Guildie got AH scammed, threatening to unsub and delete her account

it would be a scam if the buyout price wasn’t visible.

5 Likes

She should take the L and learn from it. Whining and need to be coddled is the downfall of society

1 Like

no, it would be a BETTER scam if they could somehow hide the buyout price, but it’s still a scam as is that relies on people being careless.

1 Like

tell that to the hordies and their BG queues

1 Like

How is it a scam?

At no point did I imply that an outright lie wasn’t a scam, I simply refuted the asinine logic that every single scam requires user error, unless you stretch the term to encompass anything short of omniscience. If something is advertised for X, described as being X, when ordered confirms you’re receiving X, when purchases provides a receipt for X, shipped and identified as X, and when it arrives it isn’t X, this isn’t a user error, this is a mistake by the vendor that can be cured (because mistakes happened) or sued for fraud (because fraud happens too).

Lagspike’s point was nonsense.

…I mean you can argue whatever you want but the Court isn’t going to recognize defenses to a statute that fails to provide for any. Your only longshot hope is a bald faced plea for equity but chances are you would have pled that before the officer who first pulled you over, but these aren’t defenses either. That’s just begging the Court to not punish you when it is well within the Court’s right to do so.

I get you’re dripping with sarcasm but it is far simpler than that: it isn’t a scam because no one is lying to you and you can clearly see the prices. This is no different than people being shocked at the contract terms they agreed to regarding this game on the basis that “people never read EULA anyway”

If Blizzard “slipped” something into that agreement, people would be shocked, because people don’t read, but that doesn’t mean Blizzard actually did something wrong or acted deceitful.

…so every luxury good ever sold is a scam?

1 Like

no, because plenty of people consciously choose to spend lots of money on luxury goods. the conscious consent part is what’s important.

i’m done talking to you, anyone with a brain and a sense of morality can clearly see you’re a scammer. it’s sad bro

1 Like

How is anyone buying anything off the AH without “conscious consent”?

“I’m not wrong, you’re evil!!”

Okay.

3 Likes

Its interesting that you dont say sued for a scam. Because scam doesnt seem to be a legally recognized phrase. Or is it, I am not a lawyer.
If its not it makes this whole line of argument ironic.

You don’t file suit for scams, you file suit for particular forms of fraud, unfair business practices, violations of various statutes, breach of contract, etc, because you have to slot the injury into the appropriate cause of action that gives you standing to sue.

“I’ve been scammed!” is well understood to mean you believe got tricked in some way, but if you’re going to demand some kind of action against the alleged scammer, you need more than your gut feeling on the matter.

In the case of the AH, people are arguing ineffectually that because people are lazy, too fast on the trigger, and otherwise not paying attention when making non-confirmation purchases, it is a “scam” if someone sells something for a price they don’t like. However, no one is lying to these people, the AH functions the same as it always does, everything is clearly listed and known, etc, so nothing wrong has happened other than the regret of having wasted money buying the wrong thing.

5 Likes

Healing Potion Injector
Item Level 66
Requires Level 55
Use: Restores 1500 to 2500 health. (2 Min Cooldown)
Max Stack: 20
Sell Price: 50

Now on AH for only 2500g anyone need any

2 Likes

You scammer you

3 Likes

Getting into an argument with you about contract law and how this particular scam would play out in an actual court would probably be the worst decision I’ve made this week. Don’t think I’m going to do it.

I’m using ‘scam’ to mean dealing with someone dishonestly. I’m arguing that the people doing this are dishonest people. People I would call scammers in my day to day. Not making any other claim, and I’m not seeking to have them punished, etc.

I just prefer to call a spade a spade.

People can debate the meaning of the word ‘dishonesty’ and argue that since the price is posted, that there is no dishonesty. I’d say that fails any reasonable common sense standard. If a guy is acting anonymously, and trying to sell me an item for 1000% what it is worth, I’m just going to go ahead and say he’s a dishonest scammer. I don’t need a linguistics, law, or philosophy treatise to understand it lol

2 Likes

I’ve never claimed it was or wasn’t a scam. Arguments over semantics are usually pointless, and avoid the core of the discussion.

It is clear the intention of the person posting the item was hoping to take advantage of somebody’s inattentiveness. That was successfully exploited in this case. I don’t agree that it necessarily follows that big-brother needs to step in. A measure of personal responsibility goes a long way towards avoiding victimhood.

Fixed that for you.

As it is now. The buyout price was clearly listed. So not a scam.

2 Likes

Necessity or Choice of Evils are valid defenses that are not procedural in nature, used to JUSTIFY a per se dui. So you’re just incorrect. :man_shrugging:

Never, never, never…. Click without reading.

I know people do just go down the line clicked to buy everything they see without checking prices.

I know this because I set up my auctions for people like this.

Example copper ore on my server goes for 2-5 silver each. On the weekends you can put up a stack of 20 with a bid at 1 silver each and a buyout of 7.5 silver each.

The AH will sort my auctions in with the lower priced “buy out” auctions because my bid price is so low, and people will blind click buy out for everything.

You probably think I’m an @ssh#ll. Sometimes my auctions are bid on and I end up selling for less than normal, other times, I get more gold than others for the same item.

Am I wrong? If I list an epic boe for 999,99, 99 or whatever the max is, your not obligated to buy it.

If I put it at 1cc bid and max buy out, are you obligated to buy?
When on an unregulated public auction the term “Caveat emptor” has never applied more.

2 Likes

the bottom line is this:

• some players, particularly new ones, assume that the buyout prices listed on the AH are in order from least to greatest, so they can safely buyout a long series of auctions if they like the price of the first one.
  • the AH doesn’t actually order things this way though.
  • scammers realize that there is a discrepency here that can be exploited
  • so they exploit it
  • it sure would be nice if blizzard would adjust the way the AH orders things so that this discrepancy disappears. but for whatever reason, they won’t.
  • until then, scammers are scamming.

the end

1 Like

I post a non running corvette on Craigslist for higher than brand new prices. The pricing is listed clearly, the description says “does not run, has no engine, needs wheels, body, transmission, and frame, sale is as is.” It’s clearly labeled etc… you show up and buy it outright. Then when you get home, you call the police for fraud because it doesn’t run…. Whose at fault?

There is now way to hide pricing in wow, no one told you you’d get full mana injections and then sold you empty ones. Tell me where the scam is?

2 Likes

thank you for perfectly describing the scam you are doing.

the smarter scammers cancel these auctions before they end. just a tip

1 Like

Nothing to exploit on the AH. Your own stupidity? Yeah, if you want to assume that all pricing is the same, sure I’ll take your gold. Nothing dishonest and nothing underhanded is going on.

Are you suggesting the AH have fixed item pricing?

1 Like