Having sharding in classic will destroy this franchise

The entire reason for people wanting classic wow is to void the game of all the broken, immersion ruining experiences that have been constantly added to the game starting sometime during litch king. Sharding is the worst offender of them all. Hundreds of thousands of people that start playing on classic when it releases will immediately log off and never repay for a wow sub again the second that they see any sort of phasing take place during their experience. You will lose significantly less players due to server crashes and restarts than seeing a phase mechanic while they are playing blizzard.

80 Likes

I don’t know what to say. If you’re that offended by blizz trying to make the launch as smooth as possible for the player base then you’re being selfish and have issues.

They have explicitly explained that sharding is only going to be for the starting zones.

Also, didn’t need to make another post about a beaten to death topic.

51 Likes

Thank you for contributing an original idea to a topic never discussed before!

/s

18 Likes

Sharding is a horrible idea for classic but if you look at BFA its a theme park of horrible game features so… dont have a lot of faith in blizzard at this point.

36 Likes

While i have no proof, listening to Ion talk about it i think it will just be for lower levels zones at the start. I -highly- doubt you will be experiencing this where it will really matter.

In short, your immersion won’t be ruined, and it won’t destroy anything.

6 Likes

No, they have not.

Go back and watch that Q & A with Ion and listen to what he actually says, and not just what you want to hear.

He NEVER actually set ANY definitive geographical or time limits. He used vague terms and sort of implied that there might be limits, but that is the extent of what he said.

Blizzard has yet to set ANY definitive limits for sharding, either geographical or chronological.

35 Likes

Nobody is offended here, that is just exactly what will happen. Send me a message when you stop playing after you get phased during some classic world pvp lol.

5 Likes

I don’t trust them with the “it will only be at launch” thing. Launch isn’t the only time the servers will be stressed.

23 Likes

If it’s limited to the level 1-5 areas, no big deal. If it’s happening in areas like Darkshore or Westfall, it’ll be game crushing.

22 Likes

He didn’t confirm sharding, he said it was something they were looking into, as a temp solution to the initial flood of players that may not play long term.

2 Likes

I understand that a lot of people are emotionally attached to this game. I also understand how people have lost faith in a gaming company that used to have their customer’s interests at heart. I also understand that sharding destroys the barrier of playing on a single server.

I am in no way advocating for sharding. I too want to enjoy the community that vanilla created and nurtured due to the lack of cross realm implementations aside from BG’s.

It was my understanding that it was stated that sharding would only be for the launch and only be for starting zones. If I’m wrong then that’s my bad.

4 Likes

If the first week or so being far smoother and not having 10,000 player queues will destroy Classic, we’re already sunk.

8 Likes

Until you find a shred of evidence that it’s more than just the starters and only at launch, maybe have a little faith.

4 Likes

I said I don’t trust them. I don’t need to wait until I’m either proven right or wrong to not trust them.

I have no reason to assume they won’t turn on sharding for Hillsbrad, STV, Searing Gorge, Silithus and other zones that are going to be unstable during new content phases.

10 Likes

and I said have a little faith? I wasn’t saying you don’t trust them. I was saying maybe try to for a bit.

1 Like

Honestly when you get right down to it your right.

They didn’t give a definitive anything. And seeing as how sharding was in the demo it seems pretty clear it was a preplanned statement to make as soon as the topic was brought up.

What was said if looked at positively seems like they understand how much of big deal sharding in classic would and will be.

The only problem with no definitive answer is that all the negatives that people could think of hold weight no matter how much the other side quotes “we know sharding is antithetical to classic…”

It’s the biggest unknown left that could derail the whole project so I’d hope they know a little is already going a long way in a negative way.

If sharding was ever long term the servers wouldn’t even need it for the amount of people who wouldn’t mind it.

9 Likes

By the time we roll around to opening the gates or the scourge invasion, server populations will have normalized around their caps and tourists gone.

If the pop cap stays Vanilla (it f-ing should) then we won’t see issues as servers and the general internet can handle it a lot easier than in the past.

So long as pop caps remain Vanilla, I don’t think we will see problems. If a couple of private servers running on a potato today developed like a couple of tortilla chips glued together can handle extreme loads without dunking then I’m sure we will be fine in the long run. There won’t be a need for sharding.

Again - if server caps remain Vanilla.

3 Likes

I have faith about a lot of things with Classic, but no sharding after launch just isn’t one of them.

8 Likes

Yea like with CRZ, many people thought it would be used in older content only. But then:

And so with sharding. If it activates automatically based on population then the potential for it happening won’t go away. And when they say “only at launch” it might be translated as “based on our population predictions we expect sharding only in early zones at launch…”

3 Likes

My advice to the people who don’t want sharding on launch and want the authentic vanilla experience. On launch day open your launcher and stare at it all day, now you have the authentic vanilla experience.

9 Likes