GMs Not Following Policy - Or are the CMs Out of Touch?

There is currently an issue in the non-Shadowlands level 50 BFA bracket with a large number of players using an exploit to gain access to covenant abilities that they shouldn’t have.

For those who don’t know, this bracket works like a normal leveling bracket where the game considers you a leveler, despite being capped at the BFA level of 50, which means that you get to play with a LARGE pool of players. The catch is, you CANT normally get covenant buffs/abilities because you cant go to SL. You can find more details in this thread, and the linked solution.

The bottom line is that Kalviery has publicly declared this to be bug exploitation. Yet when I inform a GM, or rather write to Hacks@Blizzard.com – as Kalviery suggests-- There is NO solution, and no action on the GMs’ part.

I spoke with a player exploiting the bug and they went as far as saying they had asked a GM, and the GM indicated to them that there was no problem with their action. Furthermore, not only did the player in question give me their blessing to relate all of this, but they have also written a how-to-guide here on the forums as to how to do this.

So, I sent all this info to Hacks@Blizzard.com roughly a month ago (screenshots included)-- and nothing has happened… Why? Am I misunderstanding something? Are they misunderstanding something? Do they need more time? Is Blizzard simply unable to address this?

I’m not sure what Kalv may have said, you didn’t reference that post, but depending on the situation, this may not be something that a Game Master would be involved with.

Activity like this, which may be considered an exploit, is something that could be penalized by our Hacks team but more likely be a addressed by a developmental change by our Game Developers.

If you have reported the behavior to the Hacks team, they will look into it. What happens from there, may depend on how the Game Developers want to address it but I’m afraid I don’t have any information on the subject.

4 Likes

You could have found it by looking in the first link.

His final post in the thread suggests contacting Hacks@Blizzard.com and he refers to it as a “bug exploit” before locking the thread, under the pretense of preventing the spread of information on how to do said exploit.

Perhaps I’m missing something, but the link you have in the most recent post isn’t in your first post.

The first link in your initial post is this.

And this:

Specifically, he refers to the ability to transfer from an account upgraded with Shadowlands to one that is not. That should not be possible in accordance to how our Character Transfer system works.

The referral to Hacks is if you have information about the exploit. It is for investigation purposes, so our Hacks team can check it out. They will likely also be working with QA and the Game Developers to figure out how it was possible and to fix it if it is verified.

6 Likes

Sounds like you might have to be patient there is no quick fix for this. If the hacks team know about it then the powers that be know about it. All depends what the devs see fit to do or not do.

Not up to a gm at this point just yet.

1 Like

Yea, I realize you didn’t look/click any of the links in that first thread I linked… I can see the number of clicks on the various links in there/here.

Ok, so, there is no actual punishment involved for “offenders” then? Alright, well that’s what I wanted to know. Thank you.

Relying on the forums to have an accurate count of unique clicks is a mistake, Vailnite, it is often inaccurate and misleading.

To the point, I did look at both links that you posted, but since I was looking for a Blue reply from Kalviery I didn’t scan the entire thread, but looked for the Blizz tag that would appear on the side if one of us posted in it.

I couldn’t tell you, Vailnite. There may be, but that is not information that our Customer Support team would have.

5 Likes

Honestly, yea, I don’t know how it works, which is why I’m asking, but yea, I am annoyed about the perceived lack of action.

I see… Do you think I should bother reporting players over this, or not? Do you see an appropriate path forward?

I think the most important thing would be to figure out how the exploit works, so if you have that information, yes, forward it to our Hacks team. Individual reports are likely not necessary.

4 Likes

I appreciate the clarification. Thank you for your time.

2 Likes