Giving blood elves a black skin tone is a bit lazy

I wouldn’t go as far to say that he is the only person with a problem here.

I’m not against the idea of Lore, however black elves and diversity should have ALWAYS been a part of WOW from the start. So as Jarring as this may be to some, those of us who have been waiting almost two decades to play someone who represents us are more than ok with the change. I’m Horde, who else can be “black” on the Horde? What other human-like races exist over here? I guess we can call scrabble to the Alliance if we want to be represented…

Or play an undead…

I am not against the addition of Lore, however I personally believe any already established Lore that says that these Elves cannot be dark should be altered. It annoying always being an outlier to be included in something. It’s like the black naruto village all over again, can’t we just be a part of something? Seemlessly integrated part of something.

That’s the issue here. It was Lazy for Blizz to add them without changes, and even as we argue back and forth on the forums they pour thier recources into something entirely unrelated.

2 Likes

I’m all for the added customization Blizzard added, but it was added for the wrong reasons. It was a Pr move based on things happening in society at the time.

Anyways liked your post because it was a good read. Thanks for the reply.

3 Likes

I just got this man’s autobiography. Reading it as we speak.

However, I would prefer disingenuous acts as opposed to overt racism.

Addition of Black Blood Elves 16 years after game launch with no explanation or changes to existing lore. Disingenuous.

Not adding us in the first place however…that’s a different story.

Actually.

Back in 2013-2014 a popular wow artist was harassed for depicting one of her two main characters as having dark skin.

As a response, a large number of people began lobbying for Blizzard via Twitter and Tumblr to give Blood Elves dark skin in the WoD avatar update.

People have been asking for this for six years.

5 Likes

They’re making more out of it than it needs. They’re exaggerating that skin color is necessarily a lore issue.

3 Likes

For me I wish for humans that they add at least story beside Stormwind humans or Kul Tiran humans. I’d love to see what backstories in WoW would have for different human kingdoms.

It’s the reason I like the Redguard over the other human races in Elder Scrolls; they have such a different and cool culture.

1 Like

yorae, these sycophants will never look beyond “racism” because they want the power they think the word gives them.

they don’t care that this is a separate world, a separate and non-existent race. they only want the win and to move on, they are beyond rational thought of any kind, so you’re wasting your time trying to speak with them.

2 Likes

sigh
I saw: I was talking about the lore of an established fictionnal universe and how to expand it, they are opposing me representation as an argument.

It’s not my fault if Blizzard established that elves changes their color skin depending of the power they are using (Well of Eternity, Sunwell, Nightwell, Void and even Fel for the eyes).

Every others skins tone for the elves has an explanation. Even for the Void elves we can easily explain that they can revert to their original skin through mastery of the Void because we have Aleria Windrunner as an exemple.

Why a black skin should be an exception? Why can’t they suffer to just have two lines of explanation like the others skin tone for the elves?

Beyond Rational thought? “Sycophants”

Are you sure you want to take this route?

I wouldn’t argue that many people in this feed are racist, but that they do not understand racism and therefore are a little detached from experiences they don’t understand.

Lore is important, and I wouldn’t be against Blizz changing the original explanation of the Blood Elf to include other skin colors.

However. Representation > Lore.

2 Likes

Keep in mind, that you too are also arguing over this separate and non-existent race.

1 Like

I think a lot of use would prefer that Blizz update existing Lore to include them. However, it’s preferable that brown elves not be different Lore wise that regular Blood Elves. Can’t Dark skin Elves just be integrated into already existing society? Why do they need to be thier own race, with thier own lore? Why does my Blood Elf have to be different from the others?

These questions should be directed towards Blizz at this point who have probably noticed this feed going for months and have offered no explanation.

1 Like

Kind of a weird point to try to make. If representation matters, then implementation does as well.

Not that there’s even a conflict with dark pigmented elves in lore to begin with however. This isn’t Tolkien’s mythos where elves were purposely described as being fair-skinned. In that setting you might need some hefty lore explanation for why black elves suddenly exist. But WarCraft needs no such explanation because its was never stated that elves are are only light-skinned.

2 Likes

Representation poorly executed, bah.

Also at people saying owners can do whatever they want to their product.
Sure they can, but I still own 3 old VHS copies of an older edition of Star Wars because Han shot first, I remember Anakin’s ghost being Sebastian Shaw not Hayden Christensen, and various other minor reasons.

I don’t understand why some of you are acting like lore is some sacred text that needs to be followed perfectly. WoW lore is full of retcons and inconsistency. Black elves is nothing. They exist now, get over it.

4 Likes

i want blue taurens now…

…OH , DK tauren have a blue skin…noice.

About elfs…

They have the…SUNwell again, right ?

SUNwell…SUN…well…SUN !!!

It’s normal to have a nice dark skin, that is great !

1 Like

In Chronicals they said the High Elves turned pale because of their distance from the waters of the Well of Eternity. Dath’remar was actually light purple before he turned pale. Now I see a lot of people saying dark skinned elves are in lore but I’ve never seen it. Please, PLEASE link me a resource to this. I’m not trying to be confrontational, I’m actually a big lore nerd and want every bit of it I can get. So please, share this with me so I can expand what I know! Thank you. <3

I use designer magics to make my skin look good.
Quit trashing the kids choice of skin tone. They’re trying. And actually looking not half bad at it.

Simple the ones with the darker skin tones are from half elf stock and from Dalaran which would make perfect sense. There lore is satisfied. Now no need to say it is lazy of the Devs, etc.

Devi from the novel Twilight of the Aspects was a dark skinned high elf from the alternate timeline where Thrall had died in infancy.

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Devi

5 Likes

Thank you so much! I haven’t read Twilight of the Aspects so I didn’t know about Devi. I am going to track it down now.

1 Like