Has it ever occurred to Blizz that some of us WANT an overpopulated mega-server?

If its only going to be temporary anyway I would of wanted to see that launch rush, it would of been like an event…

You think you do, but you don’t. Seriously it would be awful…

I don’t think you understand.

The server hardware itself can’t handle over-population without constant crashes and slide-show lagging.

The queues are to prevent everyone from jumping on at the same time and crashing the whole server or making it unplayable.

Not to mention - there are probably ZERO retail gaming PCs that could handle displaying thousands of players at the same time in a single field of view even IF a server could handle thousands of them.

Tbh i like being on a highly populated server.

If layering gets shut off and we have 5-10k players on a server that sounds awesome to me.

The only people that really care and complain about high pop are selfish players that roll low pop servers so they can gather all the herbs and mines without competition.

Everytime a player whines about populated servers it always comes back to their greed, they wont come out and say that’s why but probe enough youll find that’s the reason.

They are aware that 90% of the time that players want something, it turns out that it was actually the worse thing for them and it ruins the game.

2 Likes

Lots of people in this thread seem utterly baffled that other opinions and preferences exist lol.

Sounds like you are salty you will have a que to play on said “better” server.

Queues will last 1 week max.

They are only a during launch when everyone is trying to log in at the exact same time, once people go back to their normal lives it will be fine.

Why are people so dumb?
Get over it.

Only took them 15 years to figure out.

Except no…

letting more players in at launch but creating an unsustainable situation down the line, with severe queues when we turn off layering permanently before Phase 2 of our content unlock plan.

From a blue post.

Didnt happen with wod wont happen with classic.

Once again, when people go back to their lives and jobs it will be fine.

They said the caps are going to be much higher than in vanilla, so i think they will be in that range

“We’ve removed layering!”

“Yay!”

“Btw queue now after more than 5k online”

“Wtf”

1 Like

I’ve played on Northdale quite a bit so I know what he’s talking about in regards to what he’s used to there.
Unless his definition of “megaserver” is something more like the kind of thing that ESO runs, I think I do get his point. I understand that under the layering system, he won’t see the numbers of people he wants. I also understand that once that layering is turned off, he’ll have himself a proper high-pop server like he wants.

If I am missing something along the way here, please clue me in.

1 Like

how much is some? all 5 of you?

That is a stretch, warlords of draenor had 6k queues at launch and within a week the queues were gone.

If you think there will be queues 3 months after launch your wrong.

They specifically said you will have queues on launch day, not when layering is turned off.

Seems people don’t understand you only get queues on launch day, once launch week is over the population is spread thinner, people go back to work, people stop logging on daily, people stop doing 16 hours grinds and smart having smaller sessions.

1 Like

Here’s a preview of what just a couple thousand players in the same zone at the same time looks like, without any layering:

A laggy, server-crashing slide-show. Like 5 FPS.

Using a 2005 video as a reference point when we all played on potatoes with 500mb of ram and had major server limitations isn’t really a fair comparison.

Opening day of BFA looked busier than that and we were all running aound with 120 fps no problem.

All the doomsday prophets ITT are reaching so hard.

I would ideally like the population to be as high as the server can possibly handle. We know from private server experience that its possible to run a 15k pop server, and i would imagine Blizz servers would have no problem with that.

My main argument is that they have the capability to run at 15k, but would rather have 10k people in queue while only 5k people play. That makes absolutely no sense, especially to people that enjoy that high pop like myself.

If you account for hardware and player cap inflation, you’re probably going to see the same exact issues in 2019 that you saw in this video.