Guildie got AH scammed, threatening to unsub and delete her account

Didn’t realize this was based on opinions. Close thread please.

Repeating a falsehood many times does not make it true.

There was a buyout price openly listed.

They buyer had to confirm that TWICE to make the purchase.

Blizzard put those checks there assuming (perhaps naively) that people would, you know, check before they confirmed the purchase.

That they buyer did not, is on them.

This isn’t about someone soliciting old people to buy things they don’t need or some sort of bait and switch.

The information was clearly there and the buyer signaled in the confirmations that she understood what she was doing.

I cannot imagine any way to protect players from that level of just-too-stupid-to-play-the-game.

Forbid players from putting up buyout prices? The AH would turn into a sloggy mess if there was no way to do instant buys.

Forbid players from putting very low starting bids with buyout prices at a “this is what I’m sure I’d sell it for” prices? They take a risk with that and it’s the best way to determine the actual market value of a thing.

Allowing user complaints about AH prices? That would just turn into a massive report-fest which would in turn either be ignored by Blizzard or result in the AH effectively being shut down.

You really can’t fix careless or stupid except by allowing the people who are those things to ram their heads into the telephone pole on the sidewalk often enough that they figure out not to walk with their cell phone in their faces.

The buyer here can weep all she wants about her lost gold and complain all she wants that she was scammed.

But it was her fault and with any luck it’ll only happen eight or ten more times before she starts paying attention.-

5 Likes

Nobody scammed her. It was a legitimate auction.

1 Like

It is a scam because one person is clearly listing the item in bad faith, with the express intent of causing someone else to mistakenly purchase it. They dont REALLY believe anyone would buy that item at that price. The whole reason for listing it is to profit from someone elses error.

Thus… a scam

1 Like

When an opinion is proven to be false but the person continues to push the opinion as true fact… It becomes a lie…

Sorry not sorry.

So then you are arguing that scamming is bad and an unfair business practice, but are ok with scamming as a business. So did you just want to QQ but not do anything about scamming?

You’re all over the place. If all you wanted was a shoulder to cry on, you certainly went about it in an odd way.

No that’s not a lie. A lie is done with the intent to deceive. It means that the person knows the truth but is actively covering up the truth so that you will believe their lie.

Having a “wrong” opinion isn’t a lie.

Opinions are not matters of fact. Facts are not matters of opinion. It is one or the other.

I can’t say “in my opinion, the world is flat.” Because its easily verifiable that its not.
And if I say “The Earth is round.” Its inane to respond with “well that’s just your opinion.”

I am sincerely sorry. Like seriously

Nope, the buyer is just stupid.

2 Likes

not a scam buyout price was clearly listed…

2 Likes

I think this problem is completely relegated to the fact that the AH interface doesn’t mesh with people who regularly use apps or websites that allow you to sort items lower to higher based on bidding and buyout prices.

Amazon or eBay, for instance.

In the case of WoW’s auction house, there’s really no reason you shouldn’t be allowed to sort things by low to high in both categories. I think a lot of newer folks assume from the get-go that this is the case and they start automatically buying things that they need.

An example is that I wanted to buy some Arcane Dust. Because of the way the AH works, I actually have to scroll through a few pages of lower bid items with high buyout prices just to find lower buyout prices because people just throw up multiple individual Arcane Dust on the AH with low bid and high buyout just because they want you to see their auctions first and think that these are the lowest prices. Furthermore, I need to scroll to page 10 or 11 in the AH just to find larger stacks that are probably priced even lower.

Needless to say, this is all terribly inconvenient and people take advantage of this system all the time because they know the customer will pay for the opportunity not to be inconvenienced. This is no different than buying a fragile cell phone for its own price and then being offered the chance to pay $60 more for cover that will protect the phone if it is dropped. Why didn’t the phone have its protector built with it in the first place?!

But there, you don’t want your phone to break because that would be very inconvenient. So you fork over the extra $60. You paid money in order not to be inconvenienced. That’s how we solve first world problems.

As I said earlier in this thread, the reason people use the AH in this manner is because they know that scamming people in this manner works.

One of the main reasons it works is because, going back to the Arcane Dust, I can buy a stack of 20 for 40g (2g per unit) pick up the stack and get on with my day. Or, I can spend time scanning individual Arcane Dust that cost 1g 50s and save 10g at the cost of the time it takes to cherry-pick the lower buyouts intermixed with the higher buyouts.

In other words, I’d have to spend 10g for convenience of not having to spend the next few minutes eye-balling every price on the AH. This is really no different than when someone spends $1.50 for a 20 oz drink over spending $1.00 for a 1 liter drink. In the case of the former, you’re paying more for less because it’s more convenient. Ultimately, that’s why this scam works.

1 Like

so you’re arguing that I should start a legal crusade to stop all business I find distasteful? I mean, I really want to fulfill your standard of sufficient consistency foxmumbler lol

Arguing with you guys really is like having a debate with a bunch of apes.

It doesn’t matter how well you try to articulate your arguments. The apes aren’t going to understand a word of it and they’re mostly too busy throwing :poop: to listen anway

try to keep up

How is it a scam when someone clicks “accept” next to a price as a backup to prevent accidental purchases?

3 Likes

Ya. You didn’t get your point across.

I never claimed it was my opinion that it was not a scam.

Its a fact. Its not a scam. Point blank period!

So claiming that it is a scam is, in fact not true.

Some may that claiming false truths is… Wait for it… A lie!!!

2 Likes

exactly. dishonest people exploit the buyers making this very reasonable assumption.

Ah ok, so there we have it. Argumentfrom the absurd and redefining terms. A scam = I don’t like the business.

You don’t like the way McDonald’s tastes…. Ergo McDonald’s is a scam.

See you did a good job of trolling here.

Folks the OP just meant they don’t like the AH, the word scam = “I don’t like this”

1 Like

keep trying to obfuscate the issue, mr. scammer. bottom line is you are exploiting people being careless. has nothing to do with selling cheeseburgers.

The level of verification has no bearing on the intent of the scammer. If you ever watch Jim Browning or Pierogi you see it all the time. Even though the lady at the best buy will ask them repeatedly if they’re buying the cards to give someone over the phone, they’ll still lie and say no or go to another store if the 1st wont sell to them.
Western Union has systems in place. Almost every gift card reseller does as well. That doesn’t have any bearing whatsoever on whether something is a scam or not.