Has Wow Abandoned Casual Players

I have friends I run with. Been playing for a long time, since TBC. The spirit of the game is so much different. People will walk over top of you to get where they want to go, and if a mistake is made, those people will say something toxic, abusive, unhinged etc instead of leaving quietly. Pugging into high keys, if one doesn’t time, you see some completely abusive, toxic and unhinged behavior. Even in content that has no timer, people act like savages.

11 Likes

That’s a people issue everywhere, and irrelevant if you stick to your friends group.

Bonus, it’s easier than ever with cross-faction guilds, communities, and discord to find those chill folks to group up with.

Yeah, I have my crew of people. M+ changed the culture of the game though vs before its implementation and the quality of people you pug into has got worse by the expansion. There were still some bad apples before M+, but they were far fewer, or at least quieter about it. Everything in the game these days has to be executed flawlessly and zoom zoomed now and if it isn’t, get ready for some toxic fireworks.

10 Likes

I don’t know why I even bother to give my input.

2 Likes

I find this really funny when they just released an 8 boss 5 man instance that, in my opinion, hits all of the marks you’re looking for. It is fun and challenging and not on a timer.

1 Like

they dont hate casual players, but they see casuals as pigs or completely worthless parasites.

they are designing the game to be JUST hard enough that if you REALLY try as a casual you can do m+, but if you are slightly, kinda lazy you wont make it… and since you are SO CLOSE to making it but JUST out ofreach, you are more likely to buy boosts to shore up missing score, which you can really only get via buying tokens since they are systematically destroying anything that holds wealth or allows the buildup of wealth outside of botting, which they are also banning.

this is why we have regional ah, this is why we have bot friendly profs that are designed to tank the price of goods thisis why guilds are neglected, no que systems for mythic plus, etc etc etc.

its a design choice.

6 Likes

This.

The game is almost 20 years old.

Most casuals would have moved on by now, and they simply have.

Casuals don’t often invest heavily into games, they play what’s new and have fun for a while, then move onto to the next thing.

The people that are still around today, are WoW fans, simple as that.

The remainder are pretty hardcore players, and will likely be here anyway, so Blizzard is going to catering more to them, like with the mega-dungeon.

Casual stuff does exist, it’s just not the focus anymore, since casuals aren’t likely to stick with an aging game in the first place.

1 Like

I got 99 problems but stockholm syndrome ain’t one.

1 Like

the vast majority of casuals i know used to be CE or raided heavily previously. casual casuals probably left this game long long time ago.

2 Likes

Absolutely absurd. Anyone can do some casual keys at any level if they bother to find 4 people who want to do the same. And considering how many complaints there are about people wanting chill runs, that should be no problem.

1 Like

Yes. It is very possible to just go in and not care about your level of performance, or only play on a limited timeframe.

If you choose to stick in outdoor content, what you won’t get is BiS, which is what causes some posters to post that wow is “casual unfriendly”

1 Like

I watched the video, and it made some interesting points about how many things new players need to learn to engage in end game content. But I think WoW has always been like that.

I started in Wrath and it was already like that. You did heroics in whatever gear, then if you dared to think about going into the raid, even with your guild, you better gemmed and enchanted everything, and grinded reps for that, and had your hit cap and expertise cap reached, and you better have DBM installed. And it wasn’t instated by Blizzard. It was all player gated.

The difference is that back then the game was relatively new, and for many people, the end game wasn’t yet the goal. Whereas right now end game is positioned as very much the goal of the game.

The only thing Blizzard can try to do is to protect and encourage players . Maybe by giving a buff to raid gear drops if there is a player in the raid who hasn’t killed the bosses yet. So that it’s not a shameful thing to admit, but actually a beneficial thing.

There is also a lot of artificial friction in the end game as well. Walking and rebuffing, timer, key depletion, etc etc. That contributes to players being impatient and intolerant. That all can be removed.

I am also massively against timers and key depletion in M+. I feel like the only people who want that are super achievers who want to jump 3 keys up, or get multiple chests. But overall it hurts the atmosphere of these M+ runs. Maybe there could be a toggle to have it for those who want it. Like a risk/reward kind of thing - time it and win, or deplete the key.

So yeah - TL;DR - endgame has always been inaccessible, gated by players themselves, and so blizzard needs to remove friction/bribe players to tolerate newbies better.

6 Likes

While it is true dungeons, specifically mythic dungeons, require a certain level of skill…nothing WoW is doing now is worse or different from what WoW did back then. The experience is largely the same. Rose tinted glasses will make you think it’s different, until you actually play Classic and realize what you remember and what actually happened doesn’t line up. I would argue that current WoW is the best form of WoW we have ever seen.

2 Likes

Sheesh your posts come across as so elitist. Your comment history pretty much back this up.

I’m glad I don’t get my self-worth as a person from a silly video game.

Yeah, it feels like Wrath (one of the best expansions) mixed together with Cataclysm (dragons and elements were the primary theme).

I’ll be real- Dragon-riding is probably the best thing I’ve personally seen in WoW, since the addition of original “fat-boy flying” (it was originally 60% speed in the air, lmao) back in TBC, lol.

It’s something for both casuals and everyone else alike.

I want to see more stuff like it going forward, and I certainly think we will, given the success. They’re adding it to the older world, after all.

It’s great.

1 Like

I totally agree

1 Like

This is a chicken or the egg argument. I contend that there are fewer casual players because anything of substance for them has been removed or watered down to the point of no longer being worth logging in.

7 Likes

It’s moving towards more casual friendly play, still plenty of work for them to do on that yet though.

2 Likes

Or we dip in here and there.

There are worse things to spend say $45 for 3 months of sub knowing its jsut 3 months.

I personally touch up chars to changes, meander casually and go back to SP-ish games on whims.

When I say go play other, probably SP, games its not be a cold elitist MMO player. its…what I do too lol.

2 Likes

I am as casual as it gets and have played this game for 13 years, with two accounts and multiples of every class. Disneyflight is the least I have ever played since the four month break I took during Cata and I just cancelled my second account. The casual stuff that exists in the game now is shallow, unrewarding and not fun.

5 Likes