Guild tabard Referencing Hate Group

I’ve noticed that some guilds are designing their guild logo and tabards so that they represent a certain racist hate group.

Here is a picture of their tabard: https://i.imgur.com/njCXkUy.png

Compare that to this: https://media.istockphoto.com/vectors/emblem-of-the-ku-klux-klan-vector-vector-id841144204

It’s easy to see the resemblance. These guilds are also usually named after these hate groups as well. (In this case, the guild’s name involves the word “Crusading”.) Combined with the hooded helmets that the players in the guild wear, it’s quite clear what they’re trying to do.

It’d probably be a good thing to remove (or adjust) the Cross-style guild symbol from the game, so that these guilds don’t quite look so much like that aforementioned hate group.

Thank you!

Also, here’s an article for anyone who wants to read about the link between medieval imagery and hate groups.

Edit: Added a bit to make it clear that it’s fine to adjust the symbol instead of absolutely removing it. Also added a link to that article!

14 Likes

It looks like the Knights Templar tabard to me.

131 Likes

One could say that, that is a hate group :thinking: you know… cause of the Crusades.

9 Likes

I’m sure the Scarlet crusade can be seen as a hate group. But such is life. Guess the undead safe space has been violated

21 Likes

Yes, I know, but he was referencing the big hate group that’s around today. I don’t think they’re related, but who knows. :woman_shrugging:

Is this bait?

This is pretty much one of those moments where it’s safe to say, that “there are much bigger fish to fry”.

14 Likes

Is this another case of actively looking for something to be upset about

86 Likes

Dis be silly Mon.

8 Likes

Love threads where the op posts something like this then proceeds too never respond too a single post in it.

4 Likes

No need, they’ve done what they came to do.

5 Likes

31 Likes

One could indeed say that… and be wrong. :smiley:

OP is obviously making a leap here. Especially since the person wearing the tabard, was obviously trying to look like a Knight Templar.

No offense, but you have a lot of really bad opinions.

25 Likes

Hmm, but not all Christians hate. Pretty sure all of the “hate” group “hates”?

Regardless, he was referencing a different “hate” group than the Knights Templar. It looks more like the Knights Templar symbol than the other, imo.

5 Likes

Nope, it’s not bait. I’m being serious that maybe it shouldn’t be so easy to create a look that clearly references hate groups. I get that there’s bigger fish to fry, but it’s still a suggestion that fits Blizzard’s goal of making WoW less toxic.

Also, sorry, I’m here now. Had to do some things elsewhere. Gotta give me time to respond!

3 Likes

This is such a leap that OP just won the gold medal in the long jump competition

41 Likes

Thanks for giving me the idea to get my tabard looking like one of the knightly orders from the crusades.

6 Likes

You’re saying this after barely 10 minutes and even fewer posts? Ok then.

2 Likes

I agree with the OP, when I saw the outfit with the tabard on the link I thought of the X hate group at first glance then laughed.

What’s wrong with you youngsters nowadays?!

1 Like

For those curious about the whole Crusader-hate group connection, here’s an article that explains it: https://www.history.com/news/how-hate-groups-are-hijacking-medieval-symbols-while-ignoring-the-facts-behind-them

It’s a bit long, so I get if you don’t wanna read the whole thing. But here’s a passage from it talking about the link between hate groups and medieval symbology:

He saw it in footage of the Charlottesville rally, he says: “The imagery that these white nationalist, white supremacist groups were using was really in a lot of cases very noticeably medieval.” Some of them carried “crusader shields with a red cross on it that said ‘deus vult’”—a Latin rallying cry meaning “God wills,” used by some Christian knights in the first Crusade. The red crosses evoke those worn by the Knights Templar, a Roman Catholic order that has long been fodder for myth, legend and conspiracy theories.

3 Likes

Most of these kinds of posts the dude makes it then never responds. Cmon your tellin me ye havent noticed that trend?

2 Likes