Giving beta only to subs makes no sens

You really like to take simple statements and go your own way with them dontcha? This is a Beta for a patch that actually released and was played by millions over 13 years ago. Blizzard has clearly stated that its going to be a very small beta pool. They owe you jack. They indicated that a sub is one of the metrics for picking people for the extremely small pool of testers. Dont like it? Sorry. You are more than welcome to stop paying them…oh wait, the people who want in but cant get in already stopped. Like every subscriber who doesnt get into the beta, you are welcome to resub and play it free on 08/27. Heck, they are even going to let you premake 3 characters two weeks earlier. Now, you can either sub, and still likely not get in like the rest of us or you can not. Either way makes no difference to me.

its really not ridiculous to expect a company to do the pro consumer thing that they have always done in the past.

1 Like

Ok, at this point I blame you for missing it.

My original post was sarcastic. Obviously there should be considerations other than ‘what choice will make us the most money in the next seven days, time after that doesn’t exist’.

You arent making complicated statements, they are really straight forward its not like there are multiple ways to interpret them. This is a beta for a game that Blizzard made this year, sure its based on a game that was release 15 years ago but Vanilla and Classic are not the same game. Yes, I am one of the 99 million people that no longer pay a sub for WoW. I really dont get why people think its entitled for other people to expect a company to do something that is pro consumer especially when Blizzard is currently doing it with current WoW and have done it in the past. Classic is not free it will cost $15 dollars a month to play.

Actually, WoW retail will cost 15.00 a month and Classic is free with it. Its not a hard concept. As to the beta, almost nobody will get in because they clearly stated many times that, other than the 3 two day stress tests, it is going to be kept small. For example, I have played since the beginning, have done almost every beta so far, have an active account, and have absolutely no expectation of a beta invite because… Wait for it… Ion said they werent putting that many out there.

You’re absolutely right.

It makes no sense.

What’s the point in inviting tourists who likely neither played nor fouth for Classic at all? Afterall, if you’re a retail WoW sub and enjoy modern WoW, it’s unlikely you played on private servers. And if you enjoy Classic, it’s extremenely unlikely you’d have a retail sub.

1 Like

Its $15 dollars a month for a WoW sub If you see that as $15 for the current game with Classic being free that is on you. For everyone else like me its $15 a month for Classic. I never said I expected to get in to the beta. I have only said that I dont believe its right that people can not get in the beta without a sub.

This will all be forgotten in a few months.

2 Likes

Still kvetching that you wasn’t chosen for a beta invite?

None of this will matter in August.

2 Likes

I am ok that I wasnt chosen to be in the beta, that is still not relevant to my criticism that the beta should not require an active sub.

Well Blizzard says otherwise, and you have no say in the matter. Again, all a non issue in August.

2 Likes

It requires a sub so that you’ll pay the sub for a chance at getting in. Sucks but definitely makes sense bud.

1 Like

It might not make sens but it sure makes $$$.

I miss when Beta’s were for theorycrafters and testing ideas out with people who, while players also had a design mentality and could see a how a full system was intended/would end up by only sampling a tiny piece.

It seems beta’s are not really about collaborative design anymore and industry wide are treated more like a sneak peak/early access marketing piece.

Right?

I enjoy beta testing. I don’t expect to keep my character, that would be silly. The sneak peek is fun but I enjoy finding things that are broken and sending in a heads-up and trying it again later and seeing that it got fixed. I like feeling like I am part of the community and helping make a better, smoother running product. I am married to someone in the software industry so I know how to make useful bug reports.

I have been hit with a lot of nasty accusations here by rabid fans of various big name streamers; that my input must be useless because I am not popular, because of the class/spec I am posting under (???), that I am clearly a troll, that I am “entitled”. Sad that the “community” has degraded to the point that unless you back some toxic streamer who screams obscenities at his screen all day for the amusement of his fans and openly brags about having broken the T&C yet is rewarded for it by Blizzard you are considered as having nothing to contribute.

Oh god not me that is some of the most tedious stuff to do… try to intentionally play the same task a thousand different ways to find the bugs and exceptions urk. I am a big picture guy, for me my high point was WOTLK beta when I was involved in the AE tanking debates (one of the few voices of reason), post TBC paladins were the “correct” choice for dungeons, in wotlk they were going to focus on making each tank even at raid tanking single target mitigation, without looking at full toolkit (i.e multi/ae tanking).

I think its more that for the iterative type bug testing they have internal QA guys who do that round the clock in alpha builds so even though the bugs still exist they probably have them tracked and fixed in conflicting builds or scheduled to be fixed later before they launch beta’s.
Beta’s these days are gearing more towards the promotion side, like “here is a subset of what the final product will look like lets start getting feedback and creating hype” - which streamers are perfect for because not only can they reach a large audience the platforms can also aggregate positive and negative responses.

I had a sub sandwich for lunch today.

I mean its just $15, imo just sub and stop whining. Gotta pay to play, if youre passionate about classic i think you would pay $15. I spend 10-15 on lunch daily, im sure you wont miss the $15 sub, just like i wont miss another thread like this when people stop making them…

If subbing guaranteed beta access, you might have a point.

But it doesn’t.

I have battlenet balance from farming gold in BFA. It would cost me zero real dollars to sub. I’m still not going to sub just for a tiny chance that I might get a beta invite.

It also depends on where you fall on the calculus regarding the “tourist” aspect and “you think you do, but you don’t.”

Their target audience isn’t the BFA subscriber base, but for them, the active sub requirement doesn’t matter.

For the ones who think they want Classic WoW, or want to play tourist, the Beta is “a problem.” So in terms of trying to “recover their costs” with respect to the “You think you do, but you don’t” and the Tourists, you make them play for the chance to do so before the game goes live.

So yes, it is a cash grab, after a fashion. But as demonstrated elsewhere, Blizzard requiring an active Subscription for World of Warcraft beta tests isn’t new or unique to this test. From what I can see, it looks like the subscription requirement went away with Mists. So particularly in respect to Classic paying your subscription fees for the ability to beta test is authentic. You had to if you wanted to beta test TBC and Wrath after all.

All of that is feedback but why would anyone say anything about 1.5 av when bgs aren’t suppose to be there in phase 1.
You sound very elitist “I hate opinion that don’t agree with me so they are elitists.”.