[Guide] WoW Game Tokens

Guide Last Updated: 2023-11-30

NEW WOW TOKEN RESTRICTIONS IMPLEMENTED
Effective: November, 7th, 2023
Source: Restriction on Purchase of WoW Token – November 2023

Players will no longer be allowed to purchase a WoW Token from the Auction House or the in-game Shop for gold if they have not spent real money to purchase and consume at least 30 days of game time (a “Time Limited License”) since 2017.

This does not affect the consumption of existing WoW Tokens, however, game time provided by the consumption of a WoW Token does not count toward the qualification to purchase a WoW Token for gold.

After November 21, 2023, any player who cannot purchase a WoW Token for gold in-game will need to first purchase and consume at least 30 days of game time for real money. This can be done on any World of Warcraft account across the player’s Battle.net account to qualify.

UPDATE TO WOW TOKENS
Effective: February, 6th, 2017

You can now use WoW Tokens for Battle.net Balance when you purchase one off of the AH. You may find further information on this new update to the WoW Token System here!

Trade a WoW Token for Battle.net Balance:

Original Version of this Guide

Hello to all new and veteran World of Warcraft Players!

Welcome to my extensive guide regarding the new World of Warcraft Game Tokens! :slight_smile:

Which Patch did World of Warcraft Game Tokens launch?:

The World of Warcraft Game Tokens were launched in World of Warcraft on April, 7th, 2015.

When will the Game Tokens be available to World of Warcraft Players?:

Game Tokens started to roll out first on realms that are serving (North America, Oceania, and Latin America). After this it had become expanding to other regions in weeks after the release of Game Tokens on North American Realms.

What is the cost for World of Warcraft Game Tokens?:

For Canadians the price is $28.00 CAD, Which includes $3.00 CAD in the price in taxes
For New Zealand residents the price is $32 NZD ($23 USD) here, which includes 15% GST
For U.S. Residents the price is $20.00 USD

Where can I purchase the World of Warcraft Game Token?:

You can purchase the WoW Game Token from the in-game shop. If you choose to purchase it for usage on your Battle.net Account from the Auction House there will be a new tab called “Game Time”. WoW Tokens will be listed at a base price of 30,000 gold.

However note though that the price for WoW Tokens can go below 30,000 gold or climb up in price. Prices are based on demand for these tokens.

How much times may you use the WoW Game Token?:

You may use the token ONLY on the Auction House! Once it’s sold it is Soul Bound to the buyer and can only be used (1) time to redeem for game time for your World of Warcraft account. Once sold as well the seller will receive the gold they sold it for!

Can I set my own price for the token when selling on the Auction House?:

At this time, Blizzard has stated upon listing it onto the Auction House, A pre-set price determined by Blizzard will be the listing price. This price may go up or down pending on the sale(s) of the WoW Token in each region. You cannot at this time set your own personal price for the WoW Token!

The current price you sell the WoW Game Token for in the Auction House is set at 30,000 gold.

However note though that the price for WoW Tokens can go below 30,000 gold or climb up in price. Prices are based on demand for these tokens.

May I buy the token if my account is inactive?:

YES! The option to purchase the token will additionally be on the character select menu if your character has the gold to purchase them.

May I purchase the WoW Token with my local currency?:

Tokens can only be purchased in US currency at the moment. If the system is trying to use Euros, For example, it’s not going to go through - or indeed, give you that option.

Will Recruit a Friend Work with these tokens?:

YES! They will count just like game cards for your friend you recruited!

I’m getting a grey button that states “Not enough Gold”, But I’m certain I got the correct amount. What does this mean?:

You would get this error in question if you have enough gold if there is not enough World of Warcraft Tokens for sale on the market. In this case, Please try again later when more are in-stock.

Is there a limit of WoW Tokens I may purchase per month to sell?:

Yup. The limit you may sell is capped at (10) tokens every (7) days.

I spent the correct amount of gold, But did not receive the token? What do I do?:

Blizzard is aware of this bug and the developers have announced that the gold spent would be returned to the person(s) that purchased the token off the Auction House! You should expect it to return via in-game mail.

When buying a token can I use gold from both factions?:

Yes. You may purchase the token using gold from both your Alliance and Horde characters!

Please note though that the gold pulled from your character(s) all come from the same realm the character(s) are on. You cannot pull gold from multiple realms at this time!

May I purchase tokens using my Battle.net Balance?:

Yes, If you have the sufficient funds you will be able to!

Looking for more World of Warcraft Token information - Please refer to post below! Thank-you!

5 Likes

More Information on the World of Warcraft Token!

Can I Buy & Sell WoW Tokens in WoW: Classic and WoW: Burning Crusade Classic?:

At this time, It’s not possible to Buy or Sell WoW Tokens in either WoW: Classic or WoW: Burning Crusade Classic. You may only Buy and Sell WoW Tokens in the retail edition of World of Warcraft!

Are the tokens sold to a single realm or region-wide?:

When you sell a WoW Token it is sold region-wide and put into a queue. WoW token sales are NOT limited to a single realm as a result of this!

World of Warcraft Game Token Restrictions!:

There are some restrictions on claiming a WoW Token for Battle.net Balance:

• You can’t claim a WoW Token for Battle.net Balance if you are at or near the balance cap. See Balance Restrictions for details.
  • Only Tokens purchased with gold from the Auction House can be redeemed for Balance.
  • You must have game time on your World of Warcraft account.
  • The country your Battle.net account is registered to must match the region your World of Warcraft account is in.

Is there a cap to how many World of Warcraft Game Tokens I can purchase per month for personal use?:

YES! Just as previously mentioned for the cap for World of Warcraft tokens, (10) per week for selling on the Auction House. The limit you can purchase from the Auction House for personal use is (36) tokens every 24 months that may be used for game-time!

What is the point of the World Warcraft Game Token?:

The point is for players to purchase the Game Token from the in-game shop, Re-sell it on the Auction House for other players to use. Plus it’s a way for players to make gold for a decent profit to purchase other items they may desire in-game!

Additionally, It’s a safe secure way to trade game-time to other players without having to worry about being scammed. This is because other services players offer in-game like game-time and other features such as in-game store mounts are often advertised by compromised accounts and are not legit.

Not to mention those transactions are not supported by Blizzard and could result in action taken against you as per for Terms of Use and Terms of Service.

1 Like

Important World of Warcraft Token Information Links!
Update: 2020-02-04: These Links were removed due to the pages being removed on the website.

External Links Regarding the WoW Token:

Further Information that may not be covered in this guide:

Day-By-Day Pricing:

https://wowtoken.info/

Customer Support links for WoW Token:

Using a WoW Token:

WoW Token purchase problem:
https://us.battle.net/support/en/help/product/wow/166/786/solution

1 Like

I read this thread thinking it would be helpful for people looking to play their way, not pay their way.

Unfortunately, it looks like it reads as a guide to buying tokens with cash instead of a guide to earning play time through game time (or even level 20 gold making strategies).

Buying tokens is a process with different options needed to purchase tokens to sell fon the AH vs purchasing tokens on the AH to use for time. It hasn’t changed since tokens were first introduced however people still get confused by the effect of their choices, hence the thread.

Making money to purchase a token from the AH is covered by about a few thousand web sites that deal specifically with how to make gold in WoW. The methods vary each time a new xpac is released and even as the current xpac gets older.
You are not ever likely to see a single thread encompassing all the current ways to make golden-game.

Level 20 trial characters have a gold limit of 1000 K. Not anywhere near high enough to afford a token.
Realistically, once a level 20 trial character has reached a couple of hundred gold, which is easily obtainable in an evening of questing, there’s nothing left for them to buy. They will have mounts and 14-16 slot bags and the wowhead item database can point them to quests to fill particular gear slots.

Earn

1 Like

How come its not showing up for me to purchase on my account for us currency its not showing up at all im not playing on classic

Token sales have been updated…
Basically you need to pay for time with real money once since 2017. In order to buy token time with gold.
See blue post…

Thanks for reminder! I was meaning to update this new information to my Guide when this change went into effect. I’ve now updated the 1st post of this thread with the new information! :slight_smile:

1 Like