Guildie got AH scammed, threatening to unsub and delete her account

Someone posted a stack of healing potion injectors for a bid of 5g and a buyout of 2500g. My guildie accidentally bought the auction and lost almost all her gold which she was saving for her epic mount.

It’s a shame Blizzard won’t do anything to help her. The player who scammed her openly brags about it too in LFG chat.

33 Likes

what server is this?
wow that sucks…I’d be super mad too

3 Likes

nothing to do about the scam itself but the LFG bragging can probably be reported as harassment

33 Likes

Okay? Pretty easy to not fall for that.

36 Likes

I got scammed for 800g, and it stings man. The AH is unnecessarily susceptible to scamming as is direct trade.

I disagree with blizzard’s hands-off approach to scams on the AH and trade. Countermeasures and deterrent can and should be put in place.

31 Likes

its not a scam she didn’t notice the buy out price. the blame is on the buyer.

122 Likes

It’s a scam, plain and simple. It’s real unfortunate that she fell for it.

Let this be a lesson to you…the person reading this, not the OP…that ANYone can fall for a scam. The more immune you think you are, the more likely you won’t pay attention and will become another victim. So always stay vigilent, always double check. Never assume you are safe.

21 Likes

It’s not a scam, the numbers are clearly visible. The only problem is the buyer not reading them.

72 Likes

This goes both ways though. In early WotLK I found a 20x stack of scarlet rubies that someone had mistakenly posted for 50g, bought it and instantly flipped it to a guild for like 2k ish gold, went and bought my epic flying mount (which I wasn’t able to afford in tbc because I was like 11 or 12 and lacked maturity).

8 Likes

scam
/skam/
noun
a dishonest scheme; a fraud

Seems pretty dishonest to me

19 Likes

I believe I’ve heard her crying while standing on top of Aldors rise…

6 Likes

that sir is called sniping

6 Likes

If you let people trick people out of many hours of gold in any other game than wow, the person would end up banned. Blizzard just doesnt want to pay for GMs to monitor this kind of stuff. This is a scam and while I will never fall for it I do at times wish for retails AH because of it.

7 Likes

Not even a scam. He posted an item on the AH for a price, and she paid for it.

I know that it sucks to fall for that. But these kind of posts are all over the AH, so you really need to pay attention.

29 Likes

I was the youngest sniper alive in ironforge that day… have you seen my film Enemy at the Gates?

6 Likes

use an AH addon and it will sort it by buyout price regardless of what the bid price is.

4 Likes

exactly… rarely will you ever buy something off the front page, you need to go several pages in to find the normal auctions. thankfully i don’t have this problem since i’m on a small tight knit server and there’s only a few pages of normal auctions

Thing is people know right from wrong, and you’re a scumbag that tolerates dishonesty. Shame on you, time to grow up. You reap what you sow, and will get what you put out in the world.

21 Likes

I don’t even have to read the comments here to know people are saying you can’t get scammed since she had to accept the sale.

The reality is she did get scammed. The person posted something for a low fee so it was sorted to be seen near the top of the list, with a huge buyout way above market value to snag unattentative players. It’s a shady albeit legally acceptable tactic to prey on naive people.

However that being said it’s a free market and Blizzard doesn’t play judge, jury, and executioner on these kinds of things. Get an AH addon and the worst you can do is buy something at market price in a bigger stack than you meant to (which I’ve done a few times and then resold for roughly the same price).

9 Likes

Dont AH without protection, us an AH addon every single time.

13 Likes