Guild tabard Referencing Hate Group

dang, can’t get into the game.

Sure, long as you’re attacking institutions and not beliefs.

For example, the various Islamic theocratic governments that have turned the Middle East into a hellhole for the last fifty years are as terrible as the Vatican, if not worse.

However, these forums are based in America, and there’s only one religion that holds significant political sway here, and it’s a sway that is frequently used to justify holding back rights from marginalized groups. There’s also very many people here who hold onto childhood trauma caused by religious upbringings that stifled emotional and creative growth.

Are there other groups that deserve criticism? Absolutely. However, they are less relevant to the dominant demographic that uses these forums. It’s hardly a surprise that you’ll see Christianity brought up and criticized more often here.

1 Like

https://literarytravesty.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/perry_the_platypus_by_majorzod01-d3euzt6-e1405990943574.jpg?w=300

1 Like

We’re going to lead the new crusades :sunglasses:.

Edit: OP is an obvious troll LOL.

3 Likes

if anyone looks hard enough, people will find something that offends them.

5 Likes

Reviewing them ,yep the down part isn’t the same as the rest of it so it’s not square at all in fact none of them are. Blizz you safed on this matter.

Might as well remove paladins from the game lol.

“Crusader strike”

Replaced with

“Friendly touch”

16 Likes

And yet here we are…

10 Likes

Wow you mean to tell me the klukluxklan Adopted and used Similar Imagery related to the Knights Templar from the Holy Crusades?

1 Like

dude the Knights Templar were mostly criminals who had their sins forgiven by the Pope if they went to fight in the Crusades basically… so ya what did criminals do in the 1100s? probably lot of rape and murder.

1 Like

For a Group that Takes a Vow of Poverty, they sure were wealthy. Also you don’t need a plenary indulgence from the pope, if you didn’t commit any sins while on crusades. Just sayin.

1 Like

The first wave of Templars apparently were very wealthy, which is why they took the vow. The vow took place after the fact.

6 Likes

Yeah I was going to say that. Obviously nefarious elements have adopted Templar imagery in the past but it’s a historical thing and there are paladins in the game, so I’d say OP is reaching.

Also crusades (like any war, really) sucked IRL but I’m not complaining about Crusader Strike. Paladin is like my favorite melee class, if I stooped to the lowest reference I could find something historically wrong with every class I’m sure.

I mean if you want to be technical we are playing World of Racewar, I mean, Warcraft. See where that goes though? Races. At war. I’m sure cross faction is just to balance low populations and nothing to do with the fact that in this game racial hatred (more like species hatred, but in according to the game’s own words those are races) is like the center of the game’s reality.

And it isn’t just this game, people could probably find something wrong with nearly all fantasy tropes if we let it. Just look what happened to Lovecraft. Just in my lifetime he went from Obcure to Pop-Culturally Overused (public domain happened) to He’s A Racist And We Shall Cancel Him. Despite the huge effect he had on fantasy and sci-fi as a whole. Also despite if you comb his letters I’m pretty sure he says he was at one point racist (raised by racist puritans who could’ve guessed?) but was trying to move beyond it. Also pay no mind that he died at just 46 and never saw major things like the 2nd World War and the Civil Rights Movement.

You’re still the man, Lovecraft. No amount of ignorance OR plush ironic hipster Cthulhus can kill the effects you had on me just as a writer and fellow alienated individual. It’s just funny that 20 years ago when I was in College no one would even admit to knowing who he was, now I’d be berated out of the program just for listing him as an influence before we even got to talk about his actual writing.

3 Likes

The Vow didn’t stop the Knights Templar from amounting wealth. It said that “a” Knight could not own property, but “The knights Templar” as a whole could be gifted lands and wealth because you know gotta find a way to monetize it. The same way the Vow of Chastity said they could not be married… but nothing about “Grape”. Thus part of why they needed to be absolved of sins after the crusades.

The organization became wealthy many years later.

Like I stated, the Templars were around for almost 300 hundred years. I don’t know of many people that live that long, do you?

You have a very negative, and probably unrealistic view of things.

10 Likes

I’ve observed this history from several sides. I’m not so sure the organization was any more nefarious than any other historical monetary power, and it’s pretty difficult not to see it’s disbandment as a naked power/money grab. Just needed a religious element tacked on to get the common man of the era on board.

I mean some think they were blatantly evil and some think they were way better than they probably were (like I’ve seen ideas that they understood Something About Christianity that no one else got), even “nonbiased” historians are kinda all over the place. Not even sure how I feel about it all, I just know I like Paladins in this game.

Apparently they weren’t really greedy or evil. They were kind of a primitive banking organization that also did other tasks for fees. But, they also held onto peoples money for safe keeping. It’s actually pretty brilliant.

4 Likes

The crosses are different designs and different colours. Man, you are going to lose your mind if you ever go to a blood bank!

9 Likes

The OP still thinks they’re a hate group. Perhaps it’s because they were sanctioned by the Pope, and some hate the Pope, methinks.

1 Like

Also, they were sanctioned by the Pope to protect the Holy Land , specifically Jerusalem, after the first crusade.