High Elf Allied Race Megathread (Continuation)

Naga can work based on a similar mechanic of Nagas turning into Scaly Night Elves I saw in a concept thread Like Worgens.

One of the main reasons I dislike LF is the same reason I dislike the idea of high elves.
Take away the idea of putting them in full armour.
You see one next to the other and you would say they are completely the same.
That they just chose different at the character creation screen.

Thats why I hate LF and HM.
They are not different.
They are completely the same race.

Iā€™m guessing Blizz will whip out the next batch of allied races as promotion for 9.0, probably popular picks at that. Weā€™ll see what the future brings

Broken were such a missed opportunityā€¦ the rep was there and everything lol. They probably didnā€™t have enough time to make a female model, so reskinned LF Draenei was the next best thing

7 Likes

Iā€™ve tried that idea before but people argued you would have to change the lore around them which is true :stuck_out_tongue:

ā€œHey I heard you like Draenei, so we put more Draenei in your Draeneiā€

9 Likes

I see no reason something couldnā€™t be made to justify a worgen like change for Nagas.

butā€¦ butā€¦ we gave you new horns and some light markings that any transmog will cover up.
Is completely new.

1 Like

I agree with that, yeah. I mean blizzard said allied races arenā€™t sub races but a lot of them really feel like they are. LFD, highmountain, magā€™har, mechagnomes if we end up getting those, etc.

Iā€™m actually okay with void elves because it was a new model for alliance players that we previously never had access to. Same goes for Zandalari and nightborne on horde side.

Yeah it was a big missed opportunity imo. LFD are pretty unpopular probably because there isnā€™t anything new there really, broken wouldā€™ve changed things up a bit, made the alliance as a whole a bit more visually distinct. Weā€™ve also had them in the game for years so everyone mostly knows what they are and what happened to them. On top of all that we gained rep specifically for them on argus lol. I guess yeah they probably didnā€™t have time for a female model or something.

Iā€™d hope that them loosening up the transmog restrictions means it wonā€™t matter as much. I donā€™t think the players wanting these races really care that much about how armor looks on them.

Itā€™s kind of like playing a Void Elf with a helmet on, defeats the purpose of showcasing their unique hairstyles. People obviously do it, but the option is at least there.

7 Likes

Broken would have been completely awesome. Brought a story to an end. And made the alliance feel different.
Instead we got the same race with a tat on their head.

3 Likes

I really hope so too. It might be niche but I feel like thereā€™s probably a lot of people that would roll a Sethrak or Naga even if it meant gear doesnā€™t show up or has to be hidden.

I mean we have races in the game that donā€™t look good with certain armor pieces such as Chest for Kulā€™tiran or most helmets for taurens. You even have undeads that have half their armor not showing because of bones and stuff.

Someone did a droolworthy mock up of what playable naga could be. Iā€™d play them. High elves are at the very top of my wish list though. It wouldnā€™t bother me if other things came first, though I do think it would be wise of blizzard to announce them sooner rather than later. I think they have more of a following than a lot of the other races just listed.

But Iā€™m not enthusiastic about any allied races added so far outside of nightborne and zandalari. I am not really into the horde at the moment either so unlocking zandalari and leveling my nightborneā€¦well itā€™s not happening at the moment.

I will play dark iron when I unlock them, but I am not that into void elves thematically, and I am not super into lf draenei because they should have just been customization for regular draenei. So Iā€™d really love for there to be an allied race Iā€™d really want to unlock and then level a bunch of.

7 Likes

My problem with High Elves is that if you take away the loreā€¦ It feels like a tat on the head.
They would look and feel the same just with 1 difference which I have seen many people argue to even be an optional feature.

It wouldnā€™t bring anything new to the game to me, just take away a reason to play the horde.

Considering some of my favorite armor is locked to Horde Colors, I still have plenty of reasons to play Horde.

Red is my favorite color.

Orange is mine :stuck_out_tongue:

I think there are a lot of blood elf players who genuinely enjoy being on the horde, and would stay put even if high elves were added. If I liked the horde story more at the moment, Iā€™d be playing my belfs, and if high elves were added in Iā€™d make high elf characters rather than faction changing. Iā€™d only faction change the belf characters I have that would fit better as a high elf.

Actually even with my dislike for the horde story, I might end up making more high elves than I faction changed. I have serious altitis though. For high elves, Iā€™d probably need to buy another account.

11 Likes

If dropping an infernal on an Orc Village is not a good thing I have no idea what isā€¦ Joking of course ā€¦

6 Likes

Burn them all.

5 Likes

The solution to this is to give High Elves a new model, or physically alter the thalassian model (essentially giving them the Nightborne treatment). New idle stances, combat animations, body proportions and customization options would go a long way in keeping Blood Elves unique and making High Elves feel new

But some feel as though theyā€™d need lore justification for a new/altered model. I disagree since Kul Tirans are just big humans despite them using the standard human model all the way up until BfA, but we do have some options

The following is just headcanon, obviously. These are just helpful suggestions

Half Elves. Since High Elves have lived among humans for thousands of years, it wouldnā€™t be weird if there suddenly was an up and coming generation of Half Elves ready to make a name/place for themselves in the world. Being descendants of the Alliance High Elves, theyā€™d likely be loyal to the Alliance

or

High Elves , having been exiled from Silvermoon, have generally undergone physical changes from being so far from home. As Silvermoon is a place fueled by magic, where constructs patrol the streets and magical household equipment perform your everyday chores, High Elves, having no such luxury, have had to adapt and get their hands dirty more than the typical thalassian elf. As a result they could be physically bulkier than the average Blood Elf, and their new animations reflect the fact that theyā€™ve been assimilated into human culture

Someone also suggested ways in which the High Elves in Outland could be physically different, although I admit I canā€™t recall how he described it. It was pretty neat and believable though

Those of us in the Pro High Elf camp genuinely (and generally) want to work to ensure that we donā€™t take anything from the Blood Elves :slight_smile:

11 Likes