Guildie got AH scammed, threatening to unsub and delete her account

You could certainly argue there is “deceit” here.
People have explained it in analogies ad nauseum.

I can’t read that much can I get a tldr can I bang when drunk or no?

You’re obviously not a lawyer and should stop lying on the internet. Because that is sooooooooooo obviously incorrect. It’s called a Per Se DUI and they’re successfully defended literally every second of every day

A - falling for the lie is still user error. A fully functional person would be able to spot the lie and back out. But no one is fully functional 100% of the time. Being tired, frustrated, or in a rush can leave you vulnerable.

B - How can you argue that a 1c bid and 900g buyout is NOT being deceitful? You can argue that it “clearly states” the price, but as we have already mentioned, someone who is not fully functional (through being tired, distracted, rushed, etc) may fall for the lie and buy it when they didn’t mean to.

If these AH scammers are NOT scammers, then what are they? Please don’t tell me they are honest folk trying to make a living.

You can’t be guilty of deceit by telling the truth. The Bid and Buyout prices are listed separately and distinctly, there is no deceit to be had.

Which means nothing of the sort because legal standard via analogy ends up badly explaining both.

TLDR: Maybe, depending on circumstances.

If you’re pulled over for suspected DUI, and we’re talking about alcohol, there’s nothing more to it than this. Look at any “how to beat a DUI” or “defenses to DWI” and you’ll find PROCEDURAL methods of beating the charge, not substantive arguments of fact.

You’re stretching “user error” to such a degree as to include every single transaction that exists, both fraudulent and genuine. If you order Product X online, pay for it, get a receipt that Product X is coming, and then days later you receive Product Y, and the vendor refuses to cure it because they claim that’s what you ordered, there was no lie to spot, you were simply scammed.

You can’t lie by telling the truth. The end.

If someone is tired and making purchases online that is the fault of the buyer, not the seller.
If someone is drunk while making purchases online that is the fault of the buyer, not the seller.
If someone is being rushed out the door by their parents while they try to make one last second purchase online and buys the wrong things that is the fault of the buyer, not the seller.

Vendors listing clearly marked bids and buyouts for a variety of goods based on what they think they might get for those goods. No more, no less.

3 Likes

Per SE DUI’s are harder to beat sure. But that’s not the same thing as

Being deceitful and lying are pretty clearly not the same thing.

I’m done trying to argue. I’ll leave with one final piece of advice, which echos my first post in this thread.

No one is immune to being scammed. So tread carefully out there. The more immune you think you are, the higher your chance of falling for one. I genuinely hope you don’t ever get scammed, but from your attitude, it sounds like your time is coming.

2 Likes

Cmon man, lol. Argue better.

There’s clearly a lie to spot. They promised that in return for the given amount you would receive product X. That was clearly a lie if they never had the intent to send product X, and instead planned on sending product Y all along.

that’s still user error, relying on people being ignorant/dumb/impulsive, etc.

That’s fine, I agree.

Just quit saying it’s not a scam when it clearly is lol

exactly, just admit it’s a scam. stop lying to yourself and others. not sure why anyone would deny the obvious like this, unless you are a scammer yourself…

If someone accuses you of sexual assault, you can claim the defense of ‘consent’ for instance to prove that while sex did occur, it wasn’t assault and it was desired by both parties.

If someone accuses you of statutory rape, you cannot claim the defense of ‘I didn’t know she was underaged’ because no such defense exists in the statute.

No defenses means you have nothing you can use as a defense that JUSTIFIES the behavior. It is a given that if the officer doesn’t show up to testify at court you have no accuser so you have no crime. It is a given that if the prosecution loses all evidence then they can’t actually prove their case and you have no crime. These apply to literally all charges and they aren’t defenses, those are procedural matters you hope the State screws up on so you can skate.

The point of lining up the three as I did was to show that there’s no arguing that you were cogent enough to still drive a car when your BAC is above the limit, the way that someone can defend a valid contract between two drunk people based on their cogency (or lack thereof).

Not under the law. You can’t deceive someone while telling the truth.

Sure, but this isn’t a scam.

…yeah you can spot the lie after you’ve already paid, which is pretty pointless since you’ve already lost the money and received a product you didn’t want.

Being bad at making deals isn’t a liability we impose on vendors.

2 Likes

how come the same vendor will list the same item 10 times, 9 times for something around market price, and 1 time for 1000x market price? hmmmm. clearly this is just an honest vendor thinking the 10th item is worth 1000x more than the others, despite being exactly the same!

Because they can?
Because they screwed up?
Because they think someone will buy it?

Stop trying to take your disgust as an operative fact: what did they do “wrong” by listing someone for a different value?

4 Likes

yes, they can do scams on the AH. we know that. can you just admit they are scammers and stop lying?

1 Like

I guess you should have been smarter. In the future I trust you’ll do more diligence before engaging in business with someone or utilize an escrow to ensure the item is as advertised. We can play that game all day, its still specious logic.

A Per Se DUI simply states that the state doesn’t have to do anything further to PROVE you were drunk. It doesn’t mean that you can’t argue that you WERE in fact JUSTIFIED in driving drunk.

You see, it’s okay because it doesn’t violate the UCC or whatever

We can’t call someone a scammer, who’s clearly scamming, because we can’t prove the necessary elements in court lol

2 Likes

Second week of TBC launch, I sold the Stratholme food book for 500g (you can learn this from the trainer now) because I was sneaky and undercut the TBC conjure book.

Smart? Yes
Feel bad? A little bit
Was it worth? Absolutely. It helped me get epic flying & cmon…its mages…

Dosen’t this come down to read what you are doing? It is like signing a contract you didn’t read, like all those elua’s you just scroll through. It is purely her fault. If she had been paying atention she would not have spent all that money.

1 Like