Having sharding in classic will destroy this franchise

Show me where I said that “they intend to shard everything”.

I have said that, IMO, in the absence of clearly defined, definitive limits, they are leaving that option open. Having the option does not necessarily indicate intent to use that option.

Even Lore’s use of a phrase amounting to “especially in the early days” (not necessarily a direct quote) would seem to me to indicate that Blizzard wants to leave themselves the option to shard well beyond any heretofore implied limits.

Or, you could interpret it as the early days of the launch (the first few days) where it will be most useful over the first few weeks.

1 Like

If he did that, he wouldn’t be able to argue for the sake of arguing.

Which is his entire purpose on this forum.

2 Likes

Okay, how the hell is explicitly saying places like Valley of Trails and Elwynn not clear enough? Are you that dense? What do these two have in common? I’ll help you. They’re starting zones.

Further, chronologically speaking…they said the first few weeks. Do you know what a week is? It’s 7 days. A few? used to emphasize how small a number of people or things is.

If you think a few weeks of sharding in starting zones is going to kill classic, I implore you to either (A) don’t play at all or (B) play a month after launch. Nobody will miss you.

I bet you’re fun at parties.

3 Likes

Then with the need for the qualifier of “especially”?

If they did not intend to leave the option for extended sharding open, Lore could just as easily said “the deadly days” or even something more definite, such as “only in the first three weeks”.

Launch day is going to be probably the most crowded the starter zones are going to be.
Of all the times that crowding will need to be alleviated, it will be ESPECIALLY useful to have a method in those first few days to alleviate the traffic.

Do you see how the word especially works in describing there?

1 Like

No. They are NOT starting zones.

Valley of Trials is a 1-6 starting AREA. Elwynn is a 1-10 starting ZONE.

Ion could not even be consistent with his implied geographical limits. Or, are you telling us all that one of the leading devs doesn’t know that Elwynn is equivalent to Durotar, NOT the Valley of Trials which is equivalent to Northshire Abbey.

Exactly how many is a few? Is it 4? Is it 5? Is it 6? How is few even close to clearly defined?

The definition of few is “A small number”. A small number compared to what, though?

Considering that Classic could be around for ten years or 500 weeks, even 24 weeks is less than 10% of 500 weeks. I would not call almost 6 months a few weeks, even if that is less than 10% of 5 years.

The starting area is where players start after creating their characters. Each starting area is unique to the playable race players have chosen.

Alliance

Horde

source: https://classic-wow.fandom.com/wiki/Starting_area

It’s like argueing with my 12 year old niece. Byeeeeeee

Day 1

Day 2

Day 3

Bur.

You are correct that those are the starting zones. Those zones are divided into areas.

Where in Dun Morogh do dwarves and gnomes start? Coldridge Valley.

Where in Elwynn do humans start? Northshire Abbey.

Where in Teldrassil do night elves start? Shadowglen.

Where in Durotar do orcs and trolls start? The Valley of Trials.

Where in Tirisfal Glades to the undead start? Deathknell.

Where in Mulgore do tauren start? Red Cloud Mesa.

Congratulations on addressing 2 of 3 points and misrepresenting the argument.

The order or severity from highest to lowest:

Sharding at high levels.
Long Queues at Launch
Sharding at launch.

Your fallacy is Strawman.

1 Like

Gosh I love poking at people that love the sound of their own voice. They make forums with crazy titles like these stay right at the top of the viewing lists :smile:

You’re still arguing with him?

Haven’t you learned to ignore the king of fear-mongering yet?

He has little of value to say, and only posts to stir the pot. He’s one of those “I won’t play Classic if…” people, who really doesn’t seem to want Classic anyway.

He’s one of those that claims not to trust Blizzard, but plans to give them money anyway.

You really should learn to ignore his trolling and move on.

Protip: Sharding in the early days won’t kill the franchise. Especially since General chat is zone-wide, and is unaffected by sharding, so people can look for groups to their hearts’ content.

Okay so you’re hung up about whether or not sharding is in 1-6 or 1-10…got it.

No.

I am pointing out that Ion was not even consistent with his vaguely implied limits. One “example” was a 1-6 “area” and the other was a 1-10 zone.

I do not believe sharding is a necessary evil, but in the event Blizzard decides to use sharding, I absolutely do not EVER want to see sharding used outside of the 1-10 zones or beyond the first three weeks maximum. Outside the 1-10 zones includes the capitol cities, IMO.

Blizzard actually setting CLEARLY DEFINED, DEFINITIVE limits for sharding would go a long way toward setting my mind, and likely the minds of many others, at ease.

1 Like

He’s convinced that Blizzard “refuses” to define a limit, because they’re secretly intending to shard everything.

2 Likes

Does anyone actually have evidence that the servers they will use for classic can’t handle pop overload anyway? In my experience during vanilla, bc, early days when people were running in masses I never experienced a server crash. I wasn’t playing classic on its launch so I did not see those if they were a thing. For legion release, wod release, and bfa I had server que times longer than 24h during most of the first few days, rendering me unable to play (bc I would try to log in at 5-6pm, and still be in que when I needed to get to bed). These expansions use sharding, it didn’t help with que times. Yes I know that not every server had a que time, I played on a high pop pvp server and enjoyed it so que time wasn’t an issue for me as it was worth waiting it out. What is solid evidence that sharding actually helps, though? Is there a ping ratio that someone has noticed or what?

It’s not whether or not the servers can handle the amount of players, it’s whether or not the launch experience will be suboptimal / poor due to over population in the early starting zones.

Take for example a store like Target. Yes, it can legally hold A LOT of people. Would you consider your shopping experience even remotely okay if the store was 100% completely full? The anwser is probably no. I know I wouldn’t.

The entire purpose of early, first few weeks sharding is to reduce the overpopulation in small, congested areas. The analogy here is, what if temporarily they opened up multiple Targets just for the rush of black friday. With the understanding that they would be shutdown after black friday.

It goes even further, because Blizzard says it would be in a limited way, meaning it wouldn’t even apply to the whole store…just a small portion of the store.

Anways, that’s the best analogy I can come up with for what sharding experience we’ll be seeing.

EDIT: Just to clarify. Never in the history of WoW have they had to scale for the number of people trying WoW on a relatively small amount of servers. There’s going to be (1) veterans (2) newcomers (3) current subscribers who want to try it. Since the launch of Vanilla, there has yet to be this kind of hype for a new WoW release that didn’t already involve a ton of servers to handle the traffic.

1 Like

We’ll be fine with sharding. I look forward to actually playing. not spending hours in Elwynn trying to tag a wolf.

1 Like

pve player?