HCT LXVI Less Stable Slots NOW!

Now it’s off to Desolace to finish off that set before I start in on leather and plate sets.

Also, why do guilds die when I join them?

So! I’ve coined nicknames for my toons that are easy to sign in sign language. It made my Dad do a double-take the other day before he started laughing. :wink:

So, the thing is: there’s no exact translation of the English words “retail” and “classic.” There are multiple signs that reflects the multiple meaning, but some of those translations require multiple signs.

SO, I had three options.

Option A: translate into sign language and call retail-Watermist “main game BFA Watermist” and call classic-Watermist “side game old world Watermist.”

Option B: fingerspell the English words, which is time consuming and uncomfortable. “R-e-t-a-i-l Watermist” and “c-l-a-s-s-i-c Watermist.”

Option C: come up with nicknames. Retail Watermist would be called “big Watermist” and classic Watermist would be called “little Watermist.”

So, I chose to go with option C. And yesterday, Dad and I were driving home from church when Dad said he wanted to play Classic. I said, “Sure! Little Watermist just hit Crossroads and I’m thinking —“

That’s when Dad cut me off. “What? Little Watermist? Huh?”

That’s when I explained my thinking to him “Oh, that’s easy! Big Watermist is the level 120 in BFA, and little Watermist is…”

“…your level 13 in Classic. Gotcha.” Then Dad laughed for two minutes.

Do you guys name your classic toons after your retail toons? If yes, do you give them nicknames to separate them?

EDIT: I forgot an important detail. I don’t actually sign “Watermist,” I sign “cow.” So they’re “big cow” and “little cow.” :rofl:

2 Likes

Personally I’d do option B since that is the best way for my ignorant butt to do it, though I might shortsign an R for Retail and a C for Classic.

hahahahahaha

Perhaps. Didn’t you mention having some kind of disability in your hands?

It’s been my experience and observation that fingerspelling is the hardest thing for new signers to learn. (And to DO.)

I suspect you’d have an easier time with either option A or C, primarily because they avoid fingerspelling.

3 Likes

Yes, some of my fingers are slave to each other (when one moves, so does the other) and I have other dexterity issues.

I know more of the Alphabet than I do actual words in ASL. A lot words I do know are against the CoC to type out.

2 Likes

“Swole” Yjjial and “Smol” Yjjial

There’s a reason I rock a shirtless transmog these days.

Interesting. How does “little cow” sign differently from “calf”. I only ask because, say, in German for example, there isn’t a word for “puppy”, but rather they add the suffix “chen” denoting “small” to the German word for dog, “Hund”, giving the word “Hündchen” which literally translates to “little dog”.

1 Like

Generally, when it comes to baby animals (calf, foal, puppy, kitten, etc), we modify the sign by adding “baby.”

So, literally, a calf is a “cow baby” in sign language. Or a puppy is a “dog baby,” and a kitten is a “cat baby.”

You should get the idea by now.

It’s not a “simplistic gesture” thing, but an actual linguistic feature, similar to that German suffix thing you mentioned.

The ONLY exception to that baby animal rule is lamb.

For lamb, we sign “sheep offer-from-heart” (in a way that indicates sacrifice. It’s a sign that originated from churches).

Edit: with “big/little cow,” I was using something linguists call ‘classifiers.’ It’s an unique feature of sign language which allows signers to modify either verbs or nouns. So the way I signed it, the most accurate translation would be “big/little cow.”

But if you sign “bird baby,” an interpreter would immediately translate that into “hatchling.”

2 Likes

Slight correction. I spoke with a German and learned of the word “Welpe” to describe puppy, which is probably the origin of the word “Whelp”.

It’s a shame I’m so slow to learn languages because I love learning of connections between them. That said, this is one of the reasons I love returning to this thread. I learn so many neat things.

As for classifiers, it feels similar to how German monster nouns are created.
There’s a joke about this, if I may, but I’m not sure how much of the humor is lost when put to text, I’m afraid.

In my best summation, it starts talking about a rhubarb pie made by a woman named Barbara called “Rhubarbara”. They keep on tacking additional factors to it’s name and you get the fustercluck that are the compound nouns towards the end of this joke.

https://www.germanwithantrim.com/post/rhabarberbarbara/

1 Like

Most of the English Language comes from Germanic Saxons and Angles so it’s very possible that Welpe and Whelp are related.

1 Like

Oh there are TONS more.

And then there are the German-specific words that I adore.

“das Handy” - the cellphone
“der Waschbär” - the raccoon (Literally:" Wash-bear" because of how they wash their food)
“der Fledermaus” - the bat (Literally: “Fluttering mouse”)
“der Schmetterling” - the butterfly (Literally: “Shattering thing”)

Oh, and of course “Backpfeifengesicht” which means “slap-able face”.

1 Like

It’s ya boi levelin’ up the hard way.

1 Like

Gratz, I’m about to go to bed, I’m a little sick from the heat of the day, and I have to go out to OKC very early in the morning.

1 Like

I was powerfully confused for a hard second thinking you meant “OK Cupid”.
Ciao, dude.

1 Like

It’d have been worse if I just said the City.

I’m just glad that I ain’t going to Tulsa. It’s going down hill faster than OKC is, probably Dallas as well.

1 Like

Meanwhile I’m in Ohio.
Everyone craps on it, but I have some of the best buying power with what I earn here.

Funnily enough, it turns out that most of my guild (that I joined only last tier) lives in Michigan. I could feasibly meet WoW friends for once irl. (Though I’d be down to have a beer/tea/coffee/belly shot with anyone in this thread)

1 Like

Aww. There’s a Childhood Cancer Awareness Month thing in Warframe. They gave everyone a free gold ribbon cosmetic item.

https://imgur.com/a/wtuhSUV
1 Like

Yes, to avoid confusion entirely I refer to my classic toon as Bepples and my BFA toon as :b:epples.

Depends. English is a West Germanic language so the core of the language does come from the Angles and Saxons but in terms of raw vocabulary most of it is from Latin, either directly or through French (most of them are through French).

But because the core language is Anglo-Saxon most of the words in normal text/conversation will be native.

1 Like

A good rule of thumb is that the bulk of the short words are Germanic, Land is one such example.

I’m crying.

1 Like