Question on Character Transfer Between Accounts

I was looking at the Limited Time Character Transfer Sale in the launcher, and went to the support page to look at the limitations.

One particular line stood out to me:

You cannot transfer a character from an account with the latest expansion to an account without the expansion

Is this information accurate, or is it wrong and outdated? This means I should not be able to transfer a character from an account with Shadowlands, to an account that does NOT have Shadowlands, correct?

I ask because I have encountered players who have done exactly that. They have transferred a toon from a Shadowlands account, to an account without, for the purpose of twinking at level 50 (they gain access to covenant abilities which they can’t have with a BFA-locked account).

If players are somehow managing to transfer characters from a higher level expansion to a lower level one, they are doing an exploit that can get their accounts perma-banned.

1 Like

They have been taking advantage of a situation that should not be possible, yes. There have been a couple posts here and there over the past few weeks that have reported this being doable.

But it is not by design.

4 Likes

Do you know if the blues have made any official statement on this?

Not sure they will. In the past, players who have taken advantage of something broken in the game have been punished, typically with account closures.
All an official statement does is make more people look for the exploit.

Not being able to transfer characters from a higher level expansion to a lower level one is information included in the transfer faq.

Taking advantage of a flaw in the process, particularly as the restriction is clearly spelled out, would not be looked upon kindly by Blizzard.

People in the past have argued that if the game lets them do it, it must be ok. Blizzard doesn’t buy that argument.

4 Likes

Found this post here from Kalviery:

And wanted to link it here in case anyone else comes looking for a direct answer to this issue.

3 Likes