Guilds and Communities need a Member Limit Increase + Other Fixes

So, another relatively short topic for me, as I’m reminded about this as I log in and see that one community I’m a part of is almost at its limit again. I did touch on this in another thread here, but I feel it’s worth it’s own thread just because I’d like to see other people’s thoughts on it.

I understand the reason behind a limit. However, surely, in 2022, we’re capable of having more than 1,000 members in a guild or community.

In my guild, I have 27 toons. This means I take up 2.7% of the guild’s roster. By myself. Which is silly. On my Horde, when I played it in BFA for a bit, I ended up kicked from a guild that billed themselves as casual, after 2 years in it because they needed to make room for raiders. Literally the reason they gave me. The guild I joined after that advertised being “like family”? I got kicked after a month of inactivity, which I warned them about, because Shadowlands came out and I wanted to focus on my Alliance, but they needed the precious space.

The hunter community I’m a part of and somehow ended up one of the moderators of? We’ve been capped at 1,000 for over a year. I attempted to create a battle.net community for us to continue growing, but it hasn’t really taken off. The gaymer community I’m apart of? The mods had to go through and kick everyone under a certain level at one point because they got sick of no new people being able to enter.

A big part of the issue with communities is we have no way to track how long it’s been since someone has been online. Unlike the guild, which has a “Last Online” feature - there’s no such feature for communities. So the only real way to even gauge activity is to either force members to put it in their note, which most people won’t, or to kick people who aren’t level capped - which isn’t fair to people who don’t have Shadowlands, or play at their own pace.

Another part of the issue is that for some reason, the limit is character-specific, not account-specific.

1,000 Accounts would be somewhat reasonable. But 1,000 characters? Not so much. Since every person is capable of having 50 characters in one account, 20 people could take up the entire roster of a guild by themselves.

So, can we please get an increase on these limits, and some updates to the community UI that the guild UI has, such as the Last Online feature?

There’s also a post on General Discussion that has amassed almost 5,000 replies since the Guild UI revamp that touches on things that people feel are missing from the new UI or need to be fixed asap that a lot of people feel have been ignored. (The post is almost 4 years old, to give you an idea)

24 Likes

So, I asked the people in that thread to summarize the thoughts, and I’d post them here, as even though Guild/Community control is important for me, I don’t know much about it, as I try my best to stay out of leadership roles. If you check the later replies in that thread, they have a more robust explanation than I’m going to post. I’m hoping to consolidate so as to not overwhelm the devs who read this with feedback. I will be quoting parts of it so I don’t feel like I’m stealing their feedback.

When the Guild UI was updated, it essentially turned permissions into one of two things: Guild Officer and Not Guild Officer. There is no longer a way to fine tune permissions to create unique roles in the guild. Pictures were provided in the thread to give you an idea of exactly how much was consolidated and agency taken away:

As you can see, if you want to let people edit public notes, you must also give them every other officer permission. If you want to retain officer chat to only the main officers? You can’t. Etc.

Walkerbo detailed how he was able to fine tune the guild roles to how he needed them to be before the update:

I highly recommend the devs take a look through the thread if they have time, but if you don’t have the spare time, these seem to be the main take-aways. If there’s more the people in that thread wish for you to know, I’ll gladly post it here. I think a big part of the Community Council is making sure the community is also heard, as a lot of the time, I can’t put into words the things that I want to say, but other people can.

13 Likes

Just want to bring this back up even though it’s been almost a year (don’t want to make a new thread just about it, and yes, it hurts me to bump a year old thread, but gotta do what you gotta do), due to the announcement of Cross Faction Guilds.

We are severely in need of a Guild/Community limit increase, even if you make it simply 1000 accounts, rather than 1000 characters.

We are having issues staying under the cap with one faction, how do you expect us to manage when we add another faction into the mix?

Communities are also in DIRE need of a “Last Online” option, as well as an option to take over ownership from an inactive leader, much like the guild system. We have no way to prune inactive members in Communities right now, nor do we have any way to save a community if the leader quits. This shouldn’t happen.

8 Likes

I am 100% on board with this. I am also a member of a community that could seriously use a cap increase. Let’s hope this comes about sooner rather than later.

1 Like

How much increase do you suggest?
Does the OP regularly play all 24 toons? Impressive. I can hardly manage 2-3.
Even 1000 is already huge. How are you going to get to know all the members?

1 Like