Healing in WoW - Spell Bloat - Addons

The standard raid frames have incorporated many of the popular addon features over the years and are quite good.

I just use that with mouseover macros.

3 Likes

Yeah, your just a

I use no healing add-ons and have healed just fine these past 15 years.

Mouseover macros.

There’s super easy to set up and even easier to use.

Just say it, a lunatic Thicc Daddy.

1 Like

I do use vudho for healing because I prefer it, but I can tell you that it is certainly not required by any stretch of the imagination.

We had one of our top dps (who uses the default ui) respec to heals for giggles one raid, and he did fine clicking raid frames and pressing keys to heal.

For reference, we are an aotc guild. Yes, the content was on farm and he didn’t top the meters, but he parsed above 50 which is more than acceptable for heroic nyalotha.

The thing about is this: clicking a raid frame and then pressing a button to heal literally doubles ones actions needed in order to throughput healing when compared to using a click-only addon. While this seems strictly worse (which it is) it doesn’t actually matter because at no point is one’s Gcd so fast that requiring twice as many actions will have any affect on performance.

Is it a good idea to get a healing addon and use it if you want to? Of course. Is it mandatory? No. Will a healer who uses an addon outperform someone who doesn’t just by using the addon? No.

I am confident that I could parse just as well using no addons as I can with vudho, even if I could go back in time to 8.3 when I had 80% haste on my rdruid. I use it because it is convienent, thats it.

Dunno if I am logged onto my druid, but for reference I was a 91.6 percentile resto druid prior to prepatch (its a little wonky now).

Messing with the UI on the Beta I started tinkering with mouseover and help/harm strings. I cant tell if I like them yet. Probably because I’m a clicker at heart

The only difference between clicking on the frame and using an addon is that that addons tend to favor Mouse Over mechanics, rather than click-to-target mechanics.

When I used to heal, (using Vuhdo) I spent most of my time focused on the party frames only really paying attention to the play field when Bad was expected to be plopped on the ground, or when someone dimmed out and moved out of range.

Macros can fix the click-to-target vs the mouse-over-to-target.

But, the point is that the fundamental UI gives you the access you need.

I prefer mouse-over, myself.

Thats a terrible, slow, definitely casual way to heal lol. You AT LEAST need mouseover binds for frames.

The minimum you should have is some raid frames with indicators, like grid2 or whatever so you know who is afflicted with what spell, bleed, curse, etc, and keybinds for all of your heals to land on the raid frame you have your mouse over.

Point here is that if someone gets a curse on them that does 120% of their health unless healed, you need to heal them, you can’t go clicking around like a madman and hoping to find the person with the quickly depleting health pool. Doesn’t work like that.

Target mouseovers I never used, like mousing over a player on the screen rather than their frame, but I was never a healer for very long.

I heal on 2 characters on end game content with stock UI and details, and dbm obviously everyone uses dbm

1 Like

Yea you can use the stock pop-out frames but you are getting SEVERELY less information from them than if you used another dedicated healing raid frame addon.

I don’t get the difference, if one is better than the other, use it.

And also, @focus for the tank is awesome for m+, u dont even have to do anything but hit 1 button and it automatically targets your tank

1 Like

Your bar is still too high. Addons are not necessary, and neither are mouseover macros. I know a lot of healers like mouseover macros but I have played without them for 10+ years and it doesn’t matter at all. You have the entire spell cast, or at minimum the GCD to target a new person and queue up your spell. I have absolutely no clue why people would think healing addons are necessary. Mouseovers can definitely be easier/helpful to people, but I was already used to clicking raid frames by time I learned about mouseover macros that they were awkward for me to use. So I just want to put it out there, NO HEALING ADDONS OR MOUSEOVER MACROS ARE NECESSARY IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM. Knowing your class/spec is the only requirement.

I just use mouseover macros when I heal, my UI is pretty simple overall, nothing like healbot. Just Dominos and EasyFrames for the most part.

Default raid frames show all of those things
mouseover macros are NOT necessary. You have your entire spellcast or at least the GCD to target a new person and queue up your heal. No addons necessary.

Again, in a fast paced movement fight in high level raids, this is a ridiculous strategy.

Anytime I see a healer clicking on someone to heal them I immediately know the kind of content they have done. Meaning basically nothing difficult.

4 Likes

There is literally not a single difference from mouseover or no mouseover other than a click

I’ve never used a healing add on and do just fine. I do use mouse over macros, however. Those are great.

I’ve never used one of the mouse-over addons, but you can also just macro them.

What healer uses 15 spells regularly? Most have 5-6 core healing abilities and then a lot of situational utility.

Okay, so this is going to sound dumb but I just don’t get it. How do mouseover macros make me faster?

I’m not trying to argue they don’t, they just feel really awkward for me to use and I can’t really figure out if it’s worth forcing myself to get used to them.

1 Like

They don’t.

Anything new feels awkward and takes some time to getting use to it. Once you get used to it, it saves half a second here half a second there. It turns out to be a LOT of time in total for a fight. If humans never tried to optimize because it felt weird at first, we would still be physically writing and mailing letters instead of emailing.