Guildie got AH scammed, threatening to unsub and delete her account

No, I’m suggesting they start ordering the auctions based on the buyout price, not the bid price. are you against that change, or no?

What about the part when the game PUTS THE PRICE in the accept window when you confirm to buyout the item?

1 Like

Sometimes I get stuck at work or with friends. This isn’t college where I had nearly unlimited play time.

I am a “professional” now…. Lol… seriously though, I do usually cancel them, but a few have slipped through.

I don’t care what they do, there will still be idiots out there clicking “buy now” without reading.

1 Like

<3

And here I disagree, simply because value is entirely fluid. My hunk-o-junk car is certainly worth something given that it runs and doesn’t explode when I drive it, and I can certainly find various insurance-based and other market values to put an actual price tag on that car. However, at the end of the day, the value of my car is whatever someone is willing to pay for it, so I really just don’t get calling someone selling something at a marked up value as enough justification to call them a scammer.

Buying overpriced junk, paying way too much for food and souvenirs, etc, make us feel like we’re getting ripped off, especially when I can walk outside of the theme park and get a hotdog that’s twice as big, much tastier, and for a fraction of the cost. However, I’m now having to decide to walk out there to get it or pay out the nose to get one that’s right in front of me. I make that choice. That isn’t a scam.

I get that the AH never warns you explicitly that beyond the AH NPCs lies a market filled with a lot of stuff you don’t want, some stuff you do, and none of the prices have any bearing on anything, so buyer beware. But that is what the AH is. It is an absolutely cut-throat free market and it is no more a scam to constantly undercut people by a copper so you can get listed first than it is to dramatically overprice your goods, because both are done in the hopes someone buys it.

These are matters of equity not defense. The difference is sometimes subtle because ultimately you just want off the hook, but defenses will outright cancel the charge, whereas arguments of equity will POTENTIALLY cancel the charge, or lessen it, or soften the sentencing. Equity blunts the edge of the knife, defense takes the knife away entirely, if successful.

Necessity means you had some overarching duty that mandated performance (in this case driving) that could not wait for you to sober up. The problem here, and why it isn’t a defense, is that all of these duties would either preclude drinking in the first place or have reasonable alternatives that wouldn’t require you to break the law (and thus no duty to drive while under the influence). That’s why you can’t excuse yourself to rush your buddy to the hospital after he’s been beat up badly in a barroom brawl when you’re drunk.

Choice of Evils, similar to Necessity, means that if you didn’t drive drunk some other, greater crime would occur. Outside of some duress-oriented Hollywood scenario, I don’t see anything even remotely falling under this circumstance and I question any jurisdiction deciding to go ahead and charge the kidnapped getaway driver with a DUI. Plus, all elements of a crime are kind of hard to prove (read: nigh impossible) when the intent elements are all junked up with “Crazy man put a gun to my head” kinds of scenarios. That renders the State rather impotent in trying to charge you in the first place if they can’t prove every element.

Bad assumptions lead to bad experiences, this is a buyer problem, not a vendor problem.

So if someone orders it the wrong way, or doesn’t bother to order things at all, purchases something quickly after searching, and feels they overpaid… were they still scammed?

3 Likes

Why would they when add on developers have already done it for them? It already exists and it cost them nothing.

1 Like

because not everyone uses AH addons, and this very simple change would drastically reduce the amount of people falling for this scam.

…so is it a scam because X number of people “fall for it” or because an item is simply listed really high?

1 Like

Get one?? Its not hard.

Its not a scam.

2 Likes

it’s definitely a scam, as it’s been explained many times. if you lack morality and are ok with it, that’s on you. i hope the virtual gold is worth it.

It reminds me of companies that convince people they should pay a couple of hundred dollars to get a printout of their home deed because con artists may have fraudulently taken title. I mean, technically no lie there, but they’re charging for an unneeded service and targeting old people.

Sure, grandma should know better. Sure, the company never told a lie. BUT, they’re still dirty rotten scammers in my book.

As a guy who divorces people for a living, I could milk my clientele for SO much money in perfectly legal ways if I chose. I don’t, because I’m not a scammer.

I could convince your grandma to spend the rest of her meager savings on a trust package she doesn’t need. These old people come in practically begging for a trust when all they own is a $2,000 used car. In my job, milking stupid people for their money is not only legal, it’s almost encouraged in an unspoken way. But I won’t, because I’m not the guy from American Psycho lol

1 Like

good point. according to the trashy people in this thread, the telemarketers targeting old people aren’t doing a scam at all.

The GDP of every country would collapse if we could prevent people from selling “unnecessary services” that target demographics likely to purchase said services.

1 Like

Telemarketers are annoying, but as long as they aren’t lying about you getting arrested and needing to pay in gift cards…

Just tell them your car is doing fine and hang up.

1 Like

Every telemarketer targets a demographic likely to purchase their goods, and those goods are likely superfluous, unnecessary, limited in value, or similar. Are all telemarketers “scammers”? Is anything bought that is unnecessary the result of a “scam”? You said earlier that luxury sales weren’t scams because people made a conscious choice to buy the overpriced and wholly unnecessary items… so how do you square that with your new position here?

You can repeat your lie as many times as you want. It doesn’t make it true.

I have explained as have many others in this thread exactly why it is not a scam.

Your opinion does not change the facts.

1 Like

You’re literally just pulling stuff out of your :peach: here.

You’re being deliberately disingenuous (I hope.) Its pretty easy to come up with a scenario where either apply. The most common being a medical emergency which you have to be aware of it, because you lightly touched on it, but then you try to dismiss it with some contrived circumstance involving a bar-room brawl which is just ridiculous. Your second paragraph is even worse. You’re attempting to make the defense seem ridiculous with your contrivances, but they only show how disingenuous you’re being in your arguments.

Its not at all a stretch to envision a scenario where a person is legally intoxicated at their home but then must drive someone to the hospital. Which is why these DEFENSES exist. Because there are in fact circumstances where driving while intoxicated is… JUSTIFIED.

Thanks for playing

Pretty easy to immediately dismiss someone who, either through stupidity or arguing in bad faith, can’t discern the difference between a differing opinion and a LIE!

By my standards, yes.

Am I arguing that they shouldn’t be able to do business? No.

I love how you just assume that were all doing this because we are telling you its not a scam.

I will defend someones rights even if I myself disagree with them…

Just because you don’t like something does not mean it is wrong or should not be happening.

P.S. Its not a scam

2 Likes