited that they can’t do both?

7 Likes

Implying they need to be “fixed” implies there was a problem. Clearly there hasn’t been though because those models have never been changed. It isn’t like Sylvanas whose placeholder was a night elf Arch.

Everyone is nice at some point Blood. Everyone also gets snippy at some point. Should they not have your respect simply based on this standard human practice?

I went off on a tangent. Sorry, getting back into scholarly stuff so I tend to just relate it to my field.

If this was true, then you would not have cited that the individual’s views were the reason you disliked them. “They know nothing of high elf lore.”. Interpretation of lore is important.

I have been described as many things, dismissive is not one of them which implies to me that is how you FEEL I have behaved, and not actually so. Particularly considering how I respond to every point. Thus, this issue is an internal one, and one you should challenge.

Respect is a feeling as well, however, and thus you place yourself in a contradiction. Furthermore, you are giving reasons why you feel towards a person and then telling someone else to avoid them. That is just stirring drama, and you should own up to it, not facilitate it then decry others for how they appear to you.

Dismantling feelings implies I do not still feel that way. It simply gives me a reason to understand that despite what I “feel”; which you said doesn’t matter by the way; there is a reason why I cannot have what I may desire.
Void elves has introduced a story of playable thalassian elves that were not previously available before. As such, there is little reason to follow after the high elf storyline because there is little that can be added to it.

They are a people who have estranged themselves from their kin purely because of their desire to ally with humans. Such a storyline is very constricting, primarily because while they may ally with humans, they are still thalassian elves who hold onto their old culture. The only difference is, they wear blue.

1 Like

Humm, now tell me an NPC race that became playable after WoW was released without any changes compared to their previous models.

Blood Elves also used the Night Elf models back in Vanilla. Blizzard doesn’t waste resources making NPC’s race unique if there’s a close race they can use, they will.

High Elves just need few adjustments, like some of the fan concepts, to make them work like the Nightborne does compared to Night Elves currently. If Nightborne can work as a Horde Allied Race so does the High Elves as an Alliance Race.

10 Likes

In Warcraft 3, they used the same models.
In Vanilla they used the same modified Night Elf models.
In TBC, they used the same new models.
In WoD, they used the same updated HD models.

Wow, I wonder why Blizzard has gone out of its way to keep updating an unplayable Elf race to keep up with Blood Elves, oh wait, it’s because they are the same race and, for this game, always will be.

There is nothing to “fix” here. This is, and always has been, working as intended.

Model changes are an arbitrary modification for the Pro High Elf camp to force change and invent differences where there are little to none. If you have to modify a High Elf to make it so different that it’s visually distinct from a Blood Elf, whatever you end up with cannot be called a High Elf.

You have now made something new, and purely fan-fictional.

4 Likes

Kindly reminder that Zandalari Trolls looked exactly the same as Darkspear Trolls up until BFA.

The trolls you kill in Thunder Isle and in MoP raids? Zandalari.

EDIT:

In case you don’t get it:

If Zandalari Trolls’ model was updated out of nowhere, the never-left-Alliance High Elves’ model can also be updated.

For like the tenth time: as devs say, no reason whatsoever is needed for a model update - they update models only because they like to. First comes the idea of a new model, then they make up some lore excuse to back it up, not backwards. Lore is not rigid, untouchable or immutable. If it were, we wouldn’t have Nightborne to start with (Suramar was allegedely a sunken city).

15 Likes

I understand this. It’s why I’m not ignoring you. I wouldn’t be telling people to ignore someone because of a recent experience. I’m telling people to ignore someone like Frye because she has consistently demonstrated that she doesn’t care about modern lore and everything about high elves should be exlusive only to blood elves.

I was actually hoping you would explain that one to me. I questioned you because I didn’t understand, not because you went off tagant.

Lore is black and white. WoW’s lore may look grey, but that is an illusion given off because of constant retcons and redo’s. For example if I showed you a recent interview about X you will show me an outdated interview about x and claim that yours is what matters. They are a couple of people that do this in these forums.

So you claim “na-uh” because someone hasn’t told you? I may be wrong about you being dismissive but I know you have lingered on these helf megathreads because you don’t want people to play has high elves. Most antis are dismissive and are here because they think they can break us.

So what if it stirs up drama? You can’t expect everyone to get along. Feelings are a result of actions, if I see you do bad things, I will feel bad towards you. It’s that simple.

This isn’t about the model. The only one who cares about the model are the antis. This about adding a race that has been with the alliance since Warcraft 2. This is about nostalgia.

For me personally they don’t have to expand more on the lore in the future. Just give them a reason to become playable and be done with it.

8 Likes

If you think the Zandalari in Throne of Thunder looked like Darkspear trolls, as you say, until BFA, I can 100% say you either did not do that raid at all, or don’t know what a Darkspear troll looks like.

2 Likes

I checked and you are right - they used a different model. I however do remember a part in the raid with many big trolls who are supposed to be Zandalari and look exactly like Darkspear Trolls. Going to check that again

6 Likes

Maybe because they’re close? I haven’t said they aren’t, and Elves in general always looked like the closest playable elf race, back in Vanilla every elf used the Night Elf model because they were the only elf model available. So, until High Elves became playable using their own custom model they’ll keep using the Blood Elf model as a placeholder, like any other race that resembles another that’s currently playable.

• Half-Elves either use the Human model or the Blood Elf model, both playable.
  • Garona is a Half-Orc that is currently using the Orc model with zero Draenei resemblance, but she is Half Draenei.
  • Dark Iron used a normal black skinned Brozenbeard Dwarf model before becoming playable, just look how they’re now.
  • Blood Elves used the Night Elf model before becoming playable as well.
8 Likes

You just mistyped the exact point, but here’s what a Zandalari looked like in Vanilla, exactly like a Darkspear Troll:

1,383 votes and 101 comments so far on Reddit

Woah, do I have trust 3 now? Or is reddit just an allowed website? :scream:

10 Likes