Guildie got AH scammed, threatening to unsub and delete her account

It is for this very reason, along with my poor impulse control, that I keep most my gold on a piggybank character. My main/AHalt will never have more than 300 gold unless they’re planning to buy something big, or just sold something big.

2000+ gold is a lot to lose, I try to never put myself in a situation where I even could lose that much at once without taking multiple explicit steps.

1 Like

I think that’s just the disconnect we are having here. In my head this isn’t deceiving because it’s clearly listed in front of you. But for others, it obviously isn’t the “intended” price of the item so it’s deceiving.

4 Likes

This whole thread sums up promoting self victimization and stupidity.

4 Likes

Nothing was done wrong here. Your friend made a mistake and is throwing a fit. It sucks but nothing was done wrong.

I accidentally have auto complete on my quests so my marks of honor get sucked up if I click the quest. oops

I should be more careful.

2 Likes

I agree that scams are trying to deceive people, I just don’t think a clearly labeled item on a page that requires multiple confirmations is deceit. There is no fine print. Noone forcing you to buy an item in 3 seconds. Noone yelling at you causing undue stress.

5 Likes

I’ve always, always bought things slowly off the AH to ensure I’ve checking the prices closely. We’ve all seen the attempted buyout traps from people trying to trick you. Don’t be in a hurry, double check every item you buy.

You can also use an addon or something but I’ve been fine by just paying attention. Usually the scam prices aren’t 2500. I think they generally are 100 - 1000g because people are more likely to not notice and because often buyers don’t even have 2500g on them at the time.

2 Likes

They disallowed the use of personal ads after a bill was passed back in 2018. It was basically a way of cover-all in response to US Congress bill HR 1865.

Reddit was also affected by this.

Meh.

The game would be a lot better if we took them out to the woodshed.

Back in The Good Old Days™ a GM would have fixed this situation 'cuz they didn’t treat the game like a Darwinian free-for-all.

2 Likes

your entire post promotes DN

1 Like

That’s not a scam, the buyer didn’t notice the price so the fault is with her. You can probably report the bragging though, but the act itself was not a scam. Costly mistake but that’s what it was.

1 Like

she traded at the agreed upon price.

4 Likes

Or common sense

1 Like

tomato tomato. It’s a dishonest practice, such a shame you have no integrity or morals.

2 Likes

You’re referring to the FOSTA-SESTA act which, ostensibly, is designed to end sex trafficking. It shut down personal ads, like, “call me for a good time” personal ads, and “hey, I would like to meet a nice person for coffee” personal.

We can still advertise stuff for sale on Craigslist.

I mean, you can check it for yourself on your local Craigslist in ten seconds.

4 Likes

That’s uhhh not getting scammed.

3 Likes

Nothing was dishonest? He didnt meet her open the trade window say the potions are worth 2.5k and she can check the AH. He posted it in the AH were it clearly shows 5g Bid 2.5k buyout.

1 Like

Its certainly dishonest. It’s not necessarily illegal or banworthy, but it’s quite obviously fraudulent

4 Likes

Scammed or not, it’s scummy and shouldn’t be allowed.

I’m saddened by the lack of empathy in this thread.

And people have the gall to call me a troll.

2 Likes

I can agree to that

Your a cute gnome though :flushed: