Got a whisper from someone in game

And it said it said it was from a blizzard GM and the whisper said that I have been conducting illegal transactions and it wanted to me go to a website. Is this a scam or legit?

6 Likes

Absolutely a scam.

Right-click and report them.

8 Likes

Most definitely a scam.

Whispers from Blizzard will pop up in their own little chat box, and the text will be blue. You also will not be able to right-click and report a real employee like you can other players.

Right-click and report them for spam whenever it happens. Word circulating that it’s starting to creep into mail, as well. Keep an eye open!

Please also remove the website from your OP so that you don’t advertise for them here.

You also want to run a scan on your system to check and see if it injected some malware, after your next post. And then change your password again after that. Probably also to any other services that use the same password.

8 Likes

So I lowkey went to that website and put in my account info not realizing it was a scam. I changed my password and locked my debit card is there anything else I should do.

Ekon has a good rundown of things to do. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

You could also setup another unrelated email - change the email on the account.

I haven’t looked, but hopefully you also have an authenticator on the account :slight_smile:

1 Like

Scam.

Report and ignore.

Looks like they do have an authenticator. Here’s hoping it was there prior to the phish!

Odyn, I can’t stress how important securing your e-mail is too. Like Orlyia said, consider setting up a new e-mail address (I highly recommend gmail as you can add an authenticator to it too) and use that only for WoW. Be sure to use unique passwords for both too.

Here’s a support article on changing your battle.net email:

2 Likes

just got that whisper …I reported ,…also the chara name is Blizard …one z lol

Just going to add that if you use that name and/or password for other things you need to change those as well.

4 Likes

I received the same email. Luckily I remember Blizzard is always net not this bogus email they required me to go to [Edited]. The whisper said Blizzards. creepy people. Its funny this happed right after a bunch of us - me the only Horde person killed a big dude - skeleton. Then I receive this email. (Blizzard Entertainment)GM said Our security system detected that you have recently conducted illegal transactions Please visit [Edited] We require verification that you are the primary account holder otherwise we will suspend your account.
I did not go to this website.

Please edit out their website from your post. You’d be surprised how many people will go to it anyway. There’s no need to further ‘advertise’ the site for them :wink:

To those receiving these, Blizzard will never threaten account action. They don’t have to. They can lock down your account and then you have to contact them via official means (and this site, not some third party) to appeal it.

They’ve definitely stepped up their phishing attempts. Stay vigilant!

4 Likes

I just got the same whisper today i just reported it straight away.

1 Like

I got the same message, but by the time I read this forum post am unable to right click. Not sure where you report this spam to WOW/Blizzard. They posted a link threatened suspension of my account as well for illegal transactions

If you were unable to report at the time, Seldomseen, I wouldn’t worry to much about it. Someone else likely reported them.

If you see messages like that in the future, you’ll know how to report them if you wish to help out. Thanks so much for your efforts. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Just a suggestion: ban any new name that begins with Bl, has a Z somewhere in the middle, and ends with a D. That way no spelling variation of Blizzard can be created and some of the existing variations are likely locked on banned accounts caught trying to scam.

This should still allow safe non-variation names like Blood to be used since it didn’t have a Z at all.

If you have expertise on how to code it specifically like that while also avoiding the millions of other possibilities that don’t have the other letters that make up “Blizzard,” you can make that suggestion in General Discussion.

Customer Support isn’t the correct forum for suggestions or changes regarding the game itself.

Poor Blartzkeed doesn’t deserve to be auto-banned for no reason. :frowning:

9 Likes

Only new names. Existing names in the game before the rule will still be allowed in the game. Scammers who got Blizzard-esque names before the rule will still need to be caught and reported.

Blartzkeed was a name I just thought up off the top of my head that fits your criteria for a name ban, but has no relation to why you want to implement it.

Just to showcase why your suggestion would be a massive undertaking. Because you want to make sure that name isn’t also blocked when trying to weed out impersonators.

As an aside, botters would probably catch on eventually and just add more Is at the start or As at the end to off-center the Z trigger in the middle.

4 Likes

A very messy looking variation of Blizzard is less likely to hook a victim for one thing.