Grong, what happened?

Can someone explain exactly what happened to the Gorillas of Gorilla Gorge?

One moment on Horde-side, I’m freeing them from captivity, and helping them overthrow their aggressive leader because they are seeking a peaceful life.

The very next moment I’m freeing them from the Horde and helping them act out in aggression because it’s necessary? What??

This leads to a few questions:

One - When they were originally caged or killed, even then they would not fight back because it was not the way they wanted to react. I had to do the killing for them. So why is it now that Grong their leader is totally cool with killing and the others support him?

Two - The Horde was totally cool with the Gorillas, and even though the Gorillas did not want to help mine the Kajamite, it ended on a good note. So why when I return as Alliance, did the Horde put them back into those same cages and start skinning them? Because they didn’t want to help mine? That seems a bit extreme.

9 Likes

Because the Horde is always doing a BIG mean to the Alliance, but don’t worry since you weren’t there to see it, it’s all the Warcheif fault instead! :roll_eyes:

28 Likes

I can only assume that that Grong is an anti-capitalist revolutionary who resents the Goblins introducing his people to the concept of “Moolah,” because that’s literally all that happened at the end of the quest line.

28 Likes

I don’t know if you noticed, but the Horde are jerks.

Pre-emptive: The Alliance are jerks too.

HAH. Can’t call me biased now!

We’re all jerks. Azeroth sucks.

11 Likes

Based on the other two responses. Yours is the one I’m going to settle on Niska. There was no explanation from how we got from the concept of Moolah, to skinning them and throwing them back into cages. So I’m guessing Grong and friends were trying to bring down the bourgeoisie in the name of the people. Insert Soviet National Anthem theme

5 Likes

I don’t think the exact leap in logic was well portrayed in game. I would have to assume that a few goblins might have tried to make a quick venture into the fur and circus industry. Given the gnomes had been talking to Grond those goblins probably served to reinforce what the gnomes had been saying about the Horde.

1 Like

I doubt Gallywix’s boys hold the same goals and morals as the Horde PC. They didn’t even bother to tell you they were rigging up the Undercity to kersplode.

1 Like

This really bums me out. When the quest ended I was absolutely expecting some crazy quest chain, or possibly a dungeon, where the gorillas have exploded in population and technology and built a massive grossly capitalist society that is driven by an obsessive desire for “Moolah”, which they worship as a primitive god due to both misunderstanding the goblin’s explanation and taking the goblins’ teachings far more to heart than even the goblins themselves.

This would, of course, kick off a whole secondary super high tech war over the Kaja’mite mines between the goblins and their genius gorilla former students in the ways of capitalism.

11 Likes

Because the horde is so evil and monkeys can tell, obviously.

12 Likes

Who’d have thunk that apes were the key to getting a Goblin/Gnome expansion?

I’d be down with an expansion about Gelbin and Gallywix setting aside their rivalry and combining their tech forces to bring down the mad tyrant Grong, High Prophet of Moolah, and his ultra capitalistic theocratic dictatorship of super genius gorillas.

That sounds WAY more fun than what we’re doing now. Maybe instead of azerite gear we can forge armor made from the melted down currency of a thousand nations that Grong has subjugated.

32 Likes

This is possibly the best expansion concept I have ever read on this forum.

13 Likes

The player helps the gorillas and has the peace-loving apes chat with the goblins, and then you head off on your merry way to go beat up some cannibals in a swamp or whatever.

Now, considering that goblins are goblins and the idea of having to negotiate for something they believe is theirs by divine right (or more accurately, “Goblin Law”), it’s safe to assume negotiations went south, they called the gorillas a bunch of dumb monkeys, and instead want to take all the kajamite for themselves without paying anything in return.

No one in the Horde objects because hey, let’s be honest, if you were a leader of the Horde right now, and someone said, “Goblins are abusing gorillas for profit”, you’d be like “… Okay, yeah, so? We have much bigger problems.”

3 Likes

That’s the major issue I take with it. I have never supported the ideal of theory-crafting for the author, director or whatever. If it isn’t explained to me, or at least alluded to in some way then it’s just bad story telling. I shouldn’t have to write the story for you.

You saw them rigging it up during the battle though, this is an example of how you can correctly convey a message without explicitly saying it. Which is not what happened in Grong’s case. You saw them rigging up the explosives, and know that it wouldn’t be allowed unless they were ordered to do so (as Horde officers like Saurfang, and Sylvanas herself do nothing to stop them or even mention it when it is in plain sight).

This is hilarious. I would support this just because it would be a nice deviation and an excuse for an extra dungeon.

This is an example of poor writing. You had to piece that together just to infer that, and even with the same information I saw it resulting differently. Which is why I made this forum post to begin with.
The Gorillas were peace loving, and had no concept of what moolah even was. If the Gorillas did not want to assist them in mining the Kajamite (as I said in my original post) how exactly does that end up in poaching and slavery?
As passives, the Gorillas would just stand aside and watch the Goblins take all the Kajamite. They don’t need to negotiate anything with them, it was just a weak plot point used to make the Horde seem like bad guys.

14 Likes

Hear, hear. I wouldn’t mind the story gap so much if it wasn’t just another casual villain-batting.

(Grumble-“anathema-to-the-noble-soul”-grumble)

11 Likes

This is the major issue I’m having with quite a few points in WoW’s ongoing story, but I chose Grong to focus on for this forum. There is consistently leaps of logic made, or drastic changes in character with no explanation to how we got there.

2 Likes

Honestly, it’s just more salt in the wound. The developers did absolutely everything they could to make the Horde look awful, no matter how small or petty.

It’s really just demoralizing, the effort they went through to whack everyone possible with the villain bat.

19 Likes

Someone mentioned Grong being one of the gorillas the Horde pushed out, not the pacifist gorillas the Horde helped, but I never looked too much into it so I don’t know if that was true or not.

this is the first we see of grong, but he is the leader of their group supposedly being the smartest one

Honestly I don’t even think it’s for the sake of villain batting everyone. I think Blizzard really just wanted their Giant monkey fight in the raid, and didn’t have a logical way to implement it. So they wrote this half baked plot and slapped it in there thinking no one would notice.
The issue is that I did notice that inconsistency and it bothers me. I want some actual explanation of what went wrong or at least admission of guilt that they changed the ending to fit their raid.

3 Likes